• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What to pack for hospital

teapot1966

Hi all,

I'm sure someone already posted something similar - but I cant find the thread so:

At long last I have my date (and I'm going to apologise now for being excited when there are some of you who have been waiting longer than myself).

I'm starting to get things ready for hospital - yes I know its a little early, but I like to be prepared.

What kinds of things did you take in with you?

I'm in for 5 days (I think it is) open bypass at St Richards.

Did you take smaller clothes in with you to come out in - do you lose a dress size whilst you are in there and therefore clothes are starting to fall off you anyhow?

For those staying at St.R's or who have been to St. R's is there a facility to purchase a pod to plug a laptop into, or charge things like an MP3 or anything like that - I know I'm going to be quite drowsey for a little while but I do tend to get quite bored just sitting around on my butt basically.

I know that I'm going to go in laden with bags basically because I can never 'pack light' (a nightmare when I go on holiday)

How about squash to drink (sugar free fruit and barley)?

Money? do they have a WRVS / Friends that come around with newspapers to buy and read ?

5 days is just a very long time for someone who can't just sit still and do nowt.

Socks to keep tootsies warm? (I tend to feel the cold easily) etc etc

What are your suggestions?

Thanks (in anticipation) for all those who reply.

Julie x

The thread you want is here http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/49040-what-did-you-really-take-into-hospital.html Lots of really good ideas.

I am still pre-op but one thing that people seem to agree on is that you are likely to be a bit swollen after surgery so loose clothes are a must.

Obviously different hospitals are different but you should be able to charge your phone etc by plugging it into the socket by your bed (when OH was in Kings recently there was a row of sockets on the wall by each bed - but the mobile reception on his ward was pretty much non existent!) Don't forget your chargers though!!!

I don't know whether it would be worth taking in my laptop though. On the plus side I am like you and I and I get bored easily so I could surf (have mobile broadband) and watch DVDs . But, on the minus side, it is an expensive thing and there is a limited amount of space to store it. (Also, lots of hospitals (ie all of them by law) do not allow you to use electrical equipment that has not be checked as safe - you might be able to get away with charging a phone or an iPod but a laptop might not be allowed)

A lot of people on that thread though say that they didn't use as much stuff as they brought in or even read the books they brought in after having an op.

OH was in 2 hospitals having ops recently and, although both nominally say "no mobiles" they both turned a blind eye (except that the 1st hospital was concerned about people using them on the ward in case other patients were disturbed or photographed)

hth - good luck with your Op

TillyBob

The thread you want is here http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/49040-what-did-you-really-take-into-hospital.html Lots of really good ideas.

I am still pre-op but one thing that people seem to agree on is that you are likely to be a bit swollen after surgery so loose clothes are a must.

Obviously different hospitals are different but you should be able to charge your phone etc by plugging it into the socket by your bed (when OH was in Kings recently there was a row of sockets on the wall by each bed - but the mobile reception on his ward was pretty much non existent!) Don't forget your chargers though!!!

I don't know whether it would be worth taking in my laptop though. On the plus side I am like you and I can surf (have mobile broadband) and watch DVDs and I get bored. But, on the minus side, it is an expensive thing and there is a limited amount of space to store it. (Also, lots of hospitals (ie all of them by law) do not allow you to use electrical equipment that has not be checked as safe - you might be able to get away with charging a phone or an iPod but a laptop might not be allowed)

OH was in 2 hospitals having ops recently and, although both nominally say "no mobiles" they both turned a blind eye (except that the 1st hospital was concerned about people using them on the ward in case other patients were disturbed or photographed)

hth

TillyBob

HI TillyBob,

(gosh I must find out how to 'thank someone' for their reply on here)

thank you for your reply, I will have a look at that link. I must admit, I had forgotten about my laptop playing dvd's didnt think of that one. (lol) My laptop charges my mp3 (is one of the sony walkman thingy's which charges via usb)

I guessed about the phones, must of the hospitals now agree that mobiles and interference don't exist too much (if you are just on a normal ward) maybe I'll just have to ask when I get there.

Hopefully, some people who have been to St. R's will know what I'm allowed to take.

Thanks for the info re swelling - so if I just wear home the clothes I go in with (but get my parents to wash them inbetween of course : D ) then that would be the best thing. They'll just be pull on jeans (no zippy bits) and a jumper or 6 (depends on how cold I am !) lol

Thanks once again - you've been very helpful.

