• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What REALLY happens after surgery?

I’m trying to get my head in the right place, just in case I ever actually manage to get my bypass (!!!) and I’m wondering if any post by-passers can help.
There are some things I really like, such as cheese, crisps and haribos – not in an addictive, every day, sort of way, but when I fancy them, nothing else will do.
What will happen after my op? Will my desire for these things just stop, or will it be the case that they will make me feel so ill, that I just can’t face eating them? I understand that my op will be a ‘tool’ to help me lose weight, but when I read post-op stories I seldom (if ever) read a post that says ‘I pigged out today …’. So, is it that the desire goes, or is the desire still there, as strong as ever, but physically, you can’t eat the things you crave?
Thanks,

Last edited:
I’m trying to get my head in the right place, just in case I ever actually manage to get my bypass (!!!) and I’m wondering if any post by-passers can help.
There are some things I really like, such as cheese, crisps and haribos – not in an addictive, every day, sort of way, but when I fancy them, nothing else will do.
What will happen after my op? Will my desire for these things just stop, or will it be the case that they will make me feel so ill, that I just can’t face eating them? I understand that my op will be a ‘tool’ to help me lose weight, but when I read post-op stories I seldom (if ever) read a post that says ‘I pigged out today …’. So, is it that the desire goes, or is the desire still there, as strong as ever, but physically, you can’t eat the things you crave?
Thanks,

Very good question!

(((hugs)))

Well, this is tricky to answer but I will give it a go, if I get it wrong post-oppers please correct me. No, your cravings do not go away, they are just buried a bit like the sand buries shells in the tide. You will have less hunger at first so you may not truly want much to eat. You will notice that things will taste different than they did pre-op. Early post-op you are more sensitive to dumping so if you do try something loaded with fat & carbs, you may get sick. As you get further out, hunger comes back along with cravings and the desire to have unhealthy foods will definately increase.

You are the only guaranteed police that you may have to protect you from going back to unhealthy eating because some people don't dump easily from sugar and fat. You should try during your early recovery post-op to tackle your unhealthy eating habits so that when you are further out you don't sabotage your own efforts. People who have had surgery can 'pig out' by eating mostly empty calories or grazing throughout the day. But to be really honest, those who do don't come here and post about it. Not sure if they just don't say or if they stop coming here for support when they feel they have gone off the path. I however have known bypassers not connected to this site who have binged on high fat/high calorie foods without being ill, they also managed to re-gain weight and are quite unhappy about that. It can happen and does happen. The way to be sure that does not happen to you is to change your lifestyle and make a commitment to being healthy. Once you have made those changes you can in a controlled way have unhealthy things occasionally because most of the time you are eating healthy. The 'a little of what you fancy' attitude can serve you well if you have control over your eating but make sure you do the work first sorting your habits out.

HTH,
Nic:D

That's exactly how I've understood it too Nic

The question is, why would you want to go through with all the pain and stress etc, then lose weight, but then put weight back on again!

I'm thinking of my operation as a gift. As a fantastic opportunity given to me to start leading a healthier, more 'normal' happy life again.
i have no intention of blowing it!!!

Well, this is tricky to answer but I will give it a go, if I get it wrong post-oppers please correct me. No, your cravings do not go away, they are just buried a bit like the sand buries shells in the tide. You will have less hunger at first so you may not truly want much to eat. You will notice that things will taste different than they did pre-op. Early post-op you are more sensitive to dumping so if you do try something loaded with fat & carbs, you may get sick. As you get further out, hunger comes back along with cravings and the desire to have unhealthy foods will definately increase.

You are the only guaranteed police that you may have to protect you from going back to unhealthy eating because some people don't dump easily from sugar and fat. You should try during your early recovery post-op to tackle your unhealthy eating habits so that when you are further out you don't sabotage your own efforts. People who have had surgery can 'pig out' by eating mostly empty calories or grazing throughout the day. But to be really honest, those who do don't come here and post about it. Not sure if they just don't say or if they stop coming here for support when they feel they have gone off the path. I however have known bypassers not connected to this site who have binged on high fat/high calorie foods without being ill, they also managed to re-gain weight and are quite unhappy about that. It can happen and does happen. The way to be sure that does not happen to you is to change your lifestyle and make a commitment to being healthy. Once you have made those changes you can in a controlled way have unhealthy things occasionally because most of the time you are eating healthy. The 'a little of what you fancy' attitude can serve you well if you have control over your eating but make sure you do the work first sorting your habits out.

