• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Un-clipped band :-(

I'm do sorry for all you have been through hun I too was woken at 5:30 am to be discharged by 7 even though i was only operated on around 5 the evening before!! and although I asked for co codamol for the 2 hour drive home I was given 20ml of calpol! I was in so much pain when j got home I sobbed good job i had this site and the advice to buy soluble co codamol I'm also having trouble with esophogeal spasms which is probably due to band I'm aware that corrective procedures a
Have a 6mnth timeline and wonder off they'll stall to prevent having to operate on me again hope things are sorted for you soon doll xxxx

Oh, kells - yet more inconsiderate treatment! Turfing someone out at 7am some 14 hours after surgery strikes me as downright cruel. I must surely be seriously behind the times in the rights and wrongs of such procedures, because hearing this stuff shocks me!

Bless you both. Bless everyone currently struggling x

This is a scary thread - I'm hoping to pay for a sleeve gastrectomy but I'm worried about having to pay more if the procedure goes wrong. I will have to read all the small print or get my solicitor brother to anyway.

Hugs x

You're right - it is indeed scary. You will be wise to check-out any and all possible blips, setbacks or possible added financial demands, beforehand. All the best x

I'm having a band fitted in January and have to say, this thread is so terrifying! I was thinking of going with THG and have a consultation with them next Wednesday! Reckon ill leave it out now... So sorry to hear about your rough journey! Big hugs- sad it had to be such a bad experience but will hopefully all be worth it when you are feeling slim and sexy!

Xx

hello everyone, thank you all so much for your replies and kind words. Its now been 11 days since my op. I have been sticking to liquids and done a bit of rooting around on the internet for more guidance. I heard from THG 2 days after op, I think it was a nurse or dietician. She said I would get an appointment in 2-3 weeks. I havent had a reply back from the surgeons secretary, so I still dont know the exact detail of what he found. I have wrote a letter asking that they refund the cost of the second op and that they extend my band fills to make up for the time lost. I have sent the letter to a solicitor to ask advice. I am sorry if this has made some of you worry, but I think if you are thinking of having this surgery, you should ask your surgeon if band unclipping is a potential risk, no one mentioned it to me, and my surgeon told me he still wouldnt tell anyone about it, which I feel is wrong. It is disgusting that they want you out so soon after surgery, but then when I arrived there at 7am, I waited 2hrs in reception before the room was available, and while I sat there, many people came and went, which only confirmed what I aready believed, we are just a source of making money, its a production line, and during all this and having gone through it twice, I have yet to come across one person who works for THG who actually seems to care about me as a person or to really want to see me succeed. I know its terrible being turfed out so quickly, but my first op was worse. I had the op at 6pm, and my wound bled heavily all night, so much so I had 5 or 6 bed and nightware changes, I didnt sleep a wink at at 5 or so in the morning the night staff decided to call the surgeon, who later arrived at 8.30 ish, he glued my wound and sennt me home, even though I felt completely drained and in a lot of pain!! obviously they had another unsuspecting person waiting for my bed. I have nothing good to say about them. I only hope no one else has the same experience as me. I wish you all the very best of luck. I will keep you updated as to how I get on. please let me know how you get on, I hope I can help you as much as you have helped me, so reading your words gives me so much more strength, thank you all so much xxx

Oh, bikerlady! What a time you've been through. It's been one thing after another.

I think it's worth remembering that WLS is an industry - these procedures are big business and they generate huge profits. Wherever there is money to be made you will find shysters of one sort or another. Most people here say they are happy with the pre- and post- op treatment they received but a fair proportion are very unhappy, with good reason. You have been treated very badly; there can be no doubt about that.

Be very kind to yourself, and get your strength up. You may need it all the more should a legal battle become necessary. You may have been keeping a diary of events as they unfolded. Don't forget that your posts here, all dated, detail your problems as they occurred, as well as what you were told at each stage by your provider.

I pray that you are now over the worst, because you've been through the mill x

Thank you very much, yes you are right, I may have a legal fight, but my concern here is the way people are treat. Yes I know it is an Industry and I am in no doubt that 'we' are just a means of making money for the companies who provide this treatment. but I dont believe that gives them the right to treat you like a comodity. Which is why I would pursue this. I think they have a responsibility and duty of care to everyone who put trust in their ability. I am being extremely good and following the diet to the letter. I'll update you as things develop. take care all and good luck xxx

