• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What REALLY happens after surgery?

I'm just about to come up on 12 months post op, I have to fight daily to stay away from "junk". I find that I am hungry all the time and snacking on junky foods is all to easy.
My hunger now is at the same level as it was before the op, obviously I fill up much quicker on less food but I find I'm hungry again about 2 hours after eating so I'm having to be very carefull what foods I'm taking in.
I try and hit around 1000 cals a day.

how much fluid do you have per day. I still find that when i feel hungry i still need to have a drink first to make sure that it is genuin hunger and not thirst. Invariably it is the latter and i am in effect rarly hungry out side of my three meals aday.

I'm just about to come up on 12 months post op, I have to fight daily to stay away from "junk". I find that I am hungry all the time and snacking on junky foods is all to easy.
My hunger now is at the same level as it was before the op, obviously I fill up much quicker on less food but I find I'm hungry again about 2 hours after eating so I'm having to be very carefull what foods I'm taking in.
I try and hit around 1000 cals a day.

Hey, I ditto what Carole said about fluids. Also wanted to suggest another possibility if it isn't fixed with fluids. You lost a serious amount of weight in the last year and I bet your metabolism has changed. You may have a faster metabolism now and that is why you 'burn' you food so fast. It might be smart to eat more proein rich, denser foods to maitain your fullness for longer periods. An adult male of average to large size probably requires more like 1500 calories a day with moderate activity (just guessing here, I know woman at a year out post bypass should shoot for 1000 - 1200/day) so if you have higher healthy calories (lean protein and complex carbs) you may have a fuller feeling for longer.

Nic:D

I am focusing more on healthy options and have increased to eating 6 times a day which has helped some, I drink plenty of fluids but this doesnt curb the hunger.

I am focusing more on healthy options and have increased to eating 6 times a day which has helped some, I drink plenty of fluids but this doesnt curb the hunger.

Are you eating to restriction each meal, and what i mean by restriction is that slightly tight feeling you have in your chest ! - you may want to try eating harder more solid foods and dont chew as much, i know we are told to chew chew chew, but i've found if i chew less and swallow food in a more solid state not only do i reach restriction quicker, but i stay fuller for longer.

The 4 rules i live by are:

1, Eat a high protein low carohydrate balanced diet !

2, Understand restriction and eat each meal to full restriction !

3, Dont drink with or for at least an hour post meal

4, Treat myself every now and again to something nice or naughty !

I know you've started doing exercise, and as PG has said you need to increase your calorific intake, to maintain a higher metabolism you need to keep feeding your body when your doing increased levels of exercise, and that doesn't mean crap foods that either slide through the restriction or just add quick fix calories !

Your doing really well Paul and so far you've dropped the weight because of restrictive eating, the closer you get to your goal weight the harder its going to become, your body will get used to the restrictive calorie intake and adapt, and its at this point that you need to rely on the good practices you've learnt, how to use your pouch to its full potential, and a diet based on your level of exercise, once you understand this you'll have a better chance of long term maintenance of your loss.

Just my opinion though ! ;)

Back