• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BAND UNCLIPPED - Second op yesterday

bikerlady

Hi everyone, I have been on here for quite a while now but sadly my gastric band op failed after only a few months. The band had become unclipped, a very rare complication by all accounts, but one I believe we should all be made aware of, which I wasnt, and in a recent consultation with my surgeon, he said he still wouldnt tell new patients it was a potential problem. I had a revision procedure yesterday, which I have had to pay for, and i have lost 10 months of my 2 year aftercare. I dont know if the surgery went well as the surgeon never came to see me before I left and I was asked to leave by 7am.
I hope it has been a success, but to help me along, can you pleeeeeeeeeeease offer any dietry advice for now and the future. Your help is really appreciated, i desperately want this to work..........Good Luck guys xxxx

I'm so sorry you have been treated so badly, hope things go much better for you from now on. Sorry I can't offer any advice as I'm a bypass rather than a band but I'm sure someone will be along soon to help out.

Love Kate x

Hi Kate, thanks for the reply, nice to hear from you. I am hoping things are better now ive had the second op. You look amazing btw, you should be very proud of yourself hun, well done xx

Hi bikerlady! I remember your original post about the unclipping, and that you would have to pay for corrective surgery.

I am still mad about that! As I'm sure you are, too. But what matters now is that you recover from this second op as quickly and safely as possible.

Take care of yourself, rest up, and remember that we are all thinking of you and sending you blessings x

Biker lady, contact your provider to ask the to chat through / email / mail you their guidance. For some of the providers their guidance has changed over the past year, so best to get up to date info. Hope you are feeling well though xxx

Thank you all, I had the op at Dolan Park too. I am drinking thin liquids, milk shakes, water with lime & lemon, drinking yoghurt, oxo and tea & coffee,just seem to have been drinking all day :) so if you have any ideas, that would be great. I have also got some slimfast shakes and milk shakes which I will drink over the next few days. Your all really kind taking the time to contact me, i really appreciate it :)

Hi Bikerlady,
I was drinking ovaltine, fruit smoothies with ice, slimfast shakes with ice, fruit juice and squash for 2 weeks after surgery. You really must follow it to the letter because of your previous experience. On the mushy stage, I was eating mash with minced beef and onion, mash with salmon and cheese sauce, scrambled eggs, omelette for 2 weeks.
i had a 10ml band fitted with 3.7ml put in at surgery. I've had 1 fill since surgery of 1.5ml, so 5.2 in total. I've been very lucky to be honest, there doesn't seem to be anything I cant eat, as long as I chew everything really well. The latest from my provider(THG) at Dolan Park, is that I could try fizzy drinks and that I may/may not tolerate them, and I can, but dont want to push my band too far!
I do have restriction, I cant eat as much as before, but i've noticed lately that i'm feeling hungry every 2 hours. I dont think it's 'head hunger' that everyone talks about as my stomach is actually rumbling!! Must be time for another fill!
Good luck on your journey
xx

bikerlady said:
Thank you all, I had the op at Dolan Park too. I am drinking thin liquids, milk shakes, water with lime & lemon, drinking yoghurt, oxo and tea & coffee,just seem to have been drinking all day :) so if you have any ideas, that would be great. I have also got some slimfast shakes and milk shakes which I will drink over the next few days. Your all really kind taking the time to contact me, i really appreciate it :)

Hi biker lady I'm having my band done at Dolan park on Wednesday reading this is very worrying I'm already scared to death of op I really don't know if I'm in safe hands :( x hope u are feeling ok xx

Thanks again for your replies, and for the diet advice Lillypersian. I was given a fruit smoothy and a smooth yoghurt the morning after the op (wed), but I havent had a yoghurt at home, just the drinkable type. I think its difficult knowing how much you should drink/eat at this stage. You have to have plenty of fluids/water but as the food is liquid too its difficult knowing how much and when so I have kept sipping at stuff all day really, all I have had today is water, coffee and drinkable yoghurt. And I am conscious that you havent to drink/eat at same time! I dont want to do anything wrong, so I will continue with liquids for 2 weeks as advised, I havent felt hungry at all but definitely a bit woozy headed when I do anything. Just out of interest, what size plate do you eat your meals off? thanks again :)

Hi Maxine Kim,
you are bound to be worried and nervous about the op, but don't let my situation put you off. Everyone is different and I am sure you will be fine. Follow the guidance and do things right and I am sure you will see the results you long for. I hope everything goes well for you, good luck. Please keep us informed of your progress. xxx

bikerlady said:
Hi Maxine Kim,
you are bound to be worried and nervous about the op, but don't let my situation put you off. Everyone is different and I am sure you will be fine. Follow the guidance and do things right and I am sure you will see the results you long for. I hope everything goes well for you, good luck. Please keep us informed of your progress. xxx
Hello biker lady , thank you for your kind reassuring words & i am glad u are ok now but i am very worried about my op now , Im very shocked u had to pay for a second op when it was not your Fault then getting no support after :( can I ask u who was your surgeon ? ..
I wish u a Speedy recovery I will let u know how I get on only 5 days to go :) x

I tried to stick to meal times on liquid stage.

I had slimfast for brekkie (not a full one)

WW tomato soup for lunch (only half a tin at first)

other half of tin of soup for tea

Maybe another slimfast in between (not a full one again)

and hot milky drinks/drinkable yogurt as snacks.

x x x

Back