• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What was really in your hospital bag?

what do u need in hospital ???

hello i would love to no what u needed in hospital .. that u did not think to bring as i just cant think other than my over things and i no i will get there and need lots of other things .... help please my ops in only 8 days :eek:

Hello there,

I was having a think and this is what I came up with, Night clothes, Clean underwear, hairbrush and toiletries, Maybe a book or a magazine to read perhaps, some wet wipes to freshen you up, a mobile fone (if ur allowed to), Some slippers, some change for when newspaper man comes round (thats if he does , as he does at our local hospital, comes to the bed and you can buy the daily newspapers etc ) ,deodorant, nothing else seems to be jumping out at me , HTH am sure someone else will come along with some more idea's .

Good luck and all the best - MeJulie xx

Hi I had my bypass surgery at the Spire inManchester and was only in for one day so didn't need too much. I took my Ipod touch, PJ's (1 pair), dressing gown, book, and then just general toiletries. You won't need much more than that.

Good luck with your surgery.

Hi,

I was Spire Manchester too, I took loads of things I didnt need. I was first in theatre and then spent the rest of the day groggy from the drugs. I didnt even use my new dressing gown. Definately dont forget toothpaste and toothbrush my mouth tasted horrible after surgery.

Xx

I took sloggi pants they are brilliant!
Nighties are better than pjs.
I took books etc but I was too tired to read them xx

I took my Ipod touch to watch a movie the night before the op.
I took my own bottled water and sugar free vimpto.
Lip balm and mouth spray.
Toiletories and flannel.
Baby wipes.
3 magazines
2 nighties
2 pj's
slippers & dressing gown
small plug in fan as its so hot in there.
Mobile phone and charger.

dressing gown, slippers, comfy nighties, lip balm, wash bag, ribena light (hospital had no other clear liquids for post-op than oxo! ugh), magazines (couldn't concentrate on books), mobile phone (lifesaver) and charger!
that was about it.

oh no, I also took a spray breath freshener and mouthwash - lovely!

Would it be a silly idea to take my lap top into hospital, the Luton and Dunstable? I can play my dvds on it and email etc.
I have my bag packed. Contains some things I read about on here.
3 nighties and a gown
knickers
toiletries.
evian spray facial water
lipbalm
sipping cup
slippers.
book/magazine.
That's all really.

I don't think you'll be able to concentrate enough for your laptop for the first 3 days or so. Why not get a friend to bring it up for you when they visit?

take something to put in the water for the 2nd or 3rd day or whenever you can. No added sugar orange squash or something.

Lots of luck!!:flirt2:

I had my op last Friday and the only things I used were:

2 pair of pajamas
A book
Mouth Spray
Toiletries
Reading glasses
Slippers

That was honestly it.

i took loads in with me and never used much i used my nintendo DS the day before op then after op I slept a lot so never used anything i used 1 pair pjs knickers slippers and the usual wash bag. one thing i did find a god send was my hand held fan with a water spray attatched to it as i was so hot and dry and also a mouth spray as my mouth was very very dry and i took sugar free ribena in as plain water gets boring.

I've never been one to travel light, for a three day stay I took the following:

2 Pairs of tracksuit bottoms,
3 Tee shirts,
Underwear,
Slippers,
Dressing Gown,
Laptop & external hard drive loaded with DVD's,
Mobile phone,
3 Books,
Toothpaste & toothbrush,
Mouthwash,
Fresh breath spray,
CPAP,
Pillow,
Extension lead,
3G dongle.

In the end I read a chapter of one book (and couldn't remember it due to the drug induced haze!) and spent most of the time watching TV on the internet (thank goodness for WiFi).

The mouthwash was an absolute godsend for getting rid of the horrible taste following the op :).

My hospital bag.

CPAP machine.
3 nighties
Dressing gown
new slippers
tena lady pads
knickers
toiletries.
dry mouth spray
sipping cup
lip balm
evian water spray
wet wipes
2 towels
2 books
mobile phone.
I might send out for my lap top so I can watch DVD's
I have already bought my £10 patientline card for TV use!
Wearing the same loose fitting dress to leave that I will arrive in.

Toying with the idea of having my hair corn rowed so I don't get a big knot in the back of my head.

I had been told I would only be in for one night, if everything went to plan so I packed lightly. The things I actually used were:

• 2 nighties (had period and ended having to change)

• Vaseline lip balm-brilliant and used this a lot

• Pack of 5 pairs of pants, used em all, because of the period

• Baby wipes, great to just wipe over your face to cool down

• Dry mouth spray, tho only used this once, and then started sipping water

• Hand cream-took a really posh one, just to feel nice, and it was lovely

• Dressing gown, worn for 5 mins to walk to anaesthetic room

• Slippers, ditto
  • Mobile phone
  • Track suit bottoms to travel home
  • Toiletries, toothpaste and brush, shower gel,

Last edited:
I was only in hospital for two days, I packed quite lightly anyway but here's a brief list of what I actually used. The hospital supplied soap and towels which I made use of as well as the hospital gown
big baggy T-shirt
track suit bottoms
several large pairs of knickers beware your tummy will swell up mine has.
dressing gown, slippers
dry mouth spray, tooth brush and paste
wet wipes to freshen up
lip balm
body butter moisturiser
puzzle book
phone and it's charger.
That's it

Just had my op last week so here is mine:
3x nightshirts
3x pants
dressing gown
slippers
flipflops (used in shower)
toiletries inc baby wipes and dry mouth spray (GODSEND!)
book
IPod (didn't use)
ear plugs (used every night)
fluffy socks - I never wear socks but these were fab cos my feet were SO cold post op
2 towels and 4 flannels
something comfy to come home in

I wore gowns alot as my drain site leaked and I didn't want it on my stuff :D
x

I read somewhere that flavoured lip-gloss is a MUST HAVE for hospital as you won't be eating anything, at least your lips taste good. (be careful about sugar though).

I hardly used anything, toiletries, two nighties, dressing gown, slippers, three pairs of knickers and my microball pillow. Took a couple of bottles of squash in and obviously my phone. Wore leggings and long top in, so came out in the same. Xc

Back