• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

3 day became 3 week admission!

Cherub08

Had my bypass on 19/2 but deteriorated over the following few days, had to have emergency op and put to sleep and intubated on intensive care for a few days.
Surgeon found leaks, staples undone and various collections of infection all over.
I've been on TPN feed and various IV drugs and antibiotics, numerous CT scans and drains.
Surgeon met with my partner a few times to update and said he didn't know if I'd survive and was doing all he could. It was touch and go for a few days!

They overfilled me on TPN and my BP went high with swellings and pain to legs and feet. Had to have catheter back in whilst they gave IV frusemide to reduce fluid.

I'm home but with drains, strong antibiotics and still unwell, feel exhausted. Surgeon wanted me home rather than acquiring any hospital borne infections. I've to see him next week in clinic.
It's left me with bladder problems and having to wear inco pants!!

Feeling emotional and tramatised by what's happened to me, having nightmares after being in intensive care!

Only managing tiny amounts and not getting on with puréed diet at all, dietician has said can have liquid instead-soup, slim fast, milk, yogurt.

All I'm going is drinking and sleeping, can't do much else at all!

You poor thing! Sounds horrendous. I hope you're on the mend. Rest and fluids are all good. Look after yourself hon xx

Oh I am so sorry, I hope you will recover fast.
I can't believe the dietician suggested slimfast. I would have thought at this stage you would need build up drinks. You must need energy to beat this. Check it with them.
Wishing you a speedy recovery and looking forward getting good news from you soon..

Awww bless you hun, you've really been through it!! So glad you pulled through, you must be a real fighter :)
Wishing you a full and speedy recovery x

Would have thought that you need more protein/calls to assist with healing? You van order Ensure nutrition drinks from a pharmacy ( expensive), there are loads of protein shakes available eg Syntrax, and using things like almond milk will have more nutrients than dairy I think. Bless you, sounds terrible xx

Hi, and thank you so much for sharing your story. It's so important to hear about the problems that might occur.

Sending hugs and lots of positive thoughts for a speedy recovery.

Claire x

So sorry to hear about this. Must have been a very scary experience for you and your family. Really hope you recover soon love. Take care xx

Sending you best wishes and fingers crossed for a good recovery from now onwards. You are obviously a fighter, keep up the good work and keep us updated on how you're getting on x x x

Wow, what a terrible ordeal. So glad to hear you are home and improving. I'm not surprised you are having nightmares. When you are doing better physically it might be important to take care of yourself mentally. Keep talking, here and maybe to your doctor too. Be kind to yourself. Also thank you for sharing your story here, what has happened to you is extremely rare but it is important for people to know the risks. I've known a couple on people on here to have similar experiences, hopefully one of them will see this and respond and let you know how they coped and recovered. I hope you are feeling much better soon. Take care x

What an awful time you've had. I hope the worst is over you and you are on the road to recovery. As other people have said make sure you get support with the emotional side and have someone to talk things through with. Xx

What an awful ordeal for you and you family to go through. I hope you are now on the road to recovery. Thank you for sharing your story. Be kind to yourself and if you need to sleep that is fine, your body needs the rest to heal itself.

Take care and please keep us up to date with your progress

Lynn x

Hi Cherub My story is very similar to you, operated on 23 feb lower anastomoses came apart bled in bowel and abdomen rushed back to theatre, bloods in lungs on ICU for 1 week (this has left me very traumatised). I am sill in hospital 200 miles from home with cellulitis in side on draining pus into stoma bag. Back to theatre again for washout tomorrow. I really feel for you and maybe we can support each other through this. I have been through all the humiliations a body can have. I now have a picc line in which gives me antibiotics and can take blood as I had no veins left. Love and hugs to you xxxxx

Last edited:
Oh alison, you sound worse than me! I too had a pic line and they fed me on TPN. I can identify with you about humiliation in terms of incontinence of both and not being able to do anything for yourself!
I hold you in my thoughts and wish you well ASAP.
Did they say why it went the way it has?
It's so hard for you to be away from everyone you know too. Are you getting any visitors?
Sending you some healing and hugs. Take care hun xx

Hi Cherub

It was the lower join that had been bleeding and had clot in bowl size if Apple. This then bled into right side. Was in agony but told it was wind until started vomiting blood.

At present main problem is infection in underlying tissues on right side if body. Going to theatre in morning for wash out of wound.

My husband is up here at the moment but lost his mum while I was in ICU to pancreatic cancer.

All a nightmare. Are you still on IV antibiotics at home? How are your wounds etc and how are you doing??

Take care.

Chrub08 wishing you a speed recovery, you have been through the mill hope your feeling better soon :)

So sorry to hear your news Alison. I hope they get your infection under control and that you start to pick up and feel better soon.i had something similar witha blood login the lower stomach - surgeon said back pressure caused problems with staplesand infection developed. They had to wash me out too and have drains to remove infection.
Are you NBM and on tpn?
Hope it's gone well today and that you soon recover.
Sorry for your loss too.soundslike you're all going through a terrible time!
Let the look after you!
Ruthxx

Hi Ruth

Been down to theatre at 5.30 had wound washed out and packed with betadine dressings. Was in such pain after lots of morphine. Got to go back in morning and have it done again.

No TPN have been eating small amounts all way through except when waiting for theatre.

Hopefully get some sleep now.

Hope things are looking up with yourself

Ali xxx

Back