Julie x

hi for coming home i would say baggy tracksuit bottoms and t shirt as i was still full off air and very swollen, i had key hole so not to sure about open x x x

I worn my PJs home just popped a cardi on over them And ear plugs are a must if you are on a ward I also took my phone and my mp3 player and my personal digital radio so I could put headphones on

at my pre op assesment they said not to take to much as there is limited space . you can charge a phone though. there is a tv at £3.50 a day. you really gonna be in for 5 days?

You will need clothes that are larger rather than smaller! With open bypass you will be pretty swollen. Don't worry the weight begins to fall off quite quickly.
You will need whoever is picking you up from hospital to bring a pillow to put across your belly for travelling in the car to protect you from the seatbelt.
The thread is a good one so have a look, but there really isn't much room to store stuff so the minimal is best - maybe put stuff out ready at home and suggest someone brings anything extra for you from the pile.
Only take a small amount of money.
Sugar free juice is a must.
The first couple of days you probably won't be able to concentrate on anything as wards are busy and can be noisy.
Think that's all. Check out the link. All the best. x x

hi
I was told 5 days for open at st rich but went in thursday and was out sunday. I think they say 5 to cover themselves.
You wont feel like doing much while in there i took:
2 pairs pj's
dressing gown
Knickers
Slippers
mags
mp3 player and charger
phone on silent is fine

actually used:
1 pair pj's you are in gown for 2 days
Didnt use knickers till came home as was in pjs
There are limited plugs behind each bed but not a lot if space so laptop would be in way.
Didnt see any trolley shop.
only used dressing gown to go to theatre as bathroom at end of bay.
As for bigger clothes i had open and apart from not being able to get bra on clothes fitted fine as open you dont get filled with air.
You can leave your clothes in locker beside bed and wear when you go home you dont need to wash inbetween if clean when you go in as you changed as soon as you get there.
Really nice in st r you will love it
good luck

I worn my PJs home just popped a cardi on over them And ear plugs are a must if you are on a ward I also took my phone and my mp3 player and my personal digital radio so I could put headphones on

Thanks .. not sure about the PJ's bit, but I will bear that in mind - lol (I've got quite a long journey) lol

J x

I'm going to do a big thank you to everyone who has replied because ... i can't thank you all personally yet (i havent posted enough on here ... thank you to my friend who has just told me that on facebook - you know who you are ! lol ....)

As for timing, well, I'll know when they change the bed around me won't I ? lol

thank you so much for all your suggestions - I get the hint - NO LAP TOP (goodness i'm going to be bored, i'm a bad bad patient) lol

Will just have to go party with the surgeons instead - lol

Julie x

i didnt get bored at all but i was pretty poorly. I was in with a lovely bunch of people and they was one private patient who was brill and we all went to her room for a party every night once we were well enough. time went so quick but was glad to get home.
Nighty will do if you dont like pjs

Good luck

hi
I was told 5 days for open at st rich but went in thursday and was out sunday. I think they say 5 to cover themselves.
You wont feel like doing much while in there i took:
2 pairs pj's
dressing gown
Knickers
Slippers
mags
mp3 player and charger
phone on silent is fine

actually used:
1 pair pj's you are in gown for 2 days
Didnt use knickers till came home as was in pjs
There are limited plugs behind each bed but not a lot if space so laptop would be in way.
Didnt see any trolley shop.
only used dressing gown to go to theatre as bathroom at end of bay.
As for bigger clothes i had open and apart from not being able to get bra on clothes fitted fine as open you dont get filled with air.
You can leave your clothes in locker beside bed and wear when you go home you dont need to wash inbetween if clean when you go in as you changed as soon as you get there.
Really nice in st r you will love it
good luck

A locker by the bed lol you were a lucky one All my stuff stayed on the floor next to my bed lol

Thank you for whomever mentioned the pillow, I wouldnt have thought of that.

A locker sounds like a luxury too - I'm a bit bemused about the washing though.

Can you have showers or wash your hair? Please don't tell me its a bucket and jug job for hair washing - 2 days without washing my hair makes Julie feel grotty and crabby ...

I know after the cesears I had (3 times over) with my children (not elected ones either) that I was actually up and walking very quickly with 2 ... only mistake I made was taking grapefruit shower gel in ...
flip me that stung over the wound area ... ouch ouch ouch, never make that damm mistake again!

Oh, and thank you too for all the replies I've had. I really do appreciate your help.

I also read another link about tablets - I need to take some on a daily basis, about crushing them down if you cant get a liquid form of them .. my goodness this site is wonderful sometimes. Very helpful.

Back