• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Allergic to food and immune to diets: my gastric bypass story

Hi Sara

That would be great to meet up afterwards. Love to get the low down on it all. Really excited but very nervous as well. The op doesn't scare me the is the awardwards post-op that worries me and not knowing what to expect. The docs and nurses go through everything with you, but I feel it is a bit sugar coated. Only someone who has actually gone through it can really tell you what it is like. When is it you actually have the op? Hope it all goes well.

I am at uni as well in Liverpool, what are you studying? I am doing Radiotherapy and doing clinical placement at Christies Hospital in Manchester.

Good luck

Helen

Hi Helen,
Great, we will have to set up something after my op. What's you email address?
I'm third on my surgeon's list so I go to hospital 7am this Saturday and will have my op around 10.30-11am he said. No eating for 6 hours pre-op. Just what I need at the end of a week's liver diet!!
I tried blending my tea (small potato, quorn sausage and peas) last night to practice for the puree time. It tastes absolutely disgusting. I may have to live on youghurt and soup and baby food if it's any good...such joy! Lol.
I'm doing a masters in Journalism at Salford Uni. Big change from my last job-teaching.
Right, speaking of uni, I'm going to get down to some revision now. See you all later...

Happy revising! I am working my way thorough a tricky and dull research essay for my degree this week - want it done by Sat - I am off on holiday to Yorkshire on Sat so will be thinking of you going off to theatre on my journey north - i will have no internet access for a week so just think you will be all done and dusted and well on the way to feeling better by the time I catch up with all of the news. Good luck again for last exams x

Hi sara

Sorry not been in touch, just been resting.. and sleeping alot......

will text you later, good luck for your op....... you will be fine, im always here if you wanna chat......

can you text me your address please hun

take care thinking of you

xxx

Hi Sara

My email address is : [email protected].

The liver diet is torture don't you think, I had to go through it in April when I was orginially meant to have op only to be cancelled at the last minute because I had a chest infection. All that hard work for nothing, but I suppose it was great practice. Do you have to have nothing but clear fluids for the last two days? Never got to that bit, but I think it going to be a nightmare.

Hope everything goes ok for you on Saturday, i'll be thinking of you and hope to meet up soon.

Take care
Helen

Hi everyone!
Well, my op is the day after tomorrow and I'm not quite sur what I'm doing now...
I have just had my last two exams, which I'm happy to have behind me. I have no idea how I've done, I'll just have to wait and see.
When I left, I got a call to say that I've won first prize in the Cooperative Journalist Awards with a feature I've written about ASBOs being a badge of honour! I knew that i'd won the regional final last month, which I was shocked at so I'm over the moon that I have come first nationwide!! If you want to see my feature, it should be on The Independent's website on Monday!!I'll post the web address if I'm well enough.
So now I'm home, without revision to do and not quite believing I have done so well in the competition. I have made a to do list to keep me occupied (with such things as washing car, washing dog and packing!lol)until the operation, but it's strange having a choice of things to do after studying all month. I guess it's now that the nerves will start to kick in...

Brilliant news about the competition - you clever thing you:)
Also congratulations on finishing the exams - that must feel great.
Keep busy, stay positive and look forward with enthusiasm - if you get scared, just remember all of the countless reasons why you want the op - all will be fine:p

Hi Ali,
Thanks for all the words of encouragement. Been on the phone to family tonight and everyone is a bit nervous about the op now as it's so close.
I hope their nervouseness doesn't rub off on me. I'm still not sure whether to feel nervous or excited. I have decided that I will miss Pepsi Max the most after the op. I wish there was some way that they could feel it to me through a drip because I really am hooked to it! Lol.
Going to try to relax a bit now, if I can with the op so close!!

Hi Sara

Been following your threads hun, just in case I don't get chance to get on tomorrow, Fridays are a nightmare at work for me I just wanted to wish you all the luck and I am looking forward to seeing you post again when your up to it and glad the lovely Georgina will keep us all updated because you know we all worry when one of us goes in for the op.

Oh I live not that far from you too in Chorley, Lancs so perhaps we can meet up too and you can help me through my op (when you feel up to it of course)! Like Helen I'm having it at The Regency.

Anyway I'll stop rambling now.

Love Nic xxx

Hi Sara

I'm the same but it Dr Pepper for me, I'm totally addicted to it.

Well done on your article, you must have worked really hard on it. I hope you have passed your exams, but at least you can forget about them for now, all the hard work is done and you can concentrate on your op. I wish mine would come round quick, now I know the date (26th June - 4 weeks today, not that I am counting, lol) it seems to be really dragging.

Your lucky not having to just have nothing but clear fluids on the last two days before op, although the liver diet itself is a killer. They seem to have different diets and times on the diets in ecah hospital or even consultant, you'd think it would all be standard wouldn't you.

I bet you are really excited now it is so close, I hope all goes well and can't wait to hear about it when you get home.

Take care and good luck

Helen

Hi Nic and Helen,
Thanks for the support. I was the same, longing for the op to come quickly, but now it;s here it is a very strange feeling. This morning I just wanted to stay in bed (on my new memory foam matress-mmm) and just forget about it all. And now I'm just keeping myself busy by doing things I may nt have the energy to do straight away post op. I have everything ready to pack, but can't quite get myself to pack it all together yet. I'm weird I know.
I spoke to my dad this morning and he doesn't seem too worried about it. It's good really because if he was it would make me nervous. Today, I can't really say I'm nervous or in the touchy mood that i have been all week, I'm just kind of going through the motions and am quite numb. No doubt later on I will be in a different mood.
Nic, meeting up sounds great. My email address is [email protected] if you want to get in touch...
I'll be back later to keep you updated...

hello my friend sara, i want to wish you oodles and oodles of best woshes for tomorrow. the liver diet sounds blah, did you keep up with it? lose any weight? what are your beginning stats?
god bless, susie

Hi Susie,
Well, when I decided to go for the op I was around 16 stone 7, BMI 42.5. Then over the weeks. with exams and eating as much of everything that I'm going to miss after the op etc, I went up to 17 stone 7. I have now been on the liver shrinking diet for a week and after sticking to it rigidly (despite having a massive urge to eat naughty things!)and am now 16 stone 12/13.
I know it sounds like I should go on a diet to lose weight, but after the first week, I lose very slowly and then although I get a good weight loss after a while I can't keep it off and even put weight on when I stick to the diet!
So I'm now putting my life of yo-yo dieting behind me and from tomorrow will begin my gastric bypass journey to a slimmer me. I hope that I will be well enough to exercise soon as I hate ending up with baggy skin and really want to make sure I end up as toned as possible!
Thank you very much for your support-it's much appreciated! How are you?

Hi Sara,
Just a quickie to wish you lots of luck for tomorrow - I will be thinking of you. Look forward to seeing how you are 1 week post-op when I get back from hols.
Will be thinking of you xx

Hi Sara
Thanks very much for the email address and will look forward to meeting up with you when you feel ready. I will send you my mobile number too in case Georgina isn't around (bless her, am thinking of her lots) so that if you want I can post your updates on here for you because I know everyone will be looking out and waiting to hear.

Lots of love xx

Back