• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help!!!!

Ceecie - in my opinion based on personal experience, nobody should underestimate the challenge of the first couple of weeks post-op, not least ourselves!

Honestly, I am so thinking of you and it is bringing all the emotions back to me. Hang on in there - you're one week down, so realistically just over a month to go before the next challenge presents itself - trying to swallow solids! I'll be there for you, and have everything crossed you cope ok. Every time I ate, I had my head down the loo retching and drooling like a rabid dog for at least two weeks. Grim! But it's history now.

Listen hun, the way I look at it is that if I had a bad day coping, I knew I'd never have to live it again, and started each day fresh to see what it brought.

xx

I'm so grateful for you right now. It's been a difficult day. This evening I went out with the children to see the Christmas lights being switched on......only we didn't see it, as I'd had a coffee and then had to scarper to the nearest toilet. Explosions ensued, along with the shakes, sweating and feeling faint.

I've had about 500ml of water today only.
Hope tomorrow is better.

It's really odd that I'm suffering in this way, yet don't even need any painkillers 5 days post op. this really isn't what I was expecting at all. Oh and my scars look lovely! :)

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement, I'm so surprised you take the time to offer such thoughtful advice. Xxx

I'm so grateful for you right now. It's been a difficult day. This evening I went out with the children to see the Christmas lights being switched on......only we didn't see it, as I'd had a coffee and then had to scarper to the nearest toilet. Explosions ensued, along with the shakes, sweating and feeling faint. I've had about 500ml of water today only. Hope tomorrow is better. It's really odd that I'm suffering in this way, yet don't even need any painkillers 5 days post op. this really isn't what I was expecting at all. Oh and my scars look lovely! :) Thank you for your kind words and encouragement, I'm so surprised you take the time to offer such thoughtful advice. Xxx

Sounds like a dumping episode there hon. You poor thing! They are horrid :( xx

You are welcome hun. It's no bother at all being there ... I really do understand. It's such early days. Remember that dumping can happen on volume of liquid, not just content. So sorry to hear what happened today. Pecker up. I supported my best friend through his bypass eight years ago - I was the person who walked down to theatre with him, and was there when he arrived back in HDU. And every step of the way after ... And despite this and all the research I did before contacting my provider to explore my WLS options, nothing prepared me for the first few weeks post surgery. I found it a lonely path as I did not find this forum for quite some time after. I come on here as much as I can - anything I can say to encourage and support folks is meant from the heart and based on my own overwhelming feelings, emotions and experiences.

Keep going. You will be fine. Trial and error. Trial and error, my friend x

I'm so grateful for you right now. It's been a difficult day. This evening I went out with the children to see the Christmas lights being switched on......only we didn't see it, as I'd had a coffee and then had to scarper to the nearest toilet. Explosions ensued, along with the shakes, sweating and feeling faint.

I've had about 500ml of water today only.
Hope tomorrow is better.

It's really odd that I'm suffering in this way, yet don't even need any painkillers 5 days post op. this really isn't what I was expecting at all. Oh and my scars look lovely! :)

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement, I'm so surprised you take the time to offer such thoughtful advice. Xxx

I make a point of ordering a skinny latte when out now ;). Much easier than asking what milk they use .. And to be honest I don't really taste the difference.

You really should be drinking more though as 500ml is not nearly enough. I would say you should be aiming to get 500mls in between your meals by little sips more or less constantly ;)

Frankie is right. I bought a Sistema plastic drinking bottle in Waitrose (cost about £2.50 I think), and etched 125ml hourly portion markers into it. It took about six or seven hours of fluids, enough for a day away from home. That way I knew exactly what I had to drink each hour. It worked for me - espesh as it was over 30degrees in London in the middle of July, so keeping my fluids up was even more essential x

You ladies are great! Brilliant idea!!!

I feel better today. I read the entire diary of Yvrese ( hope I've spelt that right) and feel more positive.

I'm going to get a drinks bottle and focus.

Thank you both xxx

You might find it easier to drink something like warm ribena or vimto, especially if you're dumping that often :/ Also take it slow. Just sip it through the day. If you're struggling with milky drinks it may be a lactose issue rather than dumping though - it might be worth trying lactofree milk or soya etc and seeing if that makes a difference. Its pretty common for there to be a period of intolerance post op.

Warm ribena sounds appealing. I'm worried about the sugar content tho. I have sugar free powders to add to water so will try that today.

I know this is more about my mind than my body. I woke up at 3am and gulped down 2 swigs of water before remembering I need to be careful. I've always been a fast water/drinker so changing that habit is a challenge.

Have the no added sugar ones hun, not the full sugar ones. You do need to slow yourself down because I'll bet it bloody hurts :(

You are welcome hun. It's no bother at all being there ... I really do understand. It's such early days. Remember that dumping can happen on volume of liquid, not just content. So sorry to hear what happened today. Pecker up. I supported my best friend through his bypass eight years ago - I was the person who walked down to theatre with him, and was there when he arrived back in HDU. And every step of the way after ... And despite this and all the research I did before contacting my provider to explore my WLS options, nothing prepared me for the first few weeks post surgery. I found it a lonely path as I did not find this forum for quite some time after. I come on here as much as I can - anything I can say to encourage and support folks is meant from the heart and based on my own overwhelming feelings, emotions and experiences.

Keep going. You will be fine. Trial and error. Trial and error, my friend x

This is really helpful reading. I'm to have surgery next year. I've ad a band n had it removed. Was wondering if anyone here has the same ? Thanks x

There are a few people around who have had bands and converted. Sashie is one person

Better day today folks! I've managed 1 litre of sugar free squash and a coffee. Tonight I'm going to have watered down soup and as much squash as I can.

Went to Boots and bought chewable multivitamin s, zinc and echinacea. I was sent home with effervescent versions from hospital and I have really struggled to take them.

Can anyone suggest anything else which may help me achieve long term health? Should I be trying protein shakes at this stage ?

Hope you are all having a lovely Saturday.

X

Protein shakes may have too much sugar if you dump easy. You can try, but be careful and maybe mix with water not milk. Well done on the fluids :) I take a multivitamin with a-z minerals + calcium in citrate form and ferrous fumarate (iron) twice a day.

Dehydration can make us feel really crappy so well done on upping the fluid levels :)
Ditto on what Yve says about the shakes too ;) xx

Perfectly normal ..I looked like I was full term pregnant with all the swelling!

Back