• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone Been To UCLH??

Well, before I went to see my GP yesterday, I rang around a few hospitals asking a few questions, ie. parking, time frames etc. etc. Although I think I knew what the answers were going to be I was a bit disheartened to find that it could be another 10 months to a year before I get the op. It hit me quite hard and a few tears came. I had an appointment with my GP for diabetes check so, when he asked how I was doing, it all came pouring out. I told him how your letter had been delayed from the hospital and then the funding issue. I mentioned that Dr. Parkes said I didn't need funding and he said that's because he comes under Cambridge and as we are under Ipswich I would still need funding for Tier 4. I also mentioned that Dr. Parkes said I could choose the hospital and he said again, it was postcode lottery, I had to use the hospitals which had contracts with the funders. It was nice to know where I stood, and I resigned myself to the fact that I would have to go with the flow. He did say that if Addenbrookes could send him a letter confirming that I was nearing the end of Tier 3 he would send a letter to the funders sooner rather than later.

I had my fortnightly check with Addenbrookes today and mentioned everything my doctor had said. She said she would have and word with Dr. Parkes. I got a call from her this evening to say that my GP was working to the old rules. I do not need funding, there is no age limit (I'm 63 and not getting any younger) and I can choose any hospital that I like, well she made my day. She also mentioned that at my next appointment in two weeks, Dr. Parkes will speak to me then and will send a letter, not sure if she said to my GP or he will refer me direct, either way I will be happy as long it doesn't take as long as yours did.

Sorry for the ramblings, but I did say I would fill you in after my Doctors appointment.

Got my new menus today for the last 8 weeks of the programme, not bad at all. Haven't studied them too well yet, have to write a new shopping list again.

Keep well

Pamala

I'm so happy that things seem to be going a bit smoother for you. It is so disheartening when you think you're getting closer and the goal posts change :( I started this journey Nov 2011 and I've jumped through so many hoops so far, I'm hoping I'm nearing the end now, but even then I'm not so sure :/.
There are no guarantees that I'll be accepted my the surgeon for surgery. My BMI us currently 46, and also have sleep apnea so meet the nice guidelines, but we shall see :) :) gotta keep positive :) Good things come to those who wait :) :).
I'll keep you posted on my appointments at UCLH xx

Hi I am hoping to be referred to UCLH as i have been in contact with the head of the department, I live central London so its only 20 minutes door to door for me luckily enough... I have been having the run around with my GP so i just contacted the head of the department to ask her if i fit the criteria, as my docs response made no sense whatsoever. So it would be nice to hear how you got your referral? thank you x

Back