• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What A Difference A Year Makes

StephieAck

I know Ive changed!
As you can see from my details, today is my one year surgiversary and I wanted to share some pictures with you, comparisons etc.

Firstly...the beginning of this exciting year...
backuppostop.jpg

Secondly...my 'wounds'...one day post op and now...
scarcomparison.jpg

Thirdly...me one year ago and me today..front view...
oneyearonshirts.jpg

Fourth...the same as above but from the side...
oneyearonshirtsside.jpg

Next is a comparison picture...the first one was so horrendous and I tried to recreate it to compare, obviously not the same clothes but pretty close...
yearondress.jpg

And this last one is just one I like, I was pulling a stupid face at hubby on it so I cut that bit out, but I was taken aback at how slim I look on this picture and just HAD to share it...
nicefigure.jpg

So thats the photo part of this thread, now for the reflection and thought.
All this week has been strange, as its moved towards the first anniversary of my new life starting, I felt that same feeling in my stomach as I did this time last year...fear, excitement and I had to remind myself that this is only the anniversary, I dont have to have the surgery again lol
Anyway, last night (Thursday) in the evening, I started to become a bit weepy and was just randomly having some tears here and there. Not sad tears, happy tears, full of gratitude for the chance that was given to me, this wonderful new life I have as a bypasser, the whole thing just overwhelms me and so I havent tried to stop the tears, Ive had three little fits of tears already writing this post lol
I wanted to do something ceremonial to say goodbye to the old me, so I printed out a picture of the old me and I burned it, I put it in a bowl and set it alight and as I watched it burn away and that image vanish, I realised that I dont WANT to say goodbye to the old me...I dont want to ever just be this average woman, I WANT to remember the old me, I was that woman for 32/33 years, I have forgiven myself for letting myself get so big and for needing to resort to surgery and that is enough for me, I thought I needed closure but I dont, I just needed to forgive myself, and I have.
So...was it worth it some have asked...yes, yes and unequivocally...YES!!!
Ok so I regretted it terribly for a good four or five weeks after the actual surgery, but since then things have just gotten so wonderful for me, my health is 100 times better, I have loads of energy and stamina, my confidence, whilst I am still not an extrovert, my confidence IS higher, I dont stare at the ground any more when I walk down the street, I walk with my head held high and not like before, where I felt like I should be ashamed, those days are gone and I love it.
I can now look at myself without wanting to cry...well, mostly, sometimes I want to cry with joy but never with shame and disgust like I did before the operation!
Its not all a bed of roses obviously...I have hip/pelvis pain where the fat used to cushion my joints, that has gone and so now I have pain I didnt have before, but it isnt constant and its managable so that is ok.
I HATE the excess skin where my double chin was, everything else I can hide under clothing but that skin I cant hide, Im praying to win the lottery just to get a neck lift!!! I truly do hate it, but its better than it was before the weight loss so I shouldnt really grumble.
So yes, there we have it, a year has gone by, a thrill packed, confusing, delighting, magical year has gone by, in one sense it seems like it was sooooo long ago but in another sense it feels as though I have blinked and it has passed by.
For those of you that are considering surgery or waiting for your turn...do it!!! It IS life changing and is just so damn awesome, I would do it again in a heartbeat!!! xxx
Lots of love to you all xxx xxx xxx
Steph xx

Last edited:
wow wow wow wow wow stephie, that is amazing!! i hadnt realised you were so big, (i dont meanthat nastily hun), you were still pretty, but now you are beautiful, and that chin you worry so much about, is not even noticable.
i want to wish you a very happy surgiversary, and many more to come. its my 6 month surgiverary on saturday, i cant wait to get my little banner.
i can understand just how happy and content you are now, fanbloomintastic huni. great big hugs xxxxx

Wow Steph You look fab and so slim, u look like you've never had a weight problem. You've done amazing , good on ya girl, well done and a happy surgiversary to you xxx

Aww thanks you guys xxx xxx
Yep Dawn, I was pretty blardy huge, looking at my stats and from what my surgeon said, I wasnt classed as one of the biggest, but because Im small and my arms/legs etc are quite petite, I just looked huge.
Ooohhhh @ your 6 month...congrats xx
Steph xx

thanks steph, i only had fairly slim arms and legs, but i have still lost a fair bit of weight off them, i looked like a weeble with arms n legs, most of my weight now thats left is on my tummy, but dont look too bad, i had a look in my mums mirror today, and i really cant believe how slender i actually look, im shocked. so i can understand how you must feel, cos i didnt have as much to lose as you, and i feel sooooooooo happy and excited. i seem to be losing inches at the moment, either that, or everything is just settling into place, lol. big hugs huni xxxx

Great post, Stephanie!
You look fabulous and really seem to be making the most of things. Very inspirational :)

Hay little lady I've been telling you for weeks that you have done a fantastic job and should be very proud of what you have achieved, your comparison pictures are a stunning testiment to the work you have put in over the last twelve months and you look fantastic

Your post made me take stock of my own journey in a way I haven't before and to read your thoughts on forgiving yourself for getting so big pre op are something I've never considered up to now and you're absolutely right, I'll never forget what you said and thank you so much for sharing that with us

I know Tom has supported you through this and sometimes we forget just how important it is to have someone we love, and who loves us for what we are; and someone who supports us through this crazy journey in the way Tom has with you. You're both very lucky people to have each other

I wish you the very best for the next year and beyond Young Steph. You're a smart cookie and I know you will be one of those who makes this stuff a life long success. Good luck Steph you're a lovely lady (Its the Cheshire thing LOL :D) and deserve all the good things coming your way xxx

Happy surgiversary

Wonderful, inspiring post Steph! You look fabulous! I hope to do as well as you x

What a wonderful post Steph ! You look fantastic, healthy and happy - and as Kerry says, you'd never guess you'd ever had a weight problem ! Your reflections are very poignant too, especialy about forgiving rather than forgetting - that's such a good philosophy. How can we just write off our previous life ? I shall try and remember this for when I come to my surgiversary (7 months away yet !) xx

Good grief the pictures are fantastic , so well done. bUT THE WORDS! I hadnt realised until now that I needed to forgive myself. It is so true and now you have me in tears. I need to think about all this, I think. Sorry abit vague. I'll come back to you.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You look fantastic. Well done. Seeing figures/numbers/tickers is one thing but actually seeing the photo's for comparison allows us to see the true reality of just how much you have lost. The difference is amazing.

I can't wait to be able to do some comparisons. If I can find any photo's of me. I always made sure I was behind the camera ;)

Back