• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Undeserving WLS story in the Mail...

Yvessa said:
I am a little saddened by the amount of judgement on here about disabled people. Until you have walked a mile in their shoes, how can you judge whether an individual can manage a job? How dare you judge?

I hardly think you can compare this woman's attitude with people who suffer daily and cannot predict how they will be from one morning to the next.

This is by no means judgement on disabled people. My judgement is on lazy people who are sponging off the tax payer. £200 on takeaways is a joke and if she is feeding her kids that amount of crap everyday that is neglect.

Yvessa I think you are missing the point of our debate... I have not seen anyone make judgements about disable people - perhaps you need to read the posts again. We are all saying that tall, shorts, fat, thin, diabetic, MH issues, one legged Asians, blind people, back problems, LD it does not matter - the 'majority' of people are able to work in one way or another.

What we are all doing is judging that woman in The Sun article, saying that she is taking the p*** and disillusioned about WLS! I have not seen it written that she is disabled. I don't think any of us are that poorly educated that we would be making judgements on disabled (through no fault of their own) people, so I am sorry that you feel we are. x

Perhaps you don't see this as judgement, Oonion, but the implication, certainly by Karlos, and also to some extent by your post is that apart from a very small amount of people whose disability is so severe that they simply can't function they don't really want to work.

My point was that there are people who on their good days seem like normal people, but on their bad days cannot function. And they have too many bad days to hold down a job.

And I will own up to being sensitive on this issue as I have had to defend my partner more than once against my own family. And he is trying his hardest to get well and become fit for work. He gets little or no recognition for this from people who know him well, so I maybe mistook your comments somewhat.

However, I do stand by what I said, the comments above do seem judgemental and particularly the fact that only physical disabilities were mentioned as very severe.

You can take my comments however the chuff you like, I've worked in Remploy sites and in a myriad of other institutions where people with unbelievable physical and some mental disabilities turn up each day and contribute to incredible levels. These people get my ultimate respect because they refuse to allow their pain and disabilities to prevent them from having as normal productive life as they can. In my current situation some days the pain is outrageous yet I've yet to miss a days work because of it, and I take 14 pain killing tablets including morphine capsules and liquid morphine each day to get me through so please don't harp on to me about my comments.

Those that genuinely physically cannot work should rightly be protected by the state if they cannot support themselves. However those with far less disabilities than many who go to work each day and who allow their difficulties to give them the opt out option will never have my respect or support.

You stand by your comments as much as you like, and I'll stand by mine, but I reckon for every person who cannot physically work there will be a hundred bone idol chuffers using it as an excuse.

I don't think its as simple as that. I think there are people who are not officially "the worst off" who still can't work. I won't take your comments personally Karlos, although it seems you've taken mine that way.

I do find it worrying that despite the field you say you work in, you describe some of the people you work with as just not wanting a job. Surely, you of all people should be open minded?

I don't deny there are scroungers. I don't deny there are lazy people. But I suggest you think carefully about what is meant by employability. I'm sure my partner could do some voluntary work once a week but instead he is the main carer for our daughter, plus he is trying to get a degree. So anyone who wants to work will try to, but that's not the same as being able to. He still may not get a job at the end of his degree.

I know some people who could blatantly work yet are on disability. I know others who are so severely bipolar it would be impossible for them to function in a work environment. I know some people who work despite being riddled with illnesses and others who have never worked a day in their lives.

I live in central Birmingham and see people of all types.

So for every case I would have a different view point. Just like we all have a different view point on here. But within our different views we can keep it civil. We can agree to disagree without hostility :)

Fuffs said:
I know some people who could blatantly work yet are on disability. I know others who are so severely bipolar it would be impossible for them to function in a work environment. I know some people who work despite being riddled with illnesses and others who have never worked a day in their lives.

I live in central Birmingham and see people of all types.

So for every case I would have a different view point. Just like we all have a different view point on here. But within our different views we can keep it civil. We can agree to disagree without hostility :)

Yes exactly everyone is different and it's quite offensive for people on the sick to be told "as long as you can breath you can work" as it's not always the case x

I would love to work, but my issues is not a disability as such its a hygeine issue.

If I have to use the toilet I HAVE to shower after.

Show me any employer that could cope with me rushing home every time I need to use the toilet!

I would love to work, but my issues is not a disability as such its a hygeine issue.

If I have to use the toilet I HAVE to shower after.

