• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What to say to people?

eglantine

Hi all.
I know there is a thread concerning that somewhere but cannot find it.
Only my husband and best friend know about my lapband.
What did you tell other people, especially in the 1st weeks when it is quite obvious that you are not 100% well?
Many thanks.
Gerry xxx

Hi all.
I know there is a thread concerning that somewhere but cannot find it.
Only my husband and best friend know about my lapband.
What did you tell other people, especially in the 1st weeks when it is quite obvious that you are not 100% well?
Many thanks.
Gerry xxx
Hey Gerry, personally i told everyone lol some do some dont. If you want to keep it to yourself you can say you are having an heria op? and of course start a diet now so they wont be suspicious when you start losing, good luck :) xxx

Last edited:
I told everyone who stood still long enough for me to get the words gastric bypass out.

Sometimes I wish I hadn't. But in reality, I have have mainly support and that's helped loads.

But yes, hernia or gallbladder op suits as an explanation :)

For me I have suffered with kidney stone alot this year ... And I have told everyone apart from my hubby and oldest daughter that I was having key hole surgery on my kidney stones and that my surgery is on the 8 th December and that's my excuses my stones lol and I have told everyone I have to have fluids before op and after op ..
Because I just felt the op was for me and not up for public discussion as it didn't effect anyone only me ;) and just didn't want nor need any negativity from people ...
Well that's what I'm doing xxx
Good luck what ever ya say xx

I only told close family beforehand. I have now also told two close friends, and that's it. Otherwise I explain the weightloss by saying I'm on a diet. And ppl who knew I have been in hospital I said I had a suspected ulcer (which has been suspected so it's not a total fib) and that explains my funny diet and why I can't go out for meals at the mo. I don't like telling lies, but I don't want ppl to know as I don't want their opinions or to be asked how it's going all the time. But that's just me!!

Strangely enough not one person has suspected I have had weight loss surgery so I never been asked - ppl I have known and not seen for a while seen just say I look well since I lost weight but never asked me how I lost it. I dont tell ppl I have had wls either, only my immediate family know and do not plan on telling anyone else.

I haven't told anyone apart from my son and my aunt (she only knows cos she took me to hospital) but I took time out of work and have lost considerable weight in the short time since . . .however, I haven't told anyone. Work knew I had time off for surgery, they dont know what for. I don't feel the need to tell anyone.

I told no one apart from some family members and my very best friend.
The amount of times I've been questioned,how I've managed to loose all my weight I sometimes wished I'd just told them I've had a Bypass!!
But at the time WLS was in the news and on radio and on the tv,and people was ripping into overweight people.
So It made me keep quiet about my op x

Thank you all for your replies. I think I will go with gallbladder op! :)
Gerry xxx
yeah thats ok, but you might genuinely need to have it out in the future, its quite common to have gall bladder probs later on, good luck :) xxx

I have told anyone who has asked...but made it very clear that you have to diet / portion control with the band because it does not do the work for you. I have not had a single negative comment, just interest. I do think if I had had it done on the nhs, that people may have been more judgemental about me using THEIR money, but I again have made it clear that it has cost me a lot of money, I have had to work hard to save/pay for it and that's why I want it to work for me ... :)

I have told two of my friends and had such weird reactions, that I won't tell anyone else. Before you tell anyone, think twice; once you do tell, you can't take it back.

Don't tell anyone that you feel a bit iffy about. Only my family know, and I'd like to keep it that way. I worry about the comments behind my back and also the sabotage... You'll always get others trying to tempt you, they aren't your real friends! X

Many thanks. I don't really want to tell people as they are so quick to judge you. People tend to think that we have wls because we are lazy or we don't have any willpower. This couldn't be any further from the truth...
Many thanks again for your messages.
Gerry xxx

Back