• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Am getting there...I think!

I am actually thinking of going to Belgium to have banding done. There's a Dr Chris De Bruyne who is highly recommended and he does consultations and fills in Dublin. It would work out cheaper for me and I'd have the added security of not acquiring mrsa.

I have just filled in an online questionnaire for Cosmetic Bliss, a UK company who provides 'surgery holidays' so to speak to Brno in Czech Republic. I had emailed them in Jan and spoke to Deborah, a very nice woman who owns the company and she gave me a good idea of what to expect. Surgeon is Dr Michal Cierney and he's very good.

I am not obligated and I am just trying to keep my options open. I wish I didn't have to do this but if I get bad news next week I need to find another surgeon.

Apparently Dr Chris does adjustments in Dublin.

I have just filled in an online questionnaire for Cosmetic Bliss, a UK company who provides 'surgery holidays' so to speak to Brno in Czech Republic. I had emailed them in Jan and spoke to Deborah, a very nice woman who owns the company and she gave me a good idea of what to expect. Surgeon is Dr Michal Cierney and he's very good.

I am not obligated and I am just trying to keep my options open. I wish I didn't have to do this but if I get bad news next week I need to find another surgeon.

Apparently Dr Chris does adjustments in Dublin.

Always keep one pan in the fire Lyn , It doesnt hurt .
If the Nhs operation doesnt come out as you thought, You can go the Band option , and Why not its your life and you have a whole lot of it in front of you.
Its also worth asking the top surgical clinic's Like westlondon clinic , As they do alot of discount operations due to it being a top class doctor training school plus they put some of them on tv , so you get a large discount i think its about 40-50% off. Im sure something will pop up , but lets see what happends with your doctor there 1st.

All my best

Mark

Thanks Mark. I am going to play it by ear. Got a phonecall from Michael from Cosmetic Bliss, was going out so had to cut it short. Someone will ring me back Sun.

I'm still none the wiser!

I rang the clinic on Mon afternoon. Left a message for Mr K to ring me to find out what is going on. Rang again on Weds (around 6pm) and clinic was closed. Rang again Thurs and the receptionist who had taken my message on Mon said she'd 'email him again'. I asked her should I ring the other clinic and she said he's only at their clinic Mon evening and the other clinic Tues evening. So where the heck does he work W, T and F?

I am sick of it all and my head's done in. I am trying to decide which op to have with Cosmetic Bliss in Czech Rep. The band or a sleeve gastrectomy. I need to get a passport, pay the deposit, book my flights to Stansted.

I wish I didn't have to go to all this bloody hassle. There is no NHS funding for WLS in N. Ireland and it seems I won't have the so-called privelede of paying for it and now my bloody surgeon has me waiting and wondering. I feel like saying sod you I will do my own thing like I was gonna do at the start. 6 months ago I didn't know I could have the op here in NI and I wish I still didn't know because all it's been is heartache and hassle.

Right now I am so mad at myself for getting into this state, why couldn't I have ate like a normal person? Why can't I do it now? Why am I so damn weak?
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :cry::cry::cry:

Why can't I do it now? Why am I so damn weak?
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :cry::cry::cry:

Lyn

1st of all you your were a normal person you wouldnt be as nice and as caring as you are now.
We wouldnt have got to know you.
As for being weak all the things i bet you have and are going through would make a normal person curl up and cry and never be seen again.

Now lets start all over again, If you cant get funding where you are pay for it.

If you can get the money the operation is well worth it. I was about to pay near £11000 to get mine done before i got funding . and i wouldnt have looked back and thought twice.

The things you will be able todo after and the well being it will give you , Drowns the worries of where the money comes from and how much it costs.

Have a few days rest and then take the bull by the horns and start getting it all sorted. I only wish i could to the operations i would have you here without a second thought.

Talk it through with the family and see if they are willing to support you with the recovery when you get home , and then get passorts and then get ot booked.

6 months down the line all the stress will be forgotten and your be dancing in the streets.

We are always here

Ni ceart go cur le cheile

hi lyn ive not heard from u in a while just wondering how u r getting on with things take care lv georgina xxx

I am "pencilled in" to have an op on the 8th July. I am supposed to be going to Belfast airport, flying to Stansted, meeting the company owners Michael and Deborah and whoever else is coming to have their op, fly to Brno in Czech Rep, settle into hotel etc etc. Mon all day is pre-op tests, then Tues morning is the op itself. Stay in hospital 4 nights then home Fri.

I don't know if I want to go abroad and I don't know which op I want. The removal of 80% of my stomach for a gastric sleeve seems really scary. The lap-band has lots of potential problems. If something goes wrong would the NHS treat it? Or would I have to take 2 planes to the Czech rep possibly in severe pain to be seen by Dr Cierny?

At least if my consultant would ring me and let me know if the comissioners of the hospital are allowing him to continue operating on people here then I would know where I stand and be able to make a clear decision.

This isn't about me getting funding, I knew all along I would have to pay. It's whether the guys at the top say yes or no to the surgeon continuing to use their facilities, not just for me but anyone needing upper GI/bariatric surgery. I cannot get in touch with the surgeon to find out and that's what is frustrating me.

