• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What did you tell your boss and work people?

cancerian02

Hi everyone,
just wanted to ask, if you had'nt mentioned it to the people you work with about having the wls, what did you tell them instead? need ideas please as i dont think they need to know. and also ladies:eek:, did the surgeon still operate, when you had your period? sorry about the personal questions!

thanks

I needed all the support I got from everyone. Also, if anything happens at work, someone needs to know, first aider etc.

I told everyone and I got all the encouragement and positivity I could have wished for.

i told a few colleagues to start with - then i realised that they would more than likely, tell other people, so i figured it was better coming from me, rather than it becoming hush hush gossip.

Some were supportive, some were shocked and some looked disguted! But all in all, its worked out well. People are mostly supportive and keep an eye on how im doing.

Its scary to tell people! I felt like i was 'coming out'. Its difficult to tell people something so personal -now it doesnt bother me. I guess thats how some gay people might feel too (i just thought that!)

good luck with what ever you decide x

I have told my close workmates but will not be telling by boss/management.

Its just not a very sympathetic company and I cant trust that they will see it as a positive thing. I doubt I'll get any support from them so I would rather not have to worry about what they think. I will not be paid when I'm off I will only get SSP so I dont feel that I owe them any explanations. They will be told that I am having surgery and as it is of a sensitive nature I do not want to talk about what I'm having done. I will say that I'll be off for a minimum of 3 weeks.

I am dreading telling them though :(

hi, thanks for the replies. i have told 4 close work mates and they are being very supportive and thankfully all of them are first aiders too:D. i suppose im running away from being judged by others. im in two minds what to tell the boss. should i just be honest with her at least and when did you tell your boss?

thanks again

I also have only told close work friends but I'm lucky as off on maternity leave. I would like to think all would be supportive but some dint understand what it's like to be big so will tend to look down their noses but stuff them. Sometimes I agree it's better to be upfront then go don't have to lie but the choice is yours. Out if work I'm telling anyone who wants to listen lol. When I get to work (beginning of sept) hopefully I will look completely different & then I'll tell them xx

Didn't tell anyone...just said I was going in for a 'lady-op' thing....both my supervisors are older males, so I banked on them not wanting to know too many details, which they didn't! I was back to work in under 2 wks anyway (I had a bypass). However, what I will say, is if you think your boss will be sympathetic, then tell them, because you really don't know how you will be feeling post-op. Also, many surgeons suggest at least 6 - 8 wks off post-op. Plus, god-forbid you have any complications, it will be far better for them to know up-front etc xxxx

I can't keep anything to myself and as I work in an office with other ladies, I've told them all!

I have told my supervisior as I had to ask about sick leave/annual leave, and also she'll need to know in case there are any problems later on down the line; and my Asst Team Manager and Team Manager also know - both are female and were interested. The ATM already knows someone who's had it done, so she's really excited for me. So far, I've only had positive comments - even from a fella!

I'm fed up of breaking chairs at work - another one bit the dust last week as the wheel popped off while I was sitting on it... :eek:

I told my 4 bosses what i was planning when i first went to my doctor 2 years ago as I would have needed 3-4 weeks off work and i have no-one to cover most of my role. I just told them this was in confidence and I didn't wish anyone else to be told that was not necessary (they obviously had to speak to Occ. health and HR manager as I requested to work from home for a few hours a day while i was recuperaating) but other than that no-one else was told until i was ready to tell them, which was about 9 months later when i got my surgery date through.
They were all fantastic about it.

Only once i had the op and began losing a lot of weight did i start honestly answering questions from everyone else in the work place :) had loads of support from everyone as they can see it makes me happier and i feel much better in myself

Lol It was my TOTM when i went in for surgery and its no dramas... Just dont take tampons haha.

I didnt tell i went in for something else at the same time so that was kinda handy :)

Back