HTH,
Nic:D

Thanks, Nic.
Good advice, as always xxx

I agree, 2 weeks post op I can confirm I have no interest in food at all and only have my shakes/soups because I know I have too. I discussed at great lengths with my consultant my eating habits, and asked how on earth this op could help with whats mixed up in my head. He said it won't totally solve the problem but will certainly get me off to a good start. I haven't had any cravings but sometimes over the last few days have felt a bit 'deprived' as the family, well life and meals continue as normal. For the first 6 weeks I know I could do some damage if I break the rules which is a perfect time to get to grips with food v healthy lifesyle. Re dumping, I had a slim fast milk shake and was sick as a dog due to sugar content. Take my advice, you really don't want to go there I never want to experience that again!
There is no way after what i've been through and still going through that I am going to let the weight return, be strong and positive but realistic, bypass is not a miracle cure.
Good Luck x

I agree, 2 weeks post op I can confirm I have no interest in food at all and only have my shakes/soups because I know I have too. I discussed at great lengths with my consultant my eating habits, and asked how on earth this op could help with whats mixed up in my head. He said it won't totally solve the problem but will certainly get me off to a good start. I haven't had any cravings but sometimes over the last few days have felt a bit 'deprived' as the family, well life and meals continue as normal. For the first 6 weeks I know I could do some damage if I break the rules which is a perfect time to get to grips with food v healthy lifesyle. Re dumping, I had a slim fast milk shake and was sick as a dog due to sugar content. Take my advice, you really don't want to go there I never want to experience that again!
There is no way after what i've been through and still going through that I am going to let the weight return, be strong and positive but realistic, bypass is not a miracle cure.
Good Luck x

Reading this, am I on the right track if I say it's going to be like an ex-smoker who for a few seconds has an urge to smoke after abstaining for 15 -20 years? I can relate to that, but does this make my food/eating habits an addiction?

I smoked many many years ago and would never dream of smoking again, I detest the smell now...but just on the very odd occasion and for a fleeting second the urge hits me, but only for the briefest second.

I hope just like I would never smoke again, I develop that attitude to the the eating habit I have now.

(((hugs)))

That's exactly how I've understood it too Nic

The question is, why would you want to go through with all the pain and stress etc, then lose weight, but then put weight back on again!

I'm thinking of my operation as a gift. As a fantastic opportunity given to me to start leading a healthier, more 'normal' happy life again.
i have no intention of blowing it!!!

Nic's post is how it is and how it should be.

Mixman, I agree with you but! With the caveat that what goes on in our heads with regard to food cravings and a bad relationship with food does not go away with the surgeon's knife.

I am now some 14 weeks post op and at first, didn't have the urge to eat - well, I couldn't for the first 4 weeks because I was on fluids only (as per my surgeon's regime), then on 'sloppies' for a further 4 weeks before gradually reintroducing what I call 'grown up' food.

I have found that my attitude towards food has changed - I no longer use it as a tool but more of a fuel (which is what I guess it should be in real terms).

But I do find on odd occasions my head giving me permission to slip back into the bad old ways. Occasionally my head will say 'O go on, have that biscuit/crisps/chips' or 'skip that meal'. None of which is healthy, especially because as a bypasser, I can malabsorb or dump (though thankfully or not, as the case may be, I am not a sensitive dumper like one of my diamonds on this forum).

My main problem is that because I am not food-obsessed any more and my pouch doesn't behave in the same way my whole stomach used to I often forget to eat and worse, drink (water).

I have found that I am completely rubbish at organising myself which I feel has reflected in my slow losses. It is extremely unhealthy to compare yourself with fellow losers, as we are all vary wildly in start weight body shapes etc, but as an obese person desperate to lose weight, losing 1-2lbs a week after a drastic re-plumb and seeing people consistently losing 4-5lb a week can be quite soul destroying. For me anyway.

But! I have no one else to scrutinize for that but me. It is my body, my head and only I can remedy any wavers or ills.

I am extremely grateful to be seeing a bariatric psychologist and my first (pre-op) encounter with him is documented in my blog. I am going to revisit that particular entry and have a good hard think about why I have taken this road and how I can my personal wheels turn smoother along it.