Show me any employer that could cope with me rushing home every time I need to use the toilet!

Thats a clear example of an individual case that cant be put under an umbrella.

Thats why the government have such a hard time working out who should work and who cant work. We are all so very different.

Hope this is something that can sort for you in time (((hugs))) xxx

Thanks, still waiting for a DLA tribunal.

I've been told lump can be removed once I've lost a lot of weight hence the VGS.

The lump fyi is 43" in diameter!

Thanks, still waiting for a DLA tribunal.

I've been told lump can be removed once I've lost a lot of weight hence the VGS.

The lump fyi is 43" in diameter!

OMG!!! Really hope that can be removed! Not nice :( Good luck with the tribunal xxx

Thanks It hangs to my knee's and touches the floor if I kneel down!

So looking forward to it going....

Thanks It hangs to my knee's and touches the floor if I kneel down!

So looking forward to it going....

Poor you (((hugs))) I hope you lose weight asap so that can be gone xxx

Fuffs said:
Thats a clear example of an individual case that cant be put under an umbrella.

Thats why the government have such a hard time working out who should work and who cant work. We are all so very different.

Hope this is something that can sort for you in time (((hugs))) xxx

At my heaviest 31 stone I had similar issues, however I only worked 4 hours a day and had to wait to go to the bathroom when I got home. I worked in a call centre and could never think of increasing my hours due to the nature of my weight and issues. I used to often contemplate going on sick leave as daily existence was very hard work - eventually it gave me the kick up the bum I needed to get help!!

I work full time now, in central London no less serving customers in a Bank!

I see this debate from both sides, I've been on both sides every person has individual exceptions and reason. For me not working was never an option.

xx.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I think the thing that annoyed me about that woman is she said she only wants to lose weight so she can go on holiday.
I think everyone on here wanted/wants the op so they could just have a normal life not just cos they wanted to go on their jollys

I have never been on a 1 or 2 week holiday abroad. I am not hard done by. Money has never allowed. But my op is defo not for that! How superficial!

I am self employed and have been since 2010. I have no health problems. I just get on with it :D I feel blessed to be able to say that.

I am physically disabled after breaking my back whilst 8 months pregnant with my eldest child 14 years ago. I had a spinal fusion op 7 years ago which put a bolt through my sciatic nerve and as a result I have chronic central nerve damage, chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia. I do get dla. I also work 40+ hours a week as a child and adolescent forensic psychologist involving much travelling and stressful and demanding work. Then I am also mum to 7 children aged between 13 and 1. I have had periods when I have been on sick leave but have always worked, I have no choice, who else will pay the bills.

I actually agree that there is a job for almost everyone and so much is mind over matter. If I did not work I would be in such a worse place than I actually am. People always ask me how I cope and some fibro sufferers Who go to the support group make me mad with their excuses. Work does not have to be paid employment but could be voluntary. Internet based, phone support. Something to make someone want to keep their mind alert and give purpose to a day. Looking after a child and studying is work in my eyes, if you can manage that then there are many 'jobs' in certain situations he could manage. With adaptations and in line with the disability employment laws these changes would have to be made.
I know someone who is about 35 stone. She is unable to get a seatbelt around her in almost all cars and literally does nothing as she gets out of breath so quickly. She calls it ME and was hysterical after a dla assessor told her that her biggest disability was her weight nd there were no signs of ME. We are all different and all have different things that make us want to achieve each day.

This is such an interesting thread with so many opinions and peoples views...I thank my lucky stars that I live in a country that allows such freedom and expression of peoples views!

I don't think its as simple as that. I think there are people who are not officially "the worst off" who still can't work. I won't take your comments personally Karlos, although it seems you've taken mine that way.

I do find it worrying that despite the field you say you work in, you describe some of the people you work with as just not wanting a job. Surely, you of all people should be open minded?

I don't deny there are scroungers. I don't deny there are lazy people. But I suggest you think carefully about what is meant by employability. I'm sure my partner could do some voluntary work once a week but instead he is the main carer for our daughter, plus he is trying to get a degree. So anyone who wants to work will try to, but that's not the same as being able to. He still may not get a job at the end of his degree.

So if he is the main carer for your daughter and gets paid to do this - is that not a job?

It sounds as though you are tender and have clearly been hurt by peoples comments in the past - but you have to remember none of us know your partner so how on earth can we be judging him?! It's great we all have our own opinions and feel able to express them on the thread.
:D

Back