• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

When are you ready emotionally?

NEDebz

Hi

I've read loads of comments on this forum about being mentally ready for the operation and this worries me a bit. I've been known not to react well to emotional circumstances and don't want to fit all the other criteria and then not pass the psych evaluation.

I know I still have a long way to go, I have my first appointment on Wednesday and I've been reliably informed it'll be approx a year from then to operation date but assume the psych evaluation happens much earlier than that.

Personally I was first referred for this operation 5 years ago but chickened out prior to seeing Mr Small. So I've been thinking about this a long time and guess I've been subconsciously getting my personal life sorted out and ensuring that I had stability behind me before being asked to be referred again.

So at this stage I don't feel emotional about it or the prospect of it at all. In my mind I just think that I've made a decision and now it's just a case of going through the necessary procedures to be accepted for surgery. With having my first appointment on Wednesday & an appointment on Tuesday for sleep studies then I feel I'm on my way there.

Or do you think I'm being optimistic?

Thanks xxx

Debz wednesday is the 1st postive step to get you on your way, it gets the ball rolling with the process, im gutted im not doing the seminar that your attending but i will catch up with you at our support group ok x you have a positive attitude towards surgery and you wil be ok xxxx

Good luck with your appt. I think if you have been preparing yourself all this time then you would have nothing to worry about with the psych appt. I haven't had this appt yet but I think it is to make sure you can cope with the effects the surgery will have on you.

Thanks for the replies, feeling quietly calm and confident about the appointment today :)

Hope you enjoyed the seminar Debbie, I found it informative and reaffirmed my decision to keep on the path to surgery. Have you had your sleep test yet? I had mine at the Freeman Hospital, where is yours scheduled for?

Hi Debz, I have just had my bypass on the 7th with Mr Small (although I went private) and he was wonderful. He talks you through everything and answers all your questions, nothing is too much trouble to him. I had my op on the thursday and home on the Sat. I have had no pain after the first 2 days, eating and drinking well and feel great. I came home with the reassurance from both him and Maureen the dietitian that if I have any questions just to contact them. If there is anything you want to know just ask. Good luck on your journey xxxx

Back