• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Undeserving WLS story in the Mail...

Being on higher rate DLA doesn't necessarily mean you'll get the absolute maximum amount of money available. I know someone on higher rate and they only get 70 a week.

Jamast said:
I'd love to know where this man got his mis-information from as when I first had my accident, I was on the highest possible rate of DLA for both mobility and care and I got £500 a MONTH (for the 6 months that I needed it). it does not open doors to anything else apart from a disabled parking badge!!

That's the main problem with judging other people - so much misinformation and prejudice even from those of us who profess to being non-judgemental.

He didn't say DLA alone got you £330. He was from a charity that represents people who are vulnerable. And said if people access all they are allowed to, claims including DLA would get them £330 a week.

So no judging people. He was there to help people. Helped some of the people who attend our community centre fill in the right forms to get the right money.

So a nice help.

Fuffs said:
He didn't say DLA alone got you £330. He was from a charity that represents people who are vulnerable. And said if people access all they are allowed to, claims including DLA would get them £330 a week.

So no judging people. He was there to help people. Helped some of the people who attend our community centre fill in the right forms to get the right money.

So a nice help.

And I wasnt 'judging' anyone either. Just saying what we was told in the speech.

Being on higher rate DLA doesn't necessarily mean you'll get the absolute maximum amount of money available. I know someone on higher rate and they only get 70 a week.

There are two components to DLA - care and mobility. I received the maximum possible award for both which totalled £500 a month (the same levels have gone up sionce and now total £526 a month). SOme people only get one component depending on their levels of 'need', and other people qualify for both components.

And I wasnt 'judging' anyone either. Just saying what we was told in the speech.

Yes Fuffs, I do realise that you weren't judging anyone. I wasn't making any personal comments about any individuals, I was saying that this man was misinformed, or that perhaps had his own hidden agenda and as a result was passing on his own judgements about those on DLA.

Jamast said:
Yes Fuffs, I do realise that you weren't judging anyone. I wasn't making any personal comments about any individuals, I was saying that this man was misinformed, or that perhaps had his own hidden agenda and as a result was passing on his own judgements about those on DLA.

He was there helping our lovely elderly and disabled community centre members to fill in forms and get what they are entitled to.

And I am glad you realise I wasnt being judgemental. As far as possible it is setting I try to avoid.

I will now bow out of this thread. I will retreat to the peaceful calm of my sanctum. My diary :D

He doesn't get paid. He is 'just a dad'. He faces a lot of nastiness from both his family and mine for not working. And while yes, he is studying and being one hell of a dad, I suspect he would not get a job. And that is just a sad fact.

I would never have personalised this discussing individual cases but seeing as you have and playing devil's advocate here, what's wrong with him doing bar or petrol station attendant work at night, or working weekends when you're home etc etc? if anyone can't go out to work what's preventing you from working from home even if it's just stuffing envelopes? If the will is there the work is there, so I'm sorry I can see your family's issue. Millions of students around the world work part time to pay their way through uni etc and still study, my sister in law was a primary carer for her disabled MIL yet still worked five days a week around her carer duties.

Lots of single parents manage to work around their kids to improve their finances, a woman who works with my wife has four part time jobs that she fits in around bringing up her family, she finishes her last job at nine thirty at night and starts her first job at six in the morning, she is a chuffin hero in my eyes as she could easily sit on her arse and let the state pay to bring up her kids.

My mind is wide open over this issue and as I have said several times there are extreme cases where any kind of productive life is simply not possible and in those few legitimate cases it's up to those of us who pay tax to bale out the needy, however for every case such as those mentioned here where going to work would be difficult there are hundreds, no thousands of lazy gits taking the mick. The posts by Cicca and Sar are two shining examples of people with real character who put their difficulties behind them and just get on with it, for them I have huge respect. The problem is the welfare state makes it too easy for lazy bone idol scroungers like my brother in law for instance to pick the pockets of those of us who work.

These are just my views and not worth a can of beans but if they offend anyone frankly I don't care a jot. Where an individual really cannot work then it is my duty as someone who can to give a portion of my wage to protect that individual, that's how a moral, caring, Christian society functions and I have no problem with that whatsoever. What I do have an issue with is the thousands of shiftless wasters who won't work, not the very few who can't

Her mind is broken and needs fixing she needs help to get off the fixation with food she's aditcted there is absaloutey no need wat so ever in calling her a fat lazy cow she has an addiction simple as that!

I was/am a food addict it never stopped me working because although I was fat I was not a fat lazy git, and she is a fat lazy cow. Why should I and millions of others work each day to keep her in takeaways? I earn a great wage and couldn't afford this woman's weekly food bill so what gives her the right too?

There's a man I know who is severely obese. I don't know his weight exactly but he has been this way all his life and he is 55 now.

