• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What was really in your hospital bag?

All the PJs and nighties I brought in never got taken out of the case, because of bleeding and stuff I just was in a hospital gown with my own dressing gown over it. No one on the ward was wearing their nighties, everyone wore the hospital issue jobs.
Stuff I absolutely couldn't have done without:
slippers
ipod
my phone
book
tea tree wipes
shower gel
shampoo & conditioner
body lotion
powder
toothbrush& t- paste
cash for tv rental
glasses for watching tv
and my ultimate comfort item, the pillow I brought from home in a pretty and SOFT pillowcase.
I was in for 4 days and had visits from my DH and daughter which defo helped pass the time.
I also brought in all my regular meds so the docs could prescribe them in liquid form.
I brought in a ton of clothes which I should have just left at home.
It's over! I'm gonna be slim! :D

I took with me 3 pairs of pjs, 3 pairs of underwear, 2 pairs of trousers and 3 t shirst. Only needed one pair of PJs but because I had a slight accident with the iv drip Im kinda glad of the spare pair of pjs. Had one of their gowns to put on any ways which I wore for the wednesday, thursday and friday whilst I weas in there!! I went into hospital on the tuesday night and I went home on the friday afternoon!!!You really dont need to take alot in with you, only thing I did wanna take is some sugar free squash! Just gives some flavour instead of drinking just water!

Being in hospital for the best part of a month I needed everything except the kitchen sink, poor old hubbie had to wash so many nighties that I got blood on but he coped..lol

The two things that I found invaluable were the dry mouth spray and the ear plugs so thanks to the ladies that suggested them because I wouldn't have thought to pack them.

Talking of things you can take with you, im been admitted on the day of my op and i really want my hubby to be there, im having mine done in an nhs hospital, are they ok about them staying for the day whilst its finished as my hospitals 1 hour away

Great ideas on these lists thanks guys

These lists are mighty, seeing as i have to carry my own bag will keep my short and light but really enjoyed reading them.Mia

Lots of nighties and comfy bottoms (joggers or something)!
A suduko book
Smellies
1 pair of trousers/top for leaving (knickers etc ofc!)
Slippers
Camera for that pre op photo shot!
That was about it I think

Clare xx

Apart from what I was wearing

Four pairs of shreddies
One toweling robe
2 Polo shirts
Smellies
slippers
Medication
mp3 player

The bit about lifting your nightie (well, in my case the hospital one, as I never wore my own) - I was always wearing pants as well, which they just pulled down - and not that far down as none of the wounds were that low.

But one thing (haven't read the whole thread, so apologise if it's been mentioned already) that I planned to take but couldn't fit in and missed like hell was my long-handled grabber - the sort old people and litter pickers use! Oh, how many times did I wish I had that, as I tried to get something but had to leave it where it was or call a nurse for help!!!

SO TAKE ONE, WHATEVER ELSE YOU LEAVE BEHIND!! Most of them fold up, so aren't too awkward to pack.

Well i originally posted this last yr when i was going to have my bypass privately paid for by my family but in the end i changed my mind as i was not ready emotionally or physically my health was really not 2 good at all, and now am on my way through the nhs so i thought i would re post this.

2 loose nighties + 2 loose pj`s
8 pairs of bikini knickers(usually wear granny ones but dont want them to be near the wounds)
Dressing gown
slippers
lip balm
good moisurizer
Magi cool (its a fab spray in a bottle to cool you down when really hot or sun burnt)
sports bottle
Massage vibrating cushion(dont need battereies for my vibrating toy lol)
Toiletries
laptop so can keep in touch in case they dont have a tv with internet access
mobile
wet wipes
anti bacterial spray/wipes for mrsa to spray in the bathroom when i arrive
books
Mini plug in fan
Disposable toilet seat covers, i am really bad bout sitting on toilets in a communal settings, and usually try and crouch over but being the size i am with bad knees is not easy and have had some accidents, so now i order of the internet" Disposable toilet seat covers" that are really cheap and can be flushed down the loo after and that way u have no worries bout sitting on the toilet seat especially after having major surgery and being susceptible to all kinds of infection, i first saw these on planes years ago and thought wat a fab idea.

and not forgetting the kitchen sink lol

Seeing as i'm just out of hospital thought i would just add the things i actually used from the list i took in,
Magazines
two nighties ( didnt use the jammies i had)
slippers , housecoat
shower gel,shampoo,tootbrush,toothpaste
big bath towel
moisturiser,deodrant, lip balm
Dry mouth spray( a godsend for 1st 24 hrs)
Really light ribena ( i don't like water)
A pillow for journey home
loose joggers and t shirt for home
bra ( no prob wearing a non wired one)
Hope this helps xx

I took:

- 2 pairs PJs (new ones from evans online - very comfortable)
- 3 pairs knickers
- loose jogging bottoms and loose top for discharge
- slippers
- toiletries --> shampoo, conditioners, body wash, face wash, toothpaste and tooth brush, baby wipes, deodorant
- ipod- very calming and helped me to sleep
- reading book (not that I had the concentration to read it)
- sugar free squash (needed this for after as i cant cope with just water)
- hospital admission letter
- medication I have been on before surgery

I think thats about it, if there is anything else I can think of then ill add it later.....

I took everything but the kitchen sink.....................
What i used
Toothpaste
toothbrush
mouth wash
mint mouth spray
soap
shampoo
tissue's
wet wipes
PJ'S asda's very cheap & comfortable £5
slippers
dressing grown
book (didn't even open it)
jogger's & tee-shirt for traveling home
Also took my own towel's.:)

Just a quick question about breath spray - which seems to get a big thumbs up from all of you.

Did you use any particular brand or did you just buy the basic Boots own brand "Smile" one (or equivalent)?

love

TillyBob

i took
2 lots pj's
dressing gown
slippers
toiletries
towel
book
2 mags, 2 puzzle books,
mobile
mp3
clothes for home

what i used
1 pair pjs,
dressing gown, slippers
book
mobile

:rolleyes:

What time did you guys last eat before you went into hospital?
x

What time did you guys last eat before you went into hospital?
x

My original op time was 2.45pm so was told not to eat from 8am onwards, I had brekkie at 7.30am so didnt eat or drink after that, lucky as my op time was moved to 2pm lol. your op letter will tell you when you get it what time to be nil by mouth from

I was told nil by mouth from 12 midnight - went don't for op about 11 am.............

Why not get a maternity nightie or one that has buttons down the front. That way it will be loose and you won't need to lift it, but can unbutton it instead!

Back