• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

YES!!! Progress at last!!!!!

voluptuouschick

Hello everybody!!
I have just found your fabulous site/forum & thought I would introduce myself :) & if it's ok with you all ask a question too?

My name is Vicky, I am 16 stone 11lbs (I have always been a big girl - even at birth lol) I am 42 years old & have just this very morning been referred to see a bariatric surgeon called Mr Dexter at Wharfdale hospital Leeds.

I am feeling really really weird - both excited & nervous at the same time, with a thousand thoughts flying through my mind in the space of 1 minute lol & think I am in shock as I didn't expect my Gp to agree to referring me & now he has I am gobsmacked!!! lol.

I was so suprised, silly me never thought to ask him how long the waiting list is etc so I have no idea if it will be weeks, months or even years, do any of you lovely people have any idea at all or is this a daft question?

Love n hugs to you all
Vicky
xxxxx:sign0144:

Hi Vicky

First of all welcome to the forums. The waiting depends on the area but presuming you have PCT funding in place it usually takes place within 6 months to be honest (most of the time).

I'm sure someone will be along who has more idea of waiting times for your hospital and surgeon.

Anything I can help you with just shout.

Nic xxx

Hi Vicky, great to meet you. Like Nic said, it all depends on your PCT, they are all very different!

So do you have the appointment date for your surgeon? You'll find out much more then. I saw my GP 18 months ago, but was referred to the surgeon in January of this year. Saw him in April and as you can see from my ticker am having my op on the 16th July :)

Feel free to jump in and if you have any questions just ask, we've all had to learn loads and we're all here for help and support as well!

Shel

Hi Vicky,

Can't help you re the waiting time as I am going private, but just wanted to say welcome to Minis - you will find loads of helpful support and advice here.
Good luck on your journey x

Hi Vicky and welcome to this wonderful thread:):)
I have jus been accepted for a TT on the NHS aftera bit of battle but I got there in the end,
Depending on what area you live, the NHS and PCT have a new 18 week time limit which starts from the date your GP sent the referral letter to the end of your treatment which should all take place within the 18weeks guide line. in otherwords you must recieve treatment for your condition within the 18weeks allotted, this is o cut down NHS waiting lists etc.
My GP referred me on the 23/5/8 which means I have to have my TT by the 19/9/8, Thats how it's supposed to happen anyway wether it does or not i'm not sure but this means you shouldn't be waiting too long before you see a PS
Hope this helps and take care:):):)
love Katrina xxx

Hi Vicky and welcome to this wonderful thread:):)
I have jus been accepted for a TT on the NHS aftera bit of battle but I got there in the end,
Depending on what area you live, the NHS and PCT have a new 18 week time limit which starts from the date your GP sent the referral letter to the end of your treatment which should all take place within the 18weeks guide line. in otherwords you must recieve treatment for your condition within the 18weeks allotted, this is o cut down NHS waiting lists etc.
My GP referred me on the 23/5/8 which means I have to have my TT by the 19/9/8, Thats how it's supposed to happen anyway wether it does or not i'm not sure but this means you shouldn't be waiting too long before you see a PS
Hope this helps and take care:):):)
love Katrina xxx

Hi my GP referred me for gastric banding last week to the PCT he said they only sit once a month and for my PCT that is 31 July for the next one. Would that still be included in the 18 weeks? I thought the 18 weeks was from when they said it was approved? Sorry to ask but you probably know what its like to be hanging on to any hope for this.....

Hi Vicky,

I'm in Leeds also, and have had an awful time with the PCT trying to get into it all. I was refered in January, saw the dietetic consultant in April, and i'm finally having blood tests tomorrow morning. I've ended up putting in a complain to the PCT about the dietetic consultant, but have no idea if it's going to get me anywhere.

initially i was told that the surgery has to be done within 18 weeks, but i don't know when that 18 weeks starts.

Hope it happens smoother and faster than it has for me.

Wobbles

Hi,

I'm pretty sure thats from when the hospital has been notified that funding is in place.

Shel

Not sure that's possible, unless they've just stuffed up with me cause i was refered back in January..... only just had blood taken today, and still no appointment with any doctors or anyone involved in bypass etc.

Might get back in touch with PCT.

Oh thank you all so much! it's really appreciated your answers have been a massive help as I didn't have a clue but I now know it won't take years lol.

I feel a bit silly now for not asking more questions at the time, & the Gp didn't mention funding or anything at all apart from asking me to choose between 2 hospitals & telling me the name of who I will be under.
i am still in shock & trying to come to terms with it all, it's a hard thing to digest (pardon the pun lol) as I have always been big & to know I will be small one day is totally mind blowing!!
I am so very excited & am reading through everybodys posts avidly which is being a massive help!
Once again thanks a million to you all!
Love n hugs
Vicky
xxx

Hi Vicky

Don't worry about not asking questions you will get plenty of other opportunities and also there is always someone on here that will be able to answer your questions.

Ask anything at all however silly you think it is.

Nic xxx

Vicky I wish I'd asked lots more when I went, so don't worry! You can always start making a list for when you meet the surgeone. I've got pre-op next week and have started on my list for then!

Hi Vicky and welcome. I think the process really depends on ur pct and how willing they r to fund u then there is a process you have to go through different stages and different appointments till u finally get ur op date. I have not heard of anyone from referral to op date in 18 weeks and i think that applys more to normal surgery not wls but maybe i am wrong.
We are all here to help with any questions u may have so pls feel free to ask away.
Take care and chat soon, luv Roch

Hi vicky...just wanted to say welcome to the forum...& glad you have a foothold on the ladder to a new life :)

What an amazing bunch of people!!!!

Cheers everyone! it's a lovely warm feeling to know there are caring helpful peeps on here!! thank you all so much for the advice/info, I will come on regularly & hopefully one day soon I will be able to return the help:)

Omg Wobbles that is shocking! they shouldn't leave you waiting like this!
http://mailhide.minime.tv?api&id=6594&key=be029

I am not sure where I go from here now, does anyone know if is it a matter of me persuading the surgeon now? (crikey, I won't know whether to get dressed up or go as my normal self - looking poorly! lol) heaven help him if he does say yes as I frightened my driving examiner to death when he said I'd passed my driving test 3 years ago by grabbing his face & plonking a big smackeroonie on it!!

Love n hugs to you all :grouphugg:
Vicky
xxxxx

Last edited:
lol Vicky the difference is the surgeon will be coming at you with a knife later on so best be careful!

Not sure what your next step will be, depends on what the funding process is. You don't need to get dressed up though, just be yourself and be honest with him. Do you know when the appointment is yet?

Shel

I have no idea at all when the appointment will be :( nothing was said whatsoever
I am not understanding the pct funding bit .... does my dr have to apply for it & will he be doing this now before I see the surgeon? I still have a wooly head lol !!
xxxxxxxxxx

It depends on how your PCT works to be honest! If its worrying you then call your GP and ask them to explain what the process is. He/She will be able to do that over the phone so I'm sure they wouldn't mind. Consultant referrals have to come in within a certain time to meet government targets, so you should here something within 4-6 weeks or so.

The problem is it's so varied, that unless we can find someone on here from the same part of Leeds its not easy to find out.

Shel

Back