• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Weighing Daily

Nicnac_

I just can't stop.

Everytime I get up of a morning I end up weighing myself I know I need to stop this, anyone else got into this habit? Got any advice can offer........

I weigh daily. Why is it a problem?

I feel like I'm getting obsessed with it!

Maybe not a bad thing then. I just think back to days before bypass and if was dieting and scales didn't move that would lead me to cheat!

I feel like I'm getting obsessed with it!

For me it's just habit. I would stop weighing if I knew I was being bad pre op so denial. Try doing every other day and weening yourself off.

Hi Nicnac, I don't think it is a problem weighing daily, as we all know our weight can vary by a few pounds from one day to the next or within the same day. If you weigh daily you will know whether your weight on a particular day is abnormally high or low, if you weigh once a week or month you don't necessarily know whether it is an accurate weight or a blip up or down.If I've had anything salty or with curry in it I retain about an extra 2 lb of water, if I have a couple of glasses of wine in will lose a couple of lbs. We are all obsessed with our weight and that is no bad thing, it's when we stop being obsessed that we have problems.

My provider says to weigh every two weeks, at the same time of day as too often leads to despondency as there are several other factors (esp for women) that can influence the result. It is so hard.

After a lifetime of dieting, a few years ago I gave up and literally threw my scales away. When I started my WLS journey I bought a new set and during the pre-op Liver shrinking I was on them sometimes twice a day and getting very upset if I hadn't lost or depressed if I'd put on as I was sticking to it ridgedly. Now, I guess I weigh myself every three days which is better than I was pre-op but still not doing as provider advises. So hard to break old habits - and let's face it, we all have gotten here by having too many bad ones. Is too frequent scale use that dreadful? It's a hard one - yes obsessed is one way I might look at myself, but understandable totally

I was weighing myself everyday until I had a stall that lasted nearly 5 weeks at only 3 weeks out an I was disheartened everyday going on the scales an nothing happening. It was really getting me down to the point I regretted the surgery an thought I was the only person in the world the WLS hadn't worked for. My other half hid the scales an now gets them out every Monday morning for me I get weighed an when I come home from work that night they are not in the bathroom anymore. Believe me I had searched high & low for them mid week but not been able to find them but I'm glad if that come the Monday when I can see a weight loss of 1-2kg a week instead of the point something or even nothing I was seeing when getting weighed daily.

im the same weigh myself about twice a day i know its bad for me as your weight goes up and down over the day but i cant help it, i was told when doing councilling about my weight to only weigh yourself once a month take the batteires out and hide them, it helped fo abit but then i went back to my old ways of weighing myself again and again and again

I'm 2 years post op & still weigh myself most days (when I'm at home) but only take notice once a week (Saturday morning after getting up & going to the loo... apologies if TMI... lol) that way if my weight fluctuates (i can go up & down by 1kg) during the week I don't get too upset
I think it's a habit we all get into as in the early days we lose so quickly & as we know habits are hard to break... to be honest it could be a lot worse when I think of my habits pre-op!!! X

I just can't stop.

Everytime I get up of a morning I end up weighing myself I know I need to stop this, anyone else got into this habit? Got any advice can offer........

I'm the same and I know its obsessive. Actually had to stop and reprmand myself from weighing in last night :eek:. I have made a promise to myself that once I am done on preop that I will only weigh myself on a set day of the week prob a Monday. It's going to be hard but it needs done lol

Every week, same time, same-ish nightie. I just record and try not to fret on the results (easier said than done in reality). If they have gone up, I tend to weigh the next day, but don't record.

Does it matter how often you weigh, provided you can handle the results. If they go up sometimes, are you ok with that? If you have a stall (for weeks, months), are you ok with that?

Far better a habit than eating something naughty every day.

I have a NHS BMI tracker app on my phone, it's not bad, it pinged up a reminder last Friday morning as that is usually when I weigh, and I don't think I set one, it just knew :break_diet:

I've come to the conclusion, that to get the very best from this surgery, I have HAD to get a little obsessive. I dont actually weigh daily any more, just when I want to. So sometimes it 10 times a day, then I might go 4 days without, hahaha. I always weigh on Tuesday mornings though, and its the only weight I record.

Thanks everyone - knowing I'm not the only one is a weight off my mind!

I'm not sure how ill react when I get a gain time will tell......I'll see how my little daily weighing goes - my official weigh in and one I record is only on a Friday.

I weigh daily, several times in fact. I have hit a stall just over a week post op as the scales haven't moved for several days now. However, I knew this could be expected so am not worried as I'm looking forward to the loss starting again very soon .

Hi I weigh morning and night! I know that when my weight was creeping up, I never weighed myself. I also tell my husband my weight, not that I have to, but we are in a bit of a competition now and its good sport. After 11 nights holiday, I raced in the house to get weighed at 4am... don't think its unhealthy as I have realistic targets. x

I was weighing myself daily but my dietician gave me a good talking to. She asked how I felt when my weight went up slightly and I told her I felt devasted, that's why she said I should ideally weigh monthly, but have compromised on weekly.
Also when I do get obsessed with the scales I have to remind myself that I went through this process for much more than loosing weight. I did it to manage my diabetes, breathlessness, lack of energy, bad knee. I'm 7 weeks post op and already so much better with all of these, diabetes will be tested in another month or two. Plus I've lost a very pleasing amount of weight!?

I weigh once a week same time etc. have to say it has pros and cons - I don't have a miserable day if I don't lose. But then if I have a gain once it can affect my whole week and I can panic.

Hi I weigh morning and night! I know that when my weight was creeping up, I never weighed myself. I also tell my husband my weight, not that I have to, but we are in a bit of a competition now and its good sport. After 11 nights holiday, I raced in the house to get weighed at 4am... don't think its unhealthy as I have realistic targets. x

It's funny but apart from the medical world I never ever told any one what my weight was. When I started this journey not even my hubby knew. I was quite frankly mortified and embarrassed by it tbh. it was my very guilty shameful secret :eek:
Now my hubby knows exactly what I weigh and will ask how I'm progressing. It's not a control thing for him as he is genuinly interested and excited with all my losses but it certainly does help keep me on my toes ;) x

Back