Gosh, I ain't half gone on a bit! :eek:

Last edited:
Red, you go on as much as you wish, that's what we are here for. You are doing fantastically and 1-2lb loss is a permanent loss remember. In your head you are still the same size you were before the operation, you are not noticing the difference everyone else sees. Hopefully before long your head will remind you to eat/drink enough.

It is extremely unhealthy to compare yourself with fellow losers, as we are all vary wildly in start weight body shapes etc, but as an obese person desperate to lose weight, losing 1-2lbs a week after a drastic re-plumb and seeing people consistently losing 4-5lb a week can be quite soul destroying. For me anyway.

I read this and thought wow, I wonder how many people feel this way. Do you remember that weight record that Sam put up for excel? Well I have used it and I wanted to point out something. I am 40 weeks out from the start of my pre-op. In that time I have had 14 weeks total that I had a loss of 4 or more pounds. That is 35%, so that means that 65% of that time I have had a 1-3.5lbs per week loss. My average is currently 2.98lbs per week and the only reason that is even that high is that I lost 20lbs in two weeks on the darn pre-op! It turns out that 19 weeks of that time I lost 2lbs or less per week which is 47.5% of time. I am within one stone of my original goal after 8 months (just over 2 stone from my new lower goal), I have lost over 8 stone but I also have had nearly 50% of my weeks with a 2lbs or less loss. Do you think me successful? I do and I know you are too! If you want to see my chart let me know and I will send it to you. Keep the faith and don't any of you out there worry about weeks with 1-2lbs losses, they are normal and happen all the time.

Hugs,
Nic

1-2 llbs loss a week is normal wls isnt a race, any progress is good progress xx

I am using that chart aswell Nic and have gone from obese 3 to obese 1 and on average at the mo I am loosing 3lbs a week.

I sometimes find it hard to be bothered to eat Some days I have my 3 meals some days I have one. Before my op my meals were normally health my problem was the crap I ate between meals. Work for me is the problem 1 night a week I do a sleep over and tend to graze. The other night I went in the kitchen at work to make a cuppa for the ladies and get them some biscuits and without thinking a put a maryland cookie in my mouth why I dont no, I dont even like cookies and just took it out and put it in the bin. I also like bread and I have no probs eating it (wish I did) but i have rationed myself to one slice of seeded a day. It is very hard to get your head into gear. But I have lost 6stone and I am proud of myself I am still dont like my body but I dont think I ever will. I have been with Pete for over 4 years and he has never seen me completley naked as I find my body repulsive and I think well if I dont like it why would anyone else. Hope that all makes sence lol

..... I have been with Pete for over 4 years and he has never seen me completley naked as I find my body repulsive and I think well if I dont like it why would anyone else. Hope that all makes sence lol

That's so sad. I may not like my body right now for a variety of reasons, but I like me. You know what my husband says??

'a body is just a bag to put the bits in'.

I was a nurse for more years than I can shake a stick and have seen them all...and some of the people that have stuck in my mind all these years have been far from body perfect, yet when they walked in a room, they shone.

I hope you learn to love yourself inside and out real soon.

I read this and thought wow, I wonder how many people feel this way. Do you remember that weight record that Sam put up for excel? Well I have used it and I wanted to point out something. I am 40 weeks out from the start of my pre-op. In that time I have had 14 weeks total that I had a loss of 4 or more pounds. That is 35%, so that means that 65% of that time I have had a 1-3.5lbs per week loss. My average is currently 2.98lbs per week and the only reason that is even that high is that I lost 20lbs in two weeks on the darn pre-op! It turns out that 19 weeks of that time I lost 2lbs or less per week which is 47.5% of time. I am within one stone of my original goal after 8 months (just over 2 stone from my new lower goal), I have lost over 8 stone but I also have had nearly 50% of my weeks with a 2lbs or less loss. Do you think me successful? I do and I know you are too! If you want to see my chart let me know and I will send it to you. Keep the faith and don't any of you out there worry about weeks with 1-2lbs losses, they are normal and happen all the time.

Hugs,
Nic

So right on all levels, Nic and a good 'get it into perspective' slap for me! lol!. I'll have to dig that chart out and use the bleddy thing! See what I mean about rubbish at organising myself? I am an expert organiser - except when it come to myself! D'oh!

1-2 llbs loss a week is normal wls isnt a race, any progress is good progress xx

I know Liz and I rationalise that all the time. All loss is good loss. But I guess the frustration with the bulging flab wins over from time to time.

