• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

what do you want from this section of the forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCPM

Fighting on day by day
I'm passionate about getting this section of the forum going. I travel the web looking for help with this frightening journey and always see this as my home. Pre-op and immediately post-op it offers support and expertise second to none. Yet peeps seem to fade away as time goes by and the majority seem to have left the site by the time they are 6 months out.

Shel, I think, posted that eventually however much you wish to be supportive there comes a time when you have seen the same questions so many times and posted your reply you feel other coming behind can answer then just as well..sort of taking their turn. People fade into the background as they feel their life returns to 'normal', they get busy enjoying the new opportunities that open up to them or if they feel they are 'failing' in some way, while this is a reason for others to come back and get advice.

Wouldn't it be great if we could develop this to have areas where we more long termers could chat, discuss issues both good and bad that arise with people that really empathise with what we feel and experience - funny, bad, good, troublesome, relationships, family whatever. A true support network. What would you like to see? What would make it more relevant for you? We could then submit suggestions to the mods/admin and get something going.

Please join in from what I've read elsewhere as we get further out we will all realise the need for support - this is not weight gone for ever or at least not without hard work either mentally or physically. Wouldn't it be marvellous to have a support network backing us up, helping us to stay strong and maximise this wonderful tool we've been given?

M (what the hell is happening to me posting all these threads????)

Last edited:

tesmaralda

CCPM you are a little star. Since my post the other day I have felt so much more positive about things and it did get me thinking.

It is never going to be an easy ride for everybody, some people have no issues at all others like myslef don't experience problems until 7/8 months post op and there is very little support and posts do tend to get lost in the main forum.

I whole heartedly agree that a support network is essential, the info we are all given as new post oppers varies greatly and the info for long termers is virtually non existant. I must admit I don't tend to post so much on pre oppers threads but I always try and support post oppers as I feel my experience is more relivant, as rules for pre op change so fast and so frequently.

Neen

WLS Moderator
It would be nice to have a good crowd of veterans..I think I was getting to the stage where I didn't post recently, mainly because I felt I wasn't doing well enough and felt foolish and that I had nothing to offer as a result. The banders I joined with are pretty much gone..I think it's sad but as I put in a post on the main bit just a few days ago, people drift off when they're successful and also when they are failing and feeling embarrassed about it. (like I did the first time round)
I think experiences shared between those of us, one year on, two years on and beyond..is vital as that's when a lot of us run out of aftercare and steam!

candie

fabby not flabby :)
I too am up for a supportive vibe for us long termers, well done M xx:D

Mixman

It's nice to have a section where not everything is repeated.

I'm not having a go or a moan but I find that the majority of threads are repeated in the main forum and, although I do try and help, I find I get a little frustrated. All the 'What shall I take into hospital' and 'Is this OK to eat' 'Pre op' etc etc. I know I was in the same boat but I searched the forum or referred to my diet sheet or information that I'd been given by my team.

I also do feel a little guilty sometimes. I see people struggling and my ticker, if I updated it, would say I have lost 11 stone in less than 7 month and that I am cycling and going on a cross trainer and walking miles! I know it's very motivational for some people but also very upsetting for others that have had their funding refused etc etc.

Now here, I can talk about things what I am struggling with now, why did I put weight on a couple of weeks ago when I was still eating well and exercising, what should I be doing now in terms of introducing food, what food should I be cutting down on.

It's nice to have a section where all things are relevant rather than sifting through what's not.

I do poke my head in occasionally, especially when I see the 'Sleeve' sub-heading on the threads as I find I am in the vast minority of people experienced ina sleeve thus can lend my experience.

I don't mean or want to sound ungrateful, a few of you have known me for a while now and would like to think you know I'm not like that. It's just with repetition comes a little boredom.

Mickie

Lisa J

CRYSTAL PALACE FC!
I have to agree with miximan and neen, i did stop coming on the site for awhile or at least posting because of the repetivness of it all. I really do hope this section takes off and we can all be there for eachother. Also a huge thank you to M for all the extra effort she's putting in to get this up and running xxx

CCPM

Fighting on day by day
Aw shucks!!