Re

hello everyone, thank you all so much for your replies and kind words. Its now been 11 days since my op. I have been sticking to liquids and done a bit of rooting around on the internet for more guidance. I heard from THG 2 days after op, I think it was a nurse or dietician. She said I would get an appointment in 2-3 weeks. I havent had a reply back from the surgeons secretary, so I still dont know the exact detail of what he found. I have wrote a letter asking that they refund the cost of the second op and that they extend my band fills to make up for the time lost. I have sent the letter to a solicitor to ask advice. I am sorry if this has made some of you worry, but I think if you are thinking of having this surgery, you should ask your surgeon if band unclipping is a potential risk, no one mentioned it to me, and my surgeon told me he still wouldnt tell anyone about it, which I feel is wrong. It is disgusting that they want you out so soon after surgery, but then when I arrived there at 7am, I waited 2hrs in reception before the room was available, and while I sat there, many people came and went, which only confirmed what I aready believed, we are just a source of making money, its a production line, and during all this and having gone through it twice, I have yet to come across one person who works for THG who actually seems to care about me as a person or to really want to see me succeed. I know its terrible being turfed out so quickly, but my first op was worse. I had the op at 6pm, and my wound bled heavily all night, so much so I had 5 or 6 bed and nightware changes, I didnt sleep a wink at at 5 or so in the morning the night staff decided to call the surgeon, who later arrived at 8.30 ish, he glued my wound and sennt me home, even though I felt completely drained and in a lot of pain!! obviously they had another unsuspecting person waiting for my bed. I have nothing good to say about them. I only hope no one else has the same experience as me. I wish you all the very best of luck. I will keep you updated as to how I get on. please let me know how you get on, I hope I can help you as much as you have helped me, so reading your words gives me so much more strength, thank you all so much xxx

Hi I am new to this forum. Biker lady i really feel for you. I had Alan Li as my surgeon last July and I must say this was the worst time in my life. Where to start first of all i was told he was due to go off on annual leave on the day after he finished my gastric band operation need i guess this could have resulted in my operation being a total disaster. When he operated on me he fixed a hietus hernia at the same time as doing my gastric band, when later i wakened up feeling like i could not swallow anything then the hiccups started and never stopped to which they sent me home but within a day i was rushed into hospital as i could not swollow my own spittle, to which the local nsh hospital refused to do anything for me on advise of THG, to which i had to get on a flight from Northern Ireland to Birmingham to be seen by another much better surgeon who operated on me that evening to find that the original surgeon Alan Li had cut a hole in the lining of my stomach resulting in my band tighting up resulting in a major obstruction to which he told me i could of died in another few days if it had been left. But after operation 2 the band was totally removed after the infection had kicked in. I was soo shocked that Alan Li refused to come and see me after the first operation to tell me what had be preformed and of any complications, not a word from him, but worse was to come as i had lost total trust and respect for THG i asked for a refund to which they declined but offered to redo it within 6 months to which to say im very frightened to do again and i had been off work after the 2 operations and my boss in not willing to let me off again for such surgery and not say the lost wages and stress of the failed 1st operation. While i had a meeting with my local THG nurse i have now refused to let Alan Li anywhere near me mainly out of fear of another failed operation. I would not reccomend Alan Li to anyone after what i went through.

Thank you, Mac80, for your valuable honesty.

This particular surgeon's name has come up in a negative sense more than once here and elsewhere. Your personal story is sad and shocking - that you might have lost your life is just awful; bikerlady has stated that Mr Li also avoided speaking to her directly after her removal op, despite having assured her that he would.

There are many complaints and even lawsuits currently pending against TGH. Some are class action suits - where added complainants are welcome.

I am very sorry that you have had to endure such suffering and danger. You may have a case against Mr Li, personally, as well as a case against the group that employs him. Remember that every surgeon or consultant or doctor has a continuing duty to all patients (this duty does not end after WLS).

That you were actually damaged in a life-threatening way by Mr Li is very serious. He can and should be held accountable for his actions. You might have died!

I can well imagine that you would love all of this to just go away, but I believe that you are entitled to recompense, as well as to considerable damages.

Blessings to you and yours, and good luck x

Hi Bikerlady, did you have any other symptoms to this unclipped band?

I too had surgery with Mr Li, I was told I would get a surgical review with him a few months after my surgery but never got one.

At my last fill appointment I mentioning that I sometimes had an uncomfortable port, the nurse (who is lovely) said that I needed to keep an eye on my port as many of Mr Li's patients have problems with the placement of these.

Sure enough a few days after my fill it had felt like I had pulled the muscle attached to my port, it was so painful and everytime I sat with my knees up to my chest felt like something was trapped under my ribs.

Ive had very little to no restriction since October and gained a stone and a half back thanks to this. Im now worried that something may be wrong and cant afford the price of an xray let alone corrective surgery thanks to being made redundant last year.

Back