• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone Been To UCLH??

Nigglybits

So excited!! Finally got my funding agreed today for surgery after jumping through hoops for the last 3 years. A little bit stumped though :/ Have read so many forums and done my homework, but stupidly did it all on Luton & Dunstable as that is where I assumed I'd be going. But due to complications I've had I've been advised to go to UCLH. Anyone else been there?? Could give me any ideas what to expect ie waiting times, number of appointments beforehand etc etc. any info would be greatly appreciated :) :) :)

Hi I'm having my sleeve on the 28th at UCLH, I had a one stop appointment 1st when u see consultant dietitian etc that was in March then my pre op in May x

Had my sleeve at UCLH on 22nd May 2014 & apart from the first op that was cancelled on the day (not their fault there was no beds due to an A&E emergency) I cannot fault any part of the process.

Had my first appointment 1st Oct '13 with Dietician, Nurse & Mr Jenkinson, receieved a letter just after Christmas confirming I had been approved, had pre op appt on 21st Feb '14 & a phonecall on 24th Feb with my first op date (24th Apr) & what date to start LSD & have bloods done, the day after my op was cancelled they rebooked me for 22nd May but I didnt know until I was in the operating theatre that Mr Adamo was the surgeon (Mr Jenkinson was on annual leave apparently & they didnt want to delay me further)

Its a great hospital & a lovely bariatric team......good luck xx

ps: I'm probably biased I even had both my kids in UCLH haha

Had my sleeve at UCLH on 22nd May 2014 & apart from the first op that was cancelled on the day (not their fault there was no beds due to an A&E emergency) I cannot fault any part of the process. Had my first appointment 1st Oct '13 with Dietician, Nurse & Mr Jenkinson, receieved a letter just after Christmas confirming I had been approved, had pre op appt on 21st Feb '14 & a phonecall on 24th Feb with my first op date (24th Apr) & what date to start LSD & have bloods done, the day after my op was cancelled they rebooked me for 22nd May but I didnt know until I was in the operating theatre that Mr Adamo was the surgeon (Mr Jenkinson was on annual leave apparently & they didnt want to delay me further) Its a great hospital & a lovely bariatric team......good luck xx ps: I'm probably biased I even had both my kids in UCLH haha

My consultant is also mr jenkinson, I'm a bit worried though as I've got to tube/train home back to Norfolk on my own after surgery...how long were you in for?

Good luck hun....please post your update after surgery would love to see how u got on x

Things are finally starting to come together after 3 looong years of jumping through hoops :0)
Just had a phone call with my first appointments at UCLH. 13th Nov & 26th Nov. Has anybody got any ideas what these may entail??
Any advice would be great :0). :0)

I am under Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge doing the Tier 3 part and the doctor there told me I could choose any hospital to have the op. (unfortunately, Cambridge do not do bariatric surgery yet) and his choice for me would be UCLH.
My concern is access to the hospital, driving from Lakenheath in Suffolk and parking at the hospital - is this possible. I have to use a disability scooter to get around, can't stand for more than a few minutes, so no question of walking. Also can anyone tell me about suitable accomodation for my husband which would not be far from the hospital and not expensive either. We both hate big cities and the thought of going to London does not excite us at all. We have heard such good reports about Dr. Jenkinson that I am tempted to opt for UCLH. So any help on the parking, transport and accommodation would be much appreciated.

Pamala

Hiya Sundowners, I'm from Haverhill :) I completed the tier 3 programme at Addenbrookes in March under Dr Parkes. He too recommended my surgery at UCLH. From what I understand there is no parking there, the best way to get there is by public transport :( When do you finish at Addenbrookes??

Not too far away from me. It's nice to know someone else who has been on the Tier 3 programme with Dr. Parkes.

I am interested to know why you had to get funding for the surgery as Dr. Parkes said I wouldn't need to get it, but the dietician said I will need to go back to my doctor for him to arrange an appointment with the hospital. I have 9 weeks left, next Tuesday I start the last 8 weeks of 'food only' eating programme. I have an appointment with my GP next Monday and I'll see if he can give me a better idea of the process in getting surgery. I have been on this journey since July 2012 (had to do six months with Live Well Suffolk first), and really would like to get the op. sooner rather than later. Not happy with no parking at the hospital, that does concern me greatly.

