• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

worried due to have gastric bypass

Hi natasha

Welcome to Minis and good luck for your op (not that you need it). You do the liver shrinking diet so that its easier for your surgeon to get to your stomach to carry out the operation as this has to be lifted out of the way.

Easier said that done but try not to worry and any questions just shout there is always someone here to answer anything. You will be fine and as for the xmas dinner - you can have it but you will only want tiny bits (but you'll be happy with that). Best thing I ever did xxx

Thanks nic i go for my pre assessment tomorrow so i should be told then i gess what sort of diets are there for the liver shrinking ?

No problem, yes they will no doubt give you the diet for you to follow, there are a few different kinds and I think there is a Sticky within this section that Shell started which has details of most of them. I had a clear liquid diet for 2 weeks which involved, clear soups, Oxo, sugar free jelly and sugar free cordial! It worked though and I lost 22lb in 2 weeks xx

Oh ok i have read some where about lots of milk i will have to wait untill tomorrow my head is going round and round with lots of things when do you have to start the diet ?the next day ? i was looking forward to eating my last supper as my husband puts it lol well thanks anyway not long now i have butterflies in my tummy thank god i am going to mr slater at st richards he is one of the best take care natasha x

Hi Natasha. I'm at St Richards tomorrow for my first check up, 7 weeks post op what times your appointment? Mine is 3 but I want to get there a bit earlier as we are driving up to Liverpool after. Your in very good hands with Shaw Somers or Guy Slater. It's only natural to be apprehensive but this operation is really life changing. I am so happy I had mine done. A few pains after which turned out to be wind but only slight discomfort after the operation, had the op on Wednesday and could have gone back to work on the Monday and not looked back since. Read the threads on here and you can see what a change this operation has made to everyone's lives. If you have a question and can't find the answer on a previous thread there's always someone to answer it.

Oh ok i have read some where about lots of milk i will have to wait untill tomorrow my head is going round and round with lots of things when do you have to start the diet ?the next day ? i was looking forward to eating my last supper as my husband puts it lol well thanks anyway not long now i have butterflies in my tummy thank god i am going to mr slater at st richards he is one of the best take care natasha x

LOL you will be fine, I did mine for two weeks before the op but every surgeon is different and do different pre-op diets etc. Keep at it though it will be worth it in the end, keep in touch xx

my appointment is at 2.15pm but you know how late they run i am not looking forward to the op but i know down deep in my heart that it will be the thing going i have tried slimming world and lost 3 stone but it all goes back on and more but after 4 years this is it for me.

You will be fine Natasha and can totally relate to losing then putting it all back on and more!! At least this time I know the weight I've lost won't come back on xx

Yes make sure you do and try not to worry, one thing that helped me on the pre-op diet was if I felt hungry I just used to down a pint of water or a sugar free cordial drink quickly and that took the hunger away xx

May see you tomorrow. My pre-assessment was at 1.45 and I got out of there about 4.30. My diet was four pints of milk per day a sock cube drink and some sugar free jelly. You can also have diet drink. it sounds awful but the week goes really quickly and I didn't feel hungrey at all. I used small plastic cups to drink the milk which seemed to stop any hunger. Like Nic said you lose loads of weight when you do the pre-op diet. I can honestly say I do not miss any sugary foods. it's like an addiction once you start eating sugar you want more once you stop then can't have any more you don't miss it. This operation changes your whole outlook on food so the way you think about food now will not be how you look at it after the operation. However, I have to say after my op all I did was cook and keep trying to feed everyone. It dosen't bother me at all if someone is eating chocolate or cake next to me anymore.

i got to the hospital at 1.50 blood test then the nurse and had to ages to see the other two i left at 5.40, was not happy as a man came in after me and he is also in the same day as me the 18 november and he left 1 hour before me not on really but never mind. i am doing the milk diet so i went tesco this am at 4.50 am and got enough for the next 3 days, i am looking forward now to my op so it may be a slow week take care x

Hello i am really fed up today i started the milk diet and i have had enough of milk, i have just had a hot water with marmite yuk!!! i like marmite on toast, x

dont hate the diet make it yr friend that is going to introduce you to a new way of life. I found it easier to get the milk in by making milky coffee.

I like milky coffee but i also like 1 sugar in it, i want milk to be my friend but i am a person who dont drink a lot of it my be 1/2 a glass a week so it is a lot for me to drink in 1 day help lol x

were you not given an option of a low carb diet as well i was told i could do either have a look on the liver shrinking thread at the top.
hth
hc

You can use splenda instead of sugar, and it tastes fine. A few people used sugar free crusha milkshake mix to liven up the milk, that might be worth looking at?

Back