• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

"Why go abroad" are these any good?

just keep in mind that each band fill will cost £125 with these people and you will need adjustments for the entire life of the band...

I have had 7 so far and that's in 2 years and just due for another next month.

Well I've just had a very nice chat with a lady from Weight Loss Surgery and i can get a
band in Belguim (same surgeon as Vanessa Phelts and have all my after care here for 2 yrs - for £4800

I have started looking at the private route now and found the WLSG as well, offering just under £5,000 in Belgium with 3 years aftercare, unlimited band refills for 2 years and then 3rd year I think it was maximum of 3, however I thought once you met your ideal weight you only needed the final band adjustment to keep at that weight, or have I read that wrong somewhere, I need to loose six stone and I'd like to think I could do that within 3 years.

Wendy, I was at my ideal fill level and then required a defill as the band absorbed fluid from my body!

I think you have to be prepared to have an adjustment as and when after you lose the excess and get to maintenance.

My two years are up now but I have not been back for an appointment since the defill, so I don't know how much a check up or fill is going to be next time !

Wendy, I was at my ideal fill level and then required a defill as the band absorbed fluid from my body!

I think you have to be prepared to have an adjustment as and when after you lose the excess and get to maintenance.

My two years are up now but I have not been back for an appointment since the defill, so I don't know how much a check up or fill is going to be next time !

neen - for the actual op - how much pain are we talking?

I have started looking at the private route now and found the WLSG as well, offering just under £5,000 in Belgium with 3 years aftercare, unlimited band refills for 2 years and then 3rd year I think it was maximum of 3, however I thought once you met your ideal weight you only needed the final band adjustment to keep at that weight, or have I read that wrong somewhere, I need to loose six stone and I'd like to think I could do that within 3 years.

This is the one i spoke to :) just trying to find how much flights to belgium are - bloody puter keeps crashing

I was 25 stone ish for my op and very unfit, I had quite a bit of pain being a bigger patient and stayed in hopsital an extra day because I felt really rough.
You need to make sure you are covered in case you feel bad after and we are all different in how we react to pain and the GA.
You need someone to go with you and arrange to stay overnight at least before coming home if you are going abroad IMO.
I would feel really irresponsible if I said it was going to be fine because it is far better to be prepared and not need it than the other way around.

I was 25 stone ish for my op and very unfit, I had quite a bit of pain being a bigger patient and stayed in hopsital an extra day because I felt really rough.
You need to make sure you are covered in case you feel bad after and we are all different in how we react to pain and the GA.
You need someone to go with you and arrange to stay overnight at least before coming home if you are going abroad IMO.
I would feel really irresponsible if I said it was going to be fine because it is far better to be prepared and not need it than the other way around.

Well im 16 st and fit ish...maybe its not go=ing to hurt that much?

Tif,

I had my surgery done at 15.5st and it wasn't too bad at all. The main discomfort came from the swelling when trying to drink adequate fluids but as the days went by this eased. Didn't have any wound probs.

Tif,

I had my surgery done at 15.5st and it wasn't too bad at all. The main discomfort came from the swelling when trying to drink adequate fluids but as the days went by this eased. Didn't have any wound probs.

thats good to know!

Tif, it's surgery and it will hurt....there is no getting round that one.

But everybody has different pain thresholds, so it's really hard to advise.

Never judge from someone else's experience as this will not be yours. But I would also advise that you take someone with you, for not just physical support but moral support too.

Travelling after an op is always a little daunting, so be nice to have someone with you.

Shopgirl, you will need fills to maintain good restriction, as the band can aspirate and loose fluid or as Neen said gain fluid which can make it too tight.

If you wanted to go abroad you could try cosmetic bliss, i would highly recommend them :) The price is under £5000 and includes flights, hotel stay, 4 nights stay in the hospital and all the pre-op tests. It includes 3 fills, im not a bander so i dont know whether thats good or not. xxxxx

The price is good but 3 fills will not get you to good restriction so you need to factor in the money for extra fills....

If you wanted to go abroad you could try cosmetic bliss, i would highly recommend them :) The price is under £5000 and includes flights, hotel stay, 4 nights stay in the hospital and all the pre-op tests. It includes 3 fills, im not a bander so i dont know whether thats good or not. xxxxx

the reason i was interested in these ones is because although you have the op in Belgium all the after care and fills are done in the UK - i thought that would be much better

Hi,

You need to add everything up including extra nights in a Belgium Hotel as you may not be fit to fly. If you conisder how comfy/uncomfy you are on an plane flight as it is now never mind when your bloated and swollen from major bariatric sugery.

3 fills isn't great, I'm due my 4th on saturday.

Don't just go with a provider just because Vanessa Feltz (allegedly) used one (I'm as a loss as to why these rich celebs choose to go to Belgium ... anonymity may be?).

Also I think it's ALWAYS worth waiting until January when WLS companies have their 'specials' on ... you always get a discounts around then in line with New Year Resolutions, gym membership specials and Weight Watchers/Rosemary Conley specials around that time of year.

Back