• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What is cous cous? and do people manage it ok post op???

strawberry twig

Is a big loser ;)
I am 6 months plus out now and still really struggle with foods especially protein.

I was on hols last week and had a slice of grilled lean bacon and one scrambled egg for breakfast. I was soooo sick, for some reason protein makes me feel so ill altho i'm fine with cheese and milk.

I want to try cous cous but I'm not sure whether to. I can eat sushi ok and really enjoy it and pasta in small quantities, is cous cous the same sort of thing???? Should I try it????

How did u all get on?

I love cous cous... not sure what it is exactly, but I suppose its a bit like rice but smaller grains. I often have it with some coronation chicken as a little salad. A couple of tablespoons of each is a filling meal.

I'd say if you are Ok with Pasta, then you will prob be ok with this. You can buy it in all sorts of flavours in Tesco etc. Give it a try.

I love this too.Not as stodgy as rice I find and I normally use ainsley harrots one, just add water and and few mins voila....delish . x x

I've eaten cous cous since i was about 3 months post op and love it! It's tiny grains of pasta, i soak it off in chicken stock and find it scrumptious! The added bonus is it only takes a few minutes to do, i usually put a couple of handfuls in a bowl cover it with chicken stock about half a inch above the cous cous level cover the bowl with cling film and in about 3-4 mins fluff it up with a fork and it's ready, you can add anything to it which makes it very versatile!

As far as I know cous cous is a wheat product. Tradtionally a lanb stew is made and cous cous is placed beneath the stew where the juice gently drips on to it and thus cooks it. I am only 3 months out and use the Ainsley Harriot ones. I cook it by covering it in boiling water. When it is cold I throw in whatever is to hand, feta cheese, diced cucumber, olives, skinned diced tomatoes. I packet makes enough for two of us, I have about a quarter and OH has the rest!

I had spicy cous cous with roasted peppers and mixed beans. I love it, have been eating since prob 3-4 months post op.

Try it xx

I love couscous so I'm really pleased to see so many people getting on ok with it post-op. It's the perfect replacement for rice/pasta :)

For those of you who like couscous have you ever tried bulgar wheat? It's very similar to couscous, which is semolina wheat, but is far more nutritious and has a much lower GI value. Bulgar wheat is equivalent to brown rice, whereas couscous is equivalent to white rice.

Last edited:
Will have a look out for that Twiggie, thanks

couscous_306x230.jpg
Couscous is a small granular type of pasta which is made by sprinkling durum or hard wheat semolina grains with cold salted water and rolling and coating them in fine wheat flour.

I find it can be very dry and can sometimes get stuck unless ate with a sauce, i.e. Lamb Tagine mmmmmmmmmmmmm

thanx for putin this thread up hun ive often wondered about this to as i loved it b4 op but havnt tried it since but im not sure wether i can have it coz ive not seemed to do well with pasta i can eat a lil bit of the spaggetti type pasta but nothin else so i might giv cous cous a try and see if im ok lol thanx again for askin this question hehe very interesting thread lin.x

cous cous is made of semolina wheat and the flavoured once are good I have no probs eating it

For my lunch today I had Morrocan chicken cous cous with spinach salad and OMG it was delicious.

It feels like it's going to stay down too. :D I have just opened up a whole new world.

Thanks everyone

I love couscous so I'm really pleased to see so many people getting on ok with it post-op. It's the perfect replacement for rice/pasta :)

For those of you who like couscous have you ever tried bulgar wheat? It's very similar to couscous, which is semolina wheat, but is far more nutritious and has a much lower GI value. Bulgar wheat is equivalent to brown rice, whereas couscous is equivalent to white rice.

Yes, I also love bulgar wheat and pouch seems quite happy with it too.

Glad you enjoyed it Tammy. x

ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh i also wondered about bulger too nice one my friend does a gorg one a bit spicy so i think i will have to ask her to do me some next time i visit hehehe

Back