• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Wow, Bowel problems (Warning, TMI if you're a bit squeamish)

jaxx

I had the worst day ever yesterday as far as my bowel and erm motions are concerned. Before surgery I was diagnosed with IBS and had always had some form of the runs, never ever had constipation in the whole of my life.

Yesterday I started getting some terrible bowel spasms. They really knocked me for six and I was shivering and sweating and feeling sick with them. In fact, I was almost sick, I starting hyper salivating and retched a couple of times. I felt like I really needed to go to the loo but I couldn't. I sat and strained on the toilet for an hour and the spasms were still coming thick and fast. In the end, I had to give myself an enema (luckily my mum has similar problems and had a spare one) which managed to clear the blockage and let me go and boy did I go!

It all just goes to show, what you knew about your body pre surgery doesn't apply post surgery. I've always avoided laxatives as I thought they'd work too effectively and I'd be caught short but now I'm using dulcoease to help 'soften' things and so hopefully get me going again. What a horrible experience.

Wow, I hope you feel better that sounds horrible! My daughter has IBS and shes the opposite, never goes to the loo! Bodies eh.......who'd have em :D x

I've had similar problems Jaxx. I've gone from going having very loose bowels due to IBS to going only a couple of times a week. At first i had dreadful constipation and had similar symptoms to you, leading to an impaction (Gross to talk about, i know but hey, thats WLS for you !!!) I'm better at my fluid intake now which has helped and drink lots of fresh orange as this has always been a trigger for me. When it gets bad i have a sachet of movicol and this usually does the trick.
I've got more used to my new routine as time has gone on but still find it uncomfortable at times.
On the upside, before with my IBS i wouldn't have dared had a fresh orange or hot milky drink when out as they would send me straight to the loo but i can now drink them freely without fear !!

Back