• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

7 months later...

J-Mo

Had very bad experience 7 months ago when they tried to fit my gastric balloon. I simply could not get the camera down. To say I was treat badly is an understatement. After being discharged from hospital I heard nothing from them.

I get got an appointment letter to go back in January. Week before my appointment I then got another letter to say it had been cancelled & they get back to me with another date to go to the clinic.

It took me until March to pluck up the courage to ring my consultants secretary. I had an appointment yesterday at the clinic & the consultant had agreed to give me a bypass!! I'm elated.

However, I gotta have to camera down again beforehand & to say I am petrified is an understatement!

Anyone got any advice that may help me?!

Congrats on the bypass, sorry I havnt got any advice on the camera, I had it once years ago and though it wasnt pleasant there was no problem. Good Luck though x

Ask them if they do a numbing drink I had a camera some years ago and they gave me a small drink which relaxed my gullet

Not sure what sedation you had last time ? I have a very sensitive gag reflex and was very anxious beforehand. I had a chat with the team and they agreed to give me both the throat spray and the IV sedation and they gave me a large dose of the IV sedation just to be sure !
Ask what they plan to use for your procedure and explain the situation beforehand, so that there is a plan in place. i found it very reassuring.
Its not a very pleasant experience, but is a necessary evil and its over with in a couple of minutes.
Good luck x x

Thanks Jayne, that is very reassuring. I too have a very sensitive gag reflux, so bad I sometimes gag when cleaning my teeth!! When did u discuss the sedation with the team? All I had was the spray to the back of my throat & although they explained what would happen when they gave me it, I didn't know he was going to spray when he told me to open my mouth (I had my eyes tightly closed in case I saw the tube & passed out)!! Ha, ha.

Wimp I know. Yet I'm not afraid of any pain etc. I'm not even scared about the op its just getting this bloody tube down my throat. Ironic when u think its my ability to shovel food down my throat that has got me here in the first place.

I've never had a camera down my throat but the idea really doesn't appeal. Some people are sedated i thought when they have it?

Good luck though , sounds like you've had a hell of a time and i hope you get your bypass soon :) xx

I've had two endoscopies both with the numbing spray and sedation. I couldn't have done it without both. Maybe mention that you'd prefer sedation to your doctor after what happened last time.

good luck x

Good luck

Hi J-Mo
I've had two and like Jayne have a very sensitive gag reflux, insist on IV sedation, i did and i was fine. What the sedation does is affect your short term memory, although you are awake you don't remember them putting the camera down your throat. I had to ask if they had done it not to mention if i had behaved hee hee! Once you get your appointment call them and say you want sedation on the day! Congratulations on getting your bypass thats fantastic news xx

J-Mo, Mr Balpurhi performed my proceedure, I was asked by the nurse when asking all the pre-med questions which I preferred and I told her straight that I wanted knocking out! I wouldn't have been able to have to proceedure otherwise, like Jayne and other ladies that have responded got a very strong and sensitive reflux action. There was absolutely no problem with my decision and it was a doddle!

Lesley

Congratulations on getting a bypass. I know its easier said than done but try not to get worked up as I find it only makes it worse. Yes I know its easier to say than do.The team at Sunderland are very nice and helpful and there were loads of people getting sedation when I went for my camera. Everyone I am sure is nervous about it. Talk to them before getting it done I had to talk to a nurse who explained everything and asked if I wanted sedation or the spray. I hope this helps

Good luck
Jo
xx

Thanks Lesley. It was Dr Nylander who did mine & he was an absolute b**tard to me. One of his many inappropriate remarks were 'could you not just go on a diet to lose a few lbs instead of causing all this hassle'!!! Yeah great no problems mate I'll join weight watchers 'cos I've never done that & every other conceivable diet over the years....(being ironic) Ha, ha

Oooohh!! Rant over

Hi J-Mo

I had the gastric camera in Sunderland also. I had the IV sedation AND the throat spray

I found them really helpful and supportive - best thing I feel is to have all the plans in place before the procedure starts, so talk about this in full with the nurse beforehand.

Good luck and congratulations on the coming bypass :)

good luck for your appointment Jacci :)

great to meet you tonight :)

Back