Has it taken you since March to get the funding. I am concerned how long it is taking to get to the hospital side of things. I will be interested to know how long it will take you to get a surgery date, so please keep us in touch.
I will keep an eye on this thread with great interest.

How much weight did you lose whilst on the Tier 3 and have you been able to keep it off since March.

Pamala

Hiya Sundowners, I'm from Haverhill :) I completed the tier 3 programme at Addenbrookes in March under Dr Parkes. He too recommended my surgery at UCLH. From what I understand there is no parking there, the best way to get there is by public transport :( When do you finish at Addenbrookes??

Hi there are disabled parking spaces at the side of the hospital xx

Not too far away from me. It's nice to know someone else who has been on the Tier 3 programme with Dr. Parkes. I am interested to know why you had to get funding for the surgery as Dr. Parkes said I wouldn't need to get it, but the dietician said I will need to go back to my doctor for him to arrange an appointment with the hospital. I have 9 weeks left, next Tuesday I start the last 8 weeks of 'food only' eating programme. I have an appointment with my GP next Monday and I'll see if he can give me a better idea of the process in getting surgery. I have been on this journey since July 2012 (had to do six months with Live Well Suffolk first), and really would like to get the op. sooner rather than later. Not happy with no parking at the hospital, that does concern me greatly. Has it taken you since March to get the funding. I am concerned how long it is taking to get to the hospital side of things. I will be interested to know how long it will take you to get a surgery date, so please keep us in touch. I will keep an eye on this thread with great interest. How much weight did you lose whilst on the Tier 3 and have you been able to keep it off since March. Pamala

Hiya Sundowners,
Although I finished my tier 3 in March it took until July for the correspondence to go through from the hospital to my GP. My GP did apply for funding as soon as I'd finished the course, but it got refused as I was still officially on tier 3 until Dr Parkes had written to my GP :/ I wasn't very successfully on tier 3 to be honest, really struggled to keep on it, and so only lost about 2 stone :( Haven't managed to lose anymore since, but haven't put any on either so it's not all bad lol.

I have a lot of health issues and my BMI was 65 when I started (now 58.8), don't know if this will help to get funding any sooner, the fact that Dr. Parkes said I wouldn't need to get it makes me wonder if it's because of my problems.

I have lost a total of 3.5 stones so far, I preferred the milk only part as I had no choices, not losing so much on the food and milk part which is a bit disheartening. I don't really want a big wait as I am afraid I might put some of that weight back on.

Have you been to the support group at Addenbrookes which they hold each month, did think about going but don't feel that I need that support just yet, we do get a lot from here.

I'll update you on Monday after I have been to the doctors, hopefully he can give me some definite answers.

Pamala

Well done on you weight loss so far!! That is fantastic!! :) :) I preferred the milk only as well for the same reasons as you. Given the choice my willpower disappears. I don't actually think I had to apply for funding again as such, as that was sorted when I got the funding for tier 3. It was really just waiting for the GP to get the go ahead from Addenbrookes, to then refer me to UCLH.
Haven't been to any support groups at Addenbrookes as (due to my size & lack of self confidence) I'm an agoraphobic. Just to attend the appointments for tier 3 was a massive struggle, but this is something I'm really working hard on, I really want this surgery to make the impact on my life that it needs to, and until I can go out in public, I just don't feel I will reap the full benefits.
Sorry for bleating on ha ha
Anyway, I received my appointment letters this morning for UCLH, it seems my first appointment is an educational session, a group meeting as such, where the different types of surgery, experiences etc etc are discussed.
The second is a one stop appointment, to have bloods done, see the dietitian & surgeon etc etc, from my understanding the surgeon the discusses my case with the MDT and decide whether I am suitable for surgery, then it's just a case of waiting for a date :) :)

I'll keep you updated on how it goes :) :)

Also..... Lol, I noticed earlier you mentioned Dr Jenkinson, who I assume was mentioned to you by Dr Parkes. I too was under the impression that I would be referred to Dr Jenkinson, but I'm actually under Prof Finer :) :) Not expecting that to make any difference, was just a bit surprised as Dr Jenkinson had been spoken about so much. :) :)

I was originally under Mr Jenkinson but due to being cancelled & rebooked he was on annual leave so Mr Adamo did my sleeve, lovely man!!! they are all a great team at the UCLH

Back