• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Weight loss ward!

clar01

Im not liking the 'one born every minute' style music, it makes it seem like a funny subject, but I'm hooked!
Sunderland looks like a great place and the cost comparisons are extremely interesting!

This poor 29 year old guy, if I was sat bored in a hospital bed i would buy chocs off the trolley too!
Get a balloon in him and sort the poor guy out!

Anyone on here go to Sunderland? X

Yeah that is a weird one, just send the woman in with papers only!

The more I watch the less I like, it doesn't seem very positive, I'm sure there will be positive stories. I suppose volunteers are hard to come by, although they manage to get enough labouring mothers to bare all on OBEM!

That man is making a mockery of having the life saving chance of WLS.
How the hell can he say it's not his fault it's costing the NHS 250 quid a day when he's scoffing down stuff of the trolley?!
I know it's hard but he needs to get his head around the fact that it's life changing and no-one can help apart from himself.

Sadly,another weight loss programme that has put real people wanting to lose weight with surgery in a bad light.

I thought it was quite positive, in that they highlighted the hoops one has to get through in order to get the surgery. Yes the young guy was sabotaging himself, but it was soon very apparent that they wouldn't treat him if he didn't play ball. The surgeon was great mentioning the cost of the ops against the continuing treatment of obesity related illnesses. Overall Mott bad

I went to Srh that is where I had my bypass. The program did portray how the docs work and how they are strict on weight loss before any surgery and the use of pschiatric help if you need it. It is not an easy option and showing people binge eating is not a true reflection of a lot of people who like the doc said are here for their last attempt at weight loss hence the severity of the operations. Some positive but some negative and infortunately will be the negative most people will see. Same x

I agree about the music Clar01...very poor choice and very patronising almost. I wanted my dad to watch it to help him understand but frankly now I'd rather he didn't. It did not show the patients in a very flattering light at all.

I think it was quite an honest portrayal. Take the cream cake lady for example. She was cheating herself and putting her life at risk by using insulin to meet her weight loss targets. What good would it have done if her story was all sweetness and light?

Poor Sophie with the gastric balloon it looks awful. Fair play to everyone who jumps through all these hoops to get this surgery on NHS. You are amazing x

Unsure if I'll bother with next week's episode, as I found most of it a tad unsettling. Sure there's deep rooted issues concerning individuals who have gained weight. My problem with this show is that those issues should have been kept personal - between the patient and the doctor. Abuse, berievement etc... life hands us such issues on a plate and we deal with it the best we can. What happens after wls and you lose someone dear? Can you binge then? No, at a guess.
Patients accepted for wls have delt with more than enough grief and strife in their own personal life before they are accepted and should not be subjected to such comments like 'Do you know how much this bed costs'? etc. Plus the whole fat-suit scene was pointless and demeaning. I only hope the next episode shines a little more positive light on the whole scenario.

Rant over.

Unsure if I'll bother with next week's episode, as I found most of it a tad unsettling. Sure there's deep rooted issues concerning individuals who have gained weight. My problem with this show is that those issues should have been kept personal - between the patient and the doctor. Abuse, berievement etc... life hands us such issues on a plate and we deal with it the best we can. What happens after wls and you lose someone dear? Can you binge then? No, at a guess.
Patients accepted for wls have delt with more than enough grief and strife in their own personal life before they are accepted and should not be subjected to such comments like 'Do you know how much this bed costs'? etc. Plus the whole fat-suit scene was pointless and demeaning. I only hope the next episode shines a little more positive light on the whole scenario.

Rant over.

Sorry I disagree. Being accepted wasn't enough for that chap, he kept self sabotaging on a wls ward. Why shouldn't he be told how much his treatment is costing per day? He clearly wasn't committed to making the changes he needed to at that point. His four week stay cost the same as giving someone who was committed a sleeve or a bypass. Everything that surgeon said was honest and true. As for the fat suit, it's a way for thin people to empathise with how fat people feel. Being fat is demeaning. That's why people jump through hoops to get bariatric surgery in the first place.

Last edited:
In Ireland we only have one hospital doing WLS and it's a 4 year wait to be seen then you go through the assessments and that takes 2 year then if your lucky it's ONLY 3 to 7 for WLS
I thought that guy was totally out of order with this attitude towards the cost .... If he had to pay or borrow the money he would have more respect for him self ..... Just saying !!!

I have to admit, I found the show quite well put together. I believed it to be very balanced and showed both what the hospital has to do as well as how the patients have to be ready for it.

All of the staff came across (to me) as very positive and dedicated to the work - absolutely loved Peter Small with his comments re cost of surgery vs cost of medications etc etc.

Of course there was some sensationalism within the show and I'm sure many of us would of also let out (if not just thought it) a crass comment like Terry Gardner came out with after he had been confronted (and rightly so) by Peter Small. I would be very surprised if Terry does not regret that, what was no doubt a 'hurt' reaction, 'sound bite' being broadcast.

Some very moving stories and my heart went out to many of them.

And yes, I agree with the other comments about the choice of music - bloody awfull.

I found myself getting very worked up and angry, shouting at the tv in parts. It did seem like the usual 'strange' suspects, psychologically hurt people who lack the foresight to say no to such a public over view of their situation. The only 'normal' one seemed to be the lady who was now looking for work.

To show the binger who was on self destruction and the sweet trolley saga made a mockery of the whole process and that is what people will remember.

As for the 19 year old with the balloon, she lives at home with a supposedly supportive mother, who looked pretty well off. She failed dramatically with a balloon. Where was the support and encouragement? Did you see the size and type of her meals? Makes me very glad that the nhs road is so tough as a tax payer but feel so sorry that this comes to the detriment of those who genuinely want help and are ready to make that change, but can't afford it.

Sara i agree with you on most of those points and I think once again people will think that NorthEast people are idiots, which is not a true representation. Terry did not come accross as too bright did he, and his comments bout how much things cost well nutha 1 that thinks the world owes them a living, vey sad for us in this area. No doubt people will throw their nasty comments at us as we go out to work today x

Back