• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Am getting there...I think!

Lyn8124

Journeying to the real me
I can hear Elvis singing that in my mind (it's now or never!) lol but it's true. I have spent the last week thinking of cancelling my appointment on 28th April. Main reason being that I can't stick to a diet so how could I do a pre-op one? I've put on 10lbs in about 6 weeks. So it's either bite the bullet and get on with it or get fatter and fatter til I die, sooner rather than later.

I have to stop messing around and just get on with it. No matter how painful dieting is mentally or physically, it won't be half as painful as having to have a limb or kidney removed from diabetes.

I have spent my childhood, teens and 20s fat and I don't wanna go into my 30s fat. I am 27 in June.

My first goal is to last 72hours.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies girls. I will find out what the surgeon wants me to do for pre-op when I see him Mon. I'm about half-way to meeting my first goal, second is to last a full week. Taking baby-steps.

I got hair extentions and braids put in my hair yesterday, they are really nice but was supposed to be my reward for weight off not on lol. I've some catching up to do.:D

ill be thinking about u lynn.... wot is ur bmi??? ul only have to do the diet for a few weeks and i was a big eater... loadsa takeaways chocs etc... and i managed it i have faith in u girl.... ill be honest with u i did the diet 4 3wks and chEated once a week lol and still lost 12lbs!!! so dont get disheartened b4 u start.... u can do it and me and the alien will be cheering u on!!!!
Donna xxx

I can hear Elvis singing that in my mind lol but it's true. I have spent the last week thinking of cancelling my appointment on 28th April. Main reason being that I can't stick to a diet so how could I do a pre-op one? I've put on 10lbs in about 6 weeks. So it's either bite the bullet and get on with it or get fatter and fatter til I die, sooner rather than later.

I have to stop messing around and just get on with it. No matter how painful dieting is mentally or physically, it won't be half as painful as having to have a limb or kidney removed from diabetes.

I have spent my childhood, teens and 20s fat and I don't wanna go into my 30s fat. I am 27 in June.

My first goal is to last 72hours.
Hey hunny
You can do it!!!!! One hour at a time.
Nessa xx

Omg, I just realised my bmi is almost 50.:eek: I know it was 47 last time I checked but this extra 3% sounds really bad. Half my body is pure fat. Jeez.

I have finally accepted I cannot SS again under any circumstances, only took me a year and a half lol.

I have planned what I am going to eat tomorrow and I will stick to it. In fact I might write out a week's worth of menus. An A4 page for each day of the week, nicely written with gel pens and stick it on kitchen cupboard. Might make it more fun and interesting. That's it, I'll write out some menus and then I can make a shopping list.

Thanks hon.

Lyn, that sounds a great idea to make up the menus - very positive!

Something else I find helps is to have a hobby, because you get so wrapped up in it that you don't think about eating or snacking.

After breakfast and taking the kids to school, I like playing on line games (the free ones, not pay sites). Zylom is the one I use, google it, join for free and play away :). I also like making miniature scenes in 1/12th scale. When I am cutting, glueing, sewing etc, I don't think about food and rarely snack. Tum tells me when it's lunch time, so a sandwich and a cuppa, then back to busying myself till it's time to get the kids from school. More crafty things (I also like making cards) until dinner time, then hubby is in and we do dinner, watch tv, chat to some on line friends etc.

Have you got any hobbies you can persue? Even if it stops you munching just one snack a day - think how many calories you are saving in a week :eek:.

Good luck with it and hope all goes well at your appointment tomorrow.

Gerry
:)

Roughly 10 hrs and 15 mins til my appt. :talk017:

Hi lyn

May i ask is it gastric bypass your going for. Ill take it as you are on based on this ill try help out a little.

Ok where to start.

Let get one thing stright dont let the doctors nurses get the better of you. i mean this as in if you fail a diet you fail so what.

What the hell are you going for a operation if you could keep to them. They know it and really you do aswell. The only diet that does count is the 5% wieght loss this is in form of a liquid diet.
Now this is so easy to do becuase your going to lose all your stored waters/liquids from your body they are not looking for fat to come off , What they want is your liver to be as small as possible so its just a liver shrinking diet. so the the surgery can be as safe as possible.

When i 1st went to the hospital they took my weight when i went to see the doctor for my operation date i was just over 1 stone more then when he 1st saw me.
Thats because i had a weight problem. but i showed i could do the milk diet so all was ok.

So in basic your the patient with a problem their the fixers with out you they dont have a job.

The milk diet isnt so bad you get a little grumpy but the milk does fill you up. But you will be surprised being on the diet i will list on how content you can be.

Morning wake up 1 x pint of milk
Between the milk and lunch time drink as much tae as you like but use sweetners.
Lunch time 1 x pint of milk
same again as much tea as you like
Dinner time 1 x pint of milk
this is where you may start to feel hungry so you can have extra
1x cup of hot oxo trust me its not too bad veggie i feels the best
1 x whole packet of sugar free jelly.
chewing gum up to 3 bits sugar free
and another pint of milk

The extra's you can split up through out the day and you can even have uptp 5 pints aday or 6 for a start.
But the less you drink the more you lose and the less time you will be on the diet.

