• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why your goal weight?

witchingmoon

I wanted to know why people have opted for their goal weight.
Is it because its the BMI weight for your height? Or something else?

I set mine at what would be my ideal BMI, I think as I am quite tall any lower than that and my BMI would be too low. I am not sure how others have determined theirs.
Xx

My weight for my height according to BMI stuff and WW is between 10.1 and 8.1 so I've just gone for the middle and chosen 9st. But to be honest I'm 10.9 now and a size 12 and I think if I get to 9 I'll be too skinny so will see how I feel when I'm 10st.

Kate x

I chose 11st because it's a healthy BMI for me, and I've been overweight since I was a child, so I think I'll look stupid if I lose too much!

I chose 11st as I am 5'8" and it would give me a healthy BMI. I now have 10lb to go and I think it will be my perfect weight.

I choose 12 stone and if I don't get there then that fine as long as am happy that all that matters!!
I rember being 12 stone and being happy after my first son but it total up to u if I got to 14 stone and was happy then that where I would stick.
Best luck Lisa x

Hi Witchingmoon,

Although I have not added it to my profile my goal is 12 stone which would give me a BMI above 25 (I think it would be about 27 or something).

12 stone is a weight I last weighed when I was 17 years old so I did not think that mentally I would ever be able to weigh less than I did as a teenager (!!).

I chose my goal of 12 stone because I liked the number, and did not want to set a goal that was "too impossible" to start with. (To me having been above 20 stone for many years I could not contemplate aiming for 10 stone something or 11 stone something.)

However I have been surprised and amazed at how easily the weight has been dropping (with my gastric sleeve, not bypass) as I was warned not to expect such rapid weight loss with the sleeve.

I am now so pleasantly surprised that I am about 98% sure that the sleeve is likely to take me below my original goal of 12 stone and may actually get me to a normal BMI weight (which would be 11 stone).

==============================

I notice on your profile, Witchingmoon, that you have set your goal weight as a fairly high weight that would give you a BMI of 35 ........ I do realise that you were starting from a very high starting point and you probably did not think reaching a BMI of 28 or 24 might be possible for you ....... perhaps you are now taking stock of the fact that your losses so far have been so good it does look likely that you will be able to get well below BMI of 35 and much closer to the "normal" BMI range.

If that is the case and the reason for your post, I say GO FOR IT !!!!

I notice on your profile, Witchingmoon, that you have set your goal weight as a fairly high weight that would give you a BMI of 35 ........ I do realise that you were starting from a very high starting point and you probably did not think reaching a BMI of 28 or 24 might be possible for you ....... perhaps you are now taking stock of the fact that your losses so far have been so good it does look likely that you will be able to get well below BMI of 35 and much closer to the "normal" BMI range.

If that is the case and the reason for your post, I say GO FOR IT !!!!

Yes Hun I set the first goal of 18st and then felt it was to high so 15st was possable. I am now thinking I could lose more and get my BMI under 30 so a new goal will be set x

Yes Hun I set the first goal of 18st and then felt it was to high so 15st was possable. I am now thinking I could lose more and get my BMI under 30 so a new goal will be set x

I see you have done so in the past few minutes and now have a goal of 13 stone and BMI of 29 !!! :) Well done! :)

:D :D :D :D

I see you have done so in the past few minutes and now have a goal of 13 stone and BMI of 29 !!! :) Well done! :)

:D :D :D :D

Thanks hun before the op I never thought I would get to this weight so 13st felt like a big NO.
Not now and I am going to push till I get there :D x

Pre op I set myself a target of 9st 7lbs as all the guides have my ideal weight range & healthy bmi for my height is between 8.5 & 10.5stone. I'm currently 11st 5lbs or there-about a size 10 down from 19st 3lbs & size 20+ I think excess skin is making it tough to lose now plus past that golden year as well. I dealt I'd like to get to a healthy weight & bmi which is around 10st 7lbs & will get me to my ww gold target & free sessions so I'd like to try to at least hit healthy bmi & weight although the hospital stated at my 1yr post op mot that they wouldn't be worried if I didn't lose anymore as I'd lost 93%+ of my excess weight. As I use ww as my support group & to keep me on the straight & narrow I'd like to hit my goal for free sessions, £6+ a week is something I could do with saving rather than spending each week. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Having always been overweight I have always avoided being weighed.

But at various times in my life I had no choice but to be weighed. Those times have stuck in my mind.

My current set goal weight is 23st which is the weight I was when I had the medical for my life insurance back in the Mid 90s when I bought my current home.

Once I get there I will reset it to 17St which is what I was in the late 80s when I was told by my Dr to loose 6st!

After that I really don't know as I can't imagine me being any lighter....

I started with a huge bmi and was told by my surgeon I wouldn't get below 16 stone from the surgery. I knew I could get below that but the thought of trying to lose more than 200lb is overwhelming so my goal is set for that. I would still have a bmi of 31.2 because I'm so short but I think that it is a realistic goal if I really work for it.

I set my goal weight at 160lbs (11st 6) and although that isn't an ideal weight for my height it seems doable... I started back in january before surgery with a weight of 297 lbs so at that time anything below 11st 6 seemed impossible!! But to be a healthy bmi I would have to actually get down to a weight of between 101 and 136lbs which would give me a bmi of between 18.5 - 24.9. which although is what the experts say is the healthy bmi range for my height. I think if I lost that much weight at my age, I would look terribly haggard and even older than I do now!!! So I will see if and when I get to my goal of 160lbs, if I feel that I want to try for the healthy bmi and get down to 136lbs. but for me it is much more about how I look and feel, than a bmi number I think....

Hi
My healthy BMI sits between 55kg(8st 9) and 68kg (10st 9), the lowest weight that I can remember how i felt was at 68 kg (some 15 years ago!) and I felt quite chucky at that weight(!) so i thought why not aim for feeling slim so i therefore set my dream goal to 60-62 kg, about 9st 7.

Back