• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Un-clipped band :-(

bikerlady

:cry:Hello everyone, you might remember I posted back in April that my band wasn't working. I hadnt had any restriction since December 2011. My providef THG, just kept telling me to have another fill and each time I told them there was no change, I had my last fill at the end of June and as expected, no change. So I was advised to get an X-ray £250, I contacted my surgeon and his secretary said I could book through her at a cost of £160, THG initially said I couldnt do this as it would affect mt contract (as much use as it is) with them. But when I told them the surgeon who will review the results was the one who performed my operation, they agreed. I had the x-ray last Friday, I was expecting them to say I had a pouch as this is what the nurse told me would be the problem! I was gutted to find out that the band has become unclipped and I could cleary see the fluid I drank run straight through without slowing at all. I now have to wait for the surgeon, Mr Li to review the findings, but the radiographer said the only way to fix it is to have surgery, which I cant afford....I had my op in April 2011 and I am now the weight I was before I had the band fitted. I am so gutted about it all. its never been right since day one! Any help/advice/similar experiences? thanks all xx

I have no advice etc as I havent had my op yesterday, but what news ~ am not surprised you are gutted. I hope that you can get some solution moving forward.

Kat x

Surely you wouldn't have to pay again?, as this is a faulty op with poss faulty equipment!, through no fault of your own!

I really hope you get this fixed, good luck x

Oh no, how upsetting for you. I agree with Gnomes, this sounds like a clear case of supplier failure, at the very least they should have checked it was working properly before they kept filling it surely! I would get advice on your rights, from the Citizen's Advice or a Solicitor, before paying out anymore money.

Good luck with it, hope THG realise the error of their ways and do it again for free.

Thank you all, I have to wait for Mr Li (surgeon) to view the x-ray and speak with radiologist, but I am sure I will need surgery and I can bet my life on it that THG wont do it for free. I will let you know what happens. Meanwhile I will speak to a solicitor and see what they think, hopefully I will get sorted though xx Good luck all

I had my band fitted 2 years ago and hadnt lost hardly any weight in the first year (2 stone) then last year i was due for my final fill and the swallow showed the same as you that the fluid went right through, i wasnt sure how long this had been happening though as i had never felt restriction, but it seemed that the tube on the port had come away?? I was so upset and thought that as it wasnt my fault i was covered!! but no i had to pay 1100 to have it fixed and after i had the surgery i still didnt lose any more weight? never felt any restriction and feel completely let down by this op, i know it was suppossed to be a tool but i felt it gave me no help whatsover, so now im paying again for a bypass, words cannot describe how disheartened the band made me feel.

thanks for sharing this, its awful and I just think that all that money too.

I hope it can be sorted out for you xx

awh bless you Michelle, you have been through a dreadful time,I know how it feels for you, so very upsetting and dissapointing. I truly hope the bypass works for you. who was your provider? xxx

thank you all for your comments. we all have such high hopes of the op being successful, after all, by the time we get to the point of opting for surgery, we have tried everything there is. Like 'Misshell' (sorry for spelling it wrong earlier) I followed their advice, diets and everything. I told them months ago something was wrong but they didnt listen to me. I havent got a clue why it came unclipped, I just hope it can be fixed :-( Good luck everyone xxx

Id be inclined to write directly to both your provider and surgeon advising of your intentions to seek recourse!

:cry:Hello everyone, you might remember I posted back in April that my band wasn't working. I hadnt had any restriction since December 2011. My providef THG, just kept telling me to have another fill and each time I told them there was no change, I had my last fill at the end of June and as expected, no change. So I was advised to get an X-ray £250, I contacted my surgeon and his secretary said I could book through her at a cost of £160, THG initially said I couldnt do this as it would affect mt contract (as much use as it is) with them. But when I told them the surgeon who will review the results was the one who performed my operation, they agreed. I had the x-ray last Friday, I was expecting them to say I had a pouch as this is what the nurse told me would be the problem! I was gutted to find out that the band has become unclipped and I could cleary see the fluid I drank run straight through without slowing at all. I now have to wait for the surgeon, Mr Li to review the findings, but the radiographer said the only way to fix it is to have surgery, which I cant afford....I had my op in April 2011 and I am now the weight I was before I had the band fitted. I am so gutted about it all. its never been right since day one! Any help/advice/similar experiences? thanks all xx

Aww I really feel for you, that is just devistating! I think that is most banders worst fear. I think THG should take some responsiblity and repair it for you. Its not like you put the clips in or you undid the clips...
I have only been banded 4 weeks and so I am not that experienced. I hope you get some answers to help you though, I truly feel for you :(

Can i just say my mum has had a few operations with THG over the years one went wrong ( getting rid excess skin on arms) and they corrected it for free, the latest op a bypass she had a year ago and something has gone wrong and they need to correct it again there will be no charge.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Thank you Bella's band, Its a week tomorrow sinse the xray and I havent heard from anyone, so I will chase it up and let you know how i get on xx

Hay bikerlady, I am a bypasser so don't really know anything about banding but wanted to say I hope you get it sorted and they do for free but I would seek legal advice!
Good luck much love xxx

Hello everyone, i hope your all ok and doing well. Just a bit of an update, its been ages since I posted, but to be honest its very slow going. I have been waiting to for the surgeon to review the xray results, all i know is he agreed with the radiographers findings, the band is unclipped :-(
They now have to send the results to THG, so again I am waiting, all the while my weight is creeping up and up :-( Im not helping myself, cos Im so fed up I keep eating things to cheer myself up then immediately regret it! I am justv hoping that THG will put it right for me and not charge me, but I doubt that will happen. Please dont let my experience put you off, I dont regret it at all, my only regret is going to THG. Id still do it again, only with a different provider. I'll up date when I have some news, good luck to you all xxxxxx

Good luck biker, hope you get it all sorted asap. xxx

Back