Anyhow I wondered if we could make some concrete suggestions re the way the site is laid out which might make things easier to find and direct people round it a bit easier. These are my ideas so add your own then we could see if we could have a poll or something to gauge opinion.

Suggestions for site sections:
Saying hello
Pre-op - Banders and Bypass
Banders Post op - not so many banders at the mo and must be frustrating looking at posts which don't have the flag in the title. Also different things important.
Bypass/Sleeve Post op (or seperate sleeve as well) in here we have enough peeps to have sections for 6 months out and 1 year+ out and issues become different I would imagine after 1 year. Could also have a section of maintenance as people are there now and it might encourage them to stay around.
Complications

Not sure - join in what do you want to see?

M

Neen

WLS Moderator
It's a tricky one isn't it? I definately think a section for pre -op would help as it's where we get a huge amount of threads about the same thing popping up.
Also mods could possibly move the hellos and my stories threads into the intros and diary sections we already have to save making new categories for those topics.
I think newly post op section would be good for the first six months after op, this could be split to bypass and band if needed but equally could stay mixed.
Then I think anyone six months past could perhaps be encouraged to post in this area and then the section for veterans/maintenance folk included in this area as well.
I was thinking that would split it up enough to stay under some kind of logical order but still encourage people to post in the correct sections...I think everything goes in the main thread because some people fear their post won't be seen enough otherwise?
I don't know, just my musings x

tesmaralda

Aw shucks!!

Anyhow I wondered if we could make some concrete suggestions re the way the site is laid out which might make things easier to find and direct people round it a bit easier. These are my ideas so add your own then we could see if we could have a poll or something to gauge opinion.

Suggestions for site sections:
Saying hello - there is a section in the introductions where people can introduce themselves
Pre-op - Banders and Bypass we did try and set up a FAQ section for each but this isn't used and people will still post first before researching so this will always be a problem.
Banders Post op - not so many banders at the mo and must be frustrating looking at posts which don't have the flag in the title. Also different things important. When the banders were asked if they wanted a separate section it was very split so the decission was made to try and find an alternative but none has really materialised.
Bypass/Sleeve Post op (or seperate sleeve as well) in here we have enough peeps to have sections for 6 months out and 1 year+ out and issues become different I would imagine after 1 year. Could also have a section of maintenance as people are there now and it might encourage them to stay around.This is a great idea.
Complications This is also a good idea can be put to a poll with the other suggestions when we have some more

Not sure - join in what do you want to see?

M

It's a tricky one isn't it? I definately think a section for pre -op would help as it's where we get a huge amount of threads about the same thing popping up. The same things are always cropping up as people don't look at other sections, there is FAQ section and there is separate info about pre op and some in the recipe section as well.
Also mods could possibly move the hellos and my stories threads into the intros and diary sections we already have to save making new categories for those topics. You will be amazed at the amount of time we do spend this and it has sometimes made people not come back as they think their post has been deleted.
I think newly post op section would be good for the first six months after op, this could be split to bypass and band if needed but equally could stay mixed.
Then I think anyone six months past could perhaps be encouraged to post in this area and then the section for veterans/maintenance folk included in this area as well.
I was thinking that would split it up enough to stay under some kind of logical order but still encourage people to post in the correct sections...I think everything goes in the main thread because some people fear their post won't be seen enough otherwise?This is true and some people will always post in the main thread as time is limited and they know it will be seen in the main thread.
I don't know, just my musings x

I will pass things on to the other mods and admin and see what else we can think of. Sometimes too many sections and forums is just as off putting as everything under the main forum thread.

topsy

We do need this part of the forum as you go through your bypass op and you learn how your body adapts to things it is nice to know how others are handling these problems too and are able to give help and advice where it is needed.

Sending hugs with fairy dust to you all xx

Status
Not open for further replies.