I did it in 2 weeks easy. But the morning of the weigh in i didnt drink anything and i had a mild laxative to make sure. ( im not saying the laxative was good but 1 wont hurt )

All this done everyone was happy and your down for a operation date.

But please please please dont cancel if you feel after the operation half as well as i feel your be loving it.
And also 4 weeks post op im no longer diabetic yipyeee no more insulin for me

Well i hope i havent got my lines crossed and it is the bypass your going for or the band . then this may help

If not just ingore me same as the wife does :D

best of luck my thoughts are with you

p.s if they give you grief i would be mor ethen happy to have a word in their ears. because its the last diet and that alone that counts

Hey thanks for that Frosty. Yeah it was GBP I went to see about and it was not good news. I have been told that not only will I not get my op done on the NHS (which was a non-starter from the off) I may not even get the 'priveledge' of paying for it either!

Apparently the commissioners of the hospital have threatened to withdraw the use of facilities at the hospital my surgeon works from. They had a big meeting yesterday morning and are hoping it'll convince them to let them continue using it. As usual it's all about money.:mad:

I was knocked for six because I was going along expecting to be given a date for my op and sign forms etc and now I have to wait 2 weeks and ring him to ask what is happening.

The only good news is I am on second day of my diet (JUDD).

Hi lyn

I know how you feel my nhs funding was refused 2 times and then granted and then taken away again. but i kept writing letters to the board in control of the money and told them . That if i dont get the operation because of a small amount of money , not only will you spend alot more on my health down the line but if i died due to not having the operation my family will do all they can by taking the nhs to court. as money can NO WAY replace life.

Its a hard road but keep bombinh them with letters. It will work in the end.

But i noticed you mentioned paying for it . If your willing to pay which if i had the money i wouldnt think twice about it. But why dont you goto a 24/7 private hospital, Unless he was going to do it cheaper for you. As i know in a top notch private hospital it costs £8.500 that includes the pre and post op care.

Unless they wont do it because of certain health issue you have.

Failing that i also know a loop hole. You get an address like a friends or family who live in a area that do fund the operation and then see the doctor there and he will sort it out for you. ( This was advised by my doctor when mine got first pulled from under my feet ) And he knew that my mothe rlived in a area that did do the operation.

But dont let them get you down sometimes i hate this country where they have no problem sorting out people coming in to the country but not looking after its own. MAD I TELL YOu

Anyhow try and keep ya chin up . I give them hell just because they said no it doesnt mean no you cant.

My thoughts are with you

Cheers Mark. The thing is, when I first started thinking about surgery about 3 years back, I thought I would have to go to England because you can't have bariatric surgery in Northern Ireland. Then by a fluke my Dad discovered that it was possible. There was a Mr Kennedy you could see at a private clinic in Belfast who operated in the Royal Victoria. That's another thing I can't understand, why he doesn't have his own facility, should've asked him but was too shocked to think.

He said if the board says no, (this isn't just no to my op it's no to any future operations) then he would refer me to Liverpool. If it comes to that I'd have been better seeing Dr Shaw Somers that I was going to see in the first place.

I don't know what to do now, all I can really do is wait and see. I am wondering though is this a sign I shouldn't have the op? Should I leave it to the gods of fate and accept it if the 'powers that be' refuse? Or should I contact my local MP and ask him to fight on my behalf, write letters etc? I just don't know anymore.

It is disgraceful I have to pay for this life-saving op in the first place. I am not a rich person. My GP doesn't seem to care if I have the op or not so I don't think he'd plead my case. He seems happy to prescribe new meds for me time after time. The other GP I see will prescribe something, tell me how much it costs them and then say 'You're lucky we're not asking you to pay for it'. Oh yes I am really "lucky" to be in such poor health at nearly 27. Yes it is self-inflicted but so is alcoholism and drug abuse and they're getting more help than I am, I reckon.

That turned into a slight rant there lol.

Hi again

Aye its a sad state of affairs. But dont give up the fight im 39 now and i thought about it for a while , so you have time on your hands.
You say maybe its a sign that you shouldnt have the operation, As we all know the lord works in mysterious ways , and maybe its a sign of you working for a goal that will have a whole new life for you. which i feel you deserve.

So dont give up you have Nothing to lose and a hell of alot to gain.
Anyway im always here to give any support or a shoulder to cry on for them eye filling stressfull moments . ive been there so i know, just dont give up the fight as i nearly did. There will be a light at the end of the tunnel im sure.

All my thoughts with you

Thanks Mark. I am being pessimistic, there might be good news. No news is good news as they say. I know my Dad will do his best to help, he will rattle a few cages.

Lyn

Keep rattling!!!!!!!!!!!! you deserve this op just as much as anyone of us, look at Mark and many more as your inspiration look at ness's thread too, she struggled but got there in the end!!!!

Keep fighting we are all here for support...

Thanks Mandy.:)

Thanks nefer. :)

Back