Ideally I would like to have an op done here in NI where I have access to the surgeon if I need him. Or if not, he said he would refer me to a surgeon in Liverpool, presumably Mr K would still provide the aftercare here. I will just have to wait until I hear from him. *shrug*

Hi lyn

Your going through the mill my heart goes out to you. In the end which ever choice you make im sure it will be the right one.
And i think its discusting how they are treating you, I feel you shoudl complain to your MP about the lack of support for someone who is trying to improve their life.
It may not help you now complaining but at least you will be heard and maybe the next person maybe better off.

Im thinking of you through your troubles

Mark

I am "pencilled in" to have an op on the 8th July. I am supposed to be going to Belfast airport, flying to Stansted, meeting the company owners Michael and Deborah and whoever else is coming to have their op, fly to Brno in Czech Rep, settle into hotel etc etc. Mon all day is pre-op tests, then Tues morning is the op itself. Stay in hospital 4 nights then home Fri.

I don't know if I want to go abroad and I don't know which op I want. The removal of 80% of my stomach for a gastric sleeve seems really scary. The lap-band has lots of potential problems. If something goes wrong would the NHS treat it? Or would I have to take 2 planes to the Czech rep possibly in severe pain to be seen by Dr Cierny?

At least if my consultant would ring me and let me know if the comissioners of the hospital are allowing him to continue operating on people here then I would know where I stand and be able to make a clear decision.

This isn't about me getting funding, I knew all along I would have to pay. It's whether the guys at the top say yes or no to the surgeon continuing to use their facilities, not just for me but anyone needing upper GI/bariatric surgery. I cannot get in touch with the surgeon to find out and that's what is frustrating me.

Ideally I would like to have an op done here in NI where I have access to the surgeon if I need him. Or if not, he said he would refer me to a surgeon in Liverpool, presumably Mr K would still provide the aftercare here. I will just have to wait until I hear from him. *shrug*

hey Lyn.....hope you get sorted soon.... thinkin bout you....:)

love

Debz xx

Well I got the news I was expecting on Tues afternoon. He only rang cos my Dad kicked up a fuss with the receptionist at clinic. Go, Dad! :giggle:

It was just what I expected a big fat NO.
Now I have to get off my lazy bum and get apply for my passport. Just can't face going out but I have to so I can get surgery and start having a life! Hopefully it'll only take 6 weeks or less.

Good luck Lynne - I will have my fingers and toes crossed that it all works out for you :)

Dear Lynne,
I am so sorry to read about all the emotional trauma you are going through. At your age, you should be able to enjoy life to the full and by having your surgery, you will give yourself a good chance of that. Don't underestimate how brave & strong you are being to take control of your life & sort out this surgery. I had a gastric bypass on the NHS 14 months ago. If I had been refused, I would not have had the strength to look at other avenues. I hope you have made a list of questions to ask when you meet the surgeons- it is very daunting when they start to talk through it all with you, there were things I should have asked at the time & didn't think of it until I was outside the hospital!!
If you are still undecided as to the type of surgery, try asking some of the forum members for their experiences- they can tell you like it is!!
Best of luck.
Lou.

Hey thanks for the replies folks.:) I haven't ruled surgery out completely and I am going to make sure if I do have it that I have done my best to help make it as safe as possible for me by being careful about what I eat and not giving into temptations. I'd have to make changes pre and post surgery anyhow so I might as well start now.

I feel a bit more chilled about it all now (yay, lol), I had been quite stressed. I am trying to be positive in my ability to eat properly and not turn to food when I am emotional. I just keep hoping one day things will fall into place for me. :party0016:I quite like this smiley. :giggle:

Hi

Have you made any decions about Banding/Sleeve yet? I have just spoken with Michael from Cosmetic Bliss he was really nice and was very patient and explained both procedures banding/sleeve to me. I was quite surprised actually as i half expected to speak to someone trying to convince me to go ahead and part with my money but it wasn't like that at all which was nice.

Hi there Tracey. I'm only reading this now because I was offline for a while. I would be three days post-op now if I'd gotten my passport etc.

I have spoken to both michael and deborah on the phone, they are both nice people.

I have to get new photos taken, I'm thinking that the ones I have will be turned down. Then I'll get the form signed by my GP (if he'll do it). I'll have to get it done next week.

The pre-op diet still scares me, I know I won't be able to stick to it. On the other hand I know I can't keep on gaining weight.

I'm now looking at the 2nd Sept.:rolleyes:

Hi Lynn,

Just wanted to say I'm coming to the end of my pre-op and have stuck to it 100% which I never thought I'd be able to do. It's not been easy, but you have the biggest motivation in the op at the end.

I think things are difficult because none of it seems real at the moment. If I had a definate op date it might be different. It really sickens me that I can't have wls locally. I would much rather have easy access to a Dr and the whole team. I feel as if getting operated on abroad or even in England that I'd be kinda left to my own devices.

I'm basically no further forward in my plans. I wish I was a person who could make a decision and stick to it.

I may write to the Health Minister and tell him I hate him (but in a polite way!). :giggle:

Back