He has never worked a day in his adult life and relies on benefits, DLA etc. He has recently moved in to a home specially adapted for disabled people, with wide doors, walk in shower ramp etc. He can barely walk because his legs buckle under his own weight. Has nurses that come by each day to wash him and stuff.

Just like the article, he spends all of his money on takeaways each night and online shopping. He has done nothing at all to try and loose weight, his doctor has even at one time suggested he have weight loss surgery but he refused because he didn't want to loose the ability to eat whatever he wants (his words).

What sickens me is the fact that the government is continuing to pay this man a ridiculous amount of tax payers money so he can continue on with his ways. He obviously has a huge addiction to food but I can't understand why they don't cut his money so he's physically prevented from buying so much food. Instead, they just gradually give him more and more money as his condition worsens.

My point exactly, people like this are not deserving of our taxes

I had to give up work 2 years ago due to disability. Up to that point I had always worked, even while on higher rate DLA. My youngest now goes to nursery 3 days a week as I am physically unable to care for him properly by myself (hubby works). The 2 days he's with me are extremely hard. It is heartbreaking as a loving mum to have to admit that you can't look after your own child without help. Some would say I shouldn't have had him, but beforehand I was healthier, and had raised his brother without help. This pregnancy made my problems considerably worse. Now, I need help to shower myself and bath the baby, I use an electric wheelchair to get about outdoors, and am completely reliant on the kindness of friends and family.

Recently I heard about a pain management program at a local hospital for people like me who have chronic pain and don't work. It ran daily 9-5 for 2 weeks, then 2 days a week for a further 6 weeks. It has a long waiting list. I know I could not physically manage to attend on that kind of structure, but many do. Surely if a person can do that then they can work in some capacity?

I would love to work. I loved my job and it broke my heart to have to stop. I lost my sense of identity and felt like a burden to society and to my family.

I'd give anything to be

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I loved my job too and had been their for 10 years :( I made a career out of it, would give anything to take my ailments away and go back it was a perfect job. X

I really sympathise with you Shel, and you Suzie. I hope that something will give you some relief against your pain. I cannot understand how it feels to live every day with that kind of pain and uncertainty and I can only send kind thoughts your way.

Karlos said:
I was/am a food addict it never stopped me working because although I was fat I was not a fat lazy git, and she is a fat lazy cow. Why should I and millions of others work each day to keep her in takeaways? I earn a great wage and couldn't afford this woman's weekly food bill so what gives her the right too?

Never said it did give her the right to spend £200 on food this forum is ment to be about encouragement not giving childish insults

I used to be an It consultant. In south africa I started my own company which revolved around my own accounting software package. Was pretty successful and quite a confident person. Divorced, came home to England, and had to start all over again. Lost my daughter, and my world fell apart. I am classed now as disabled, not through physical problems, but because of severe depression etc. But I study, and I work 2 shifts a week at my local tesco, just to stop myself retreating into nothingness completely. I am in my 3rd year of my english degree now, and hopefully one day will be able to think about working again full time and contributing to society in some measure. But I do know that the benefits system helped me immensely when I was unable to work at all. I think it is like anything in truth. It will be abused by some, but is so necessary for the genuine cases...

Never said it did give her the right to spend £200 on food this forum is ment to be about encouragement not giving childish insults

If you think I'm going to waste my time encouraging a lazy good for nothing like this woman, or worrying what you think about my posts you're sadly mistaken.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the way I understand it, this thread appears to have been started by quoting the article as an EXAMPLE of what the majority of the general public THINK those of us who have/go for WLS are like. It seems to have turned into a thread where we pass judgement on other people.

To be honest I tend to ignore most of the media (especially Newspapers such as the Daily Mail/Sun etc) and the majority of magazines as no matter what information they get from their interview subjects, they will write the article to suit their particular viewpoint/audience and in a way that is likely to make them more money. They are there to make money, not to print the truth.

Following on from what I said yesterday (quoted above). Today I have met a family who did appear in the Daily Mail. I remember coming across this particular article some time ago - the way they were portrayed was/is vastly different from the reality of the family I have met today. This person did sell her story to a magazine (for a 'good cause'). The Daily Mail ultimately stole her story, completely rewrote it to suit their own agenda and were responsible for making this family's life a living hell for sometime. How do we know that they haven't done exactly the same thing with the woman in the article at the start of this thread?

Jamast said:
Following on from what I said yesterday (quoted above). Today I have met a family who did appear in the Daily Mail. I remember coming across this particular article some time ago - the way they were portrayed was/is vastly different from the reality of the family I have met today. This person did sell her story to a magazine (for a 'good cause'). The Daily Mail ultimately stole her story, completely rewrote it to suit their own agenda and were responsible for making this family's life a living hell for sometime. How do we know that they haven't done exactly the same thing with the woman in the article at the start of this thread?

Yes completely agree :)

Always a possibility but as we don't know we can only comment on what we read. Dating that I don't read the mail!

Back