I am using that chart aswell Nic and have gone from obese 3 to obese 1 and on average at the mo I am loosing 3lbs a week.

I sometimes find it hard to be bothered to eat Some days I have my 3 meals some days I have one. Before my op my meals were normally health my problem was the crap I ate between meals. Work for me is the problem 1 night a week I do a sleep over and tend to graze. The other night I went in the kitchen at work to make a cuppa for the ladies and get them some biscuits and without thinking a put a maryland cookie in my mouth why I dont no, I dont even like cookies and just took it out and put it in the bin. I also like bread and I have no probs eating it (wish I did) but i have rationed myself to one slice of seeded a day. It is very hard to get your head into gear. But I have lost 6stone and I am proud of myself I am still dont like my body but I dont think I ever will. I have been with Pete for over 4 years and he has never seen me completley naked as I find my body repulsive and I think well if I dont like it why would anyone else. Hope that all makes sence lol

Teen, you are quite right to be proud of yourself. Bl**dy well done gf! :clap::clap::clap: I look at your photos on FB and the difference is amazing. I know exactlky where you are coming from with regard to the not doing the nake dthing. My OH adores me (his words, not mine) but after years of hating my body and ergo myself, it's such a hard habit to break.

I was a nurse for more years than I can shake a stick and have seen them all...and some of the people that have stuck in my mind all these years have been far from body perfect, yet when they walked in a room, they shone.

What a beautiful thing to say. Yes, people do shine becaus beauty does come fom within. Over the years I have known many 'body beautiful' people whose inner ugliness has let them down. Pity them, for there is no remedy for a rotten soul.

Hugs,
Nic

So right on all levels, Nic and a good 'get it into perspective' slap for me! lol!. I'll have to dig that chart out and use the bleddy thing! See what I mean about rubbish at organising myself? I am an expert organiser - except when it come to myself! D'oh!

I know Liz and I rationalise that all the time. All loss is good loss. But I guess the frustration with the bulging flab wins over from time to time.

Teen, you are quite right to be proud of yourself. Bl**dy well done gf! :clap::clap::clap: I look at your photos on FB and the difference is amazing. I know exactlky where you are coming from with regard to the not doing the nake dthing. My OH adores me (his words, not mine) but after years of hating my body and ergo myself, it's such a hard habit to break.

What a beautiful thing to say. Yes, people do shine becaus beauty does come fom within. Over the years I have known many 'body beautiful' people whose inner ugliness has let them down. Pity them, for there is no remedy for a rotten soul.

Re the opening post -- just going to share my experiences as I am 3 months post op and I definiately still have urges to indulge in some treats, but you do end up really monitoring the sugar and fat content of what you are eating.

So for example, I might have a few crisps but I'm very unlikely to eat the packet. Chocolate makes me dump, I can have one or two pieces but then I'm done - - you really won't want to eat the whole bar.

Haribo - - well - - I wouldn't as I'd be in a sweating mess on the floor from the sugar in about 30 seconds after eating them. Because dumping really isn't very nice, your mind adjusts as you start seeing your old food friends as hazards and you just probably won't want them in the same way as you do now. It's hard to explain.

Overall, I think there's good news for you in that afterwards, with a few exceptions, a tiny little bit of what you fancy won't kill you - - but it might make you dump

By the way, I'm also losing 1-2 pounds a week max (probably down to the odd crisp!).. but hey .... once gone they are gone forever.

yoyo
x

I'm just about to come up on 12 months post op, I have to fight daily to stay away from "junk". I find that I am hungry all the time and snacking on junky foods is all to easy.
My hunger now is at the same level as it was before the op, obviously I fill up much quicker on less food but I find I'm hungry again about 2 hours after eating so I'm having to be very carefull what foods I'm taking in.
I try and hit around 1000 cals a day.

Thanks, All, for your replies.
I think, really, what worries me is that I am so weak-willed at the moment. I can't get my head around how that will change after my op. Don't get me wrong - I will do EVERYTHING I can to make the most of my opportunity, but when I read post-bypassers stories everyone seems so angelic :) It seems like no one ever goes off the rails - I just hope I will be able to live up to that.
I'm really not expecting my bypass to do all the work - I know I will have to work with it, not against it. I just hope that I can do it.

It's brilliant to have you all to share thoughts and anxieties with xxx

Back