• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone had a NHS Tummy Tuck?

PSL

If you have, could you let me know the process you had to go through. I would be very grateful!

Last edited:
i went to my GP who referred me to a PS.

Hi,
I am due to go into hospital tomorrow for a Tummy tuck on the NHS. I lost 4 stone on my own by eating healthy & excercise & have been left the the most hidious amount of skin. I went to see my GP not about the skin but something else & she asked me how i felt now after losing so much weight, i replied that although i was happy to weigh less i still looked & felt like a fat person.
After chatting to her about how long it took lose the weight which was about 10 mths & how long i had kept the weight off which is nearly 2 yrs she said that she would refer me to a surgoen.
This was July 2008 & 3 wks later i had an appoinment to to a surgeon, this was for 8th oct 08, after seeing the surgeon he said i needed a full TT & my tummy muscles repaired but would have to wait for the pct to decide if they would fund the op, i had photo's of my tummy taken & went home to wait for their answer.
On the 25th of Novemeber i got the ok for the op & was given a date for the 11th feb 09.
Really excited now as i go in tomorrow & have the op on Wed.
It really is a lottery to where you live as to whether the funding is there or not but it also comes down to how bad they see the problem to be.
I hope this helps sorry i wittered abit
Unless you can afford to pay for the op, try your GP first.
Good Luck

Hi Guys, went to my GP and have been referred to a plastic surgeon. Appointment in 3 weeks. Will keep you updated! Bubbles Hope it all goes well keep in touch. BTW ladies what happened on your first appointment with the PS?????

Last edited:
i had a nhs tuck

hi there i am waitting to here about the pct on funding my op . but when u go to the ps they will asked u thing's like weather u have kid's and if so then have u finished having ur children and all that sort of stuff and also they will see what ur tummy look's like all that soet of stuff really. hope this help's

Thanks for that hun x How long have you been waiting to hear back from the PCT?? Are you having a tummy tuck because of the result of dieting or kids??? Mine is kids and a few c-sections which has left me a complete mess. I am feeling really anxious because I really don't know what I would do if I got turned down! Keep me posted!

Thanks for that hun x How long have you been waiting to hear back from the PCT?? Are you having a tummy tuck because of the result of dieting or kids??? Mine is kids and a few c-sections which has left me a complete mess. I am feeling really anxious because I really don't know what I would do if I got turned down! Keep me posted!
well i sore the ps on 9th. jan and still waitting to hear from them at the min
so been wating about a month now .pluse i maybe waiting but i have my kid's to keep me busy . well my belly is cause of my first born i was a size 6 and went to a 26/28 and then by the time he was a year old i was a size 6 again and have not got big with my other three u see. and he was 9ld 7oz so a big baby for me lol .and did not have any c-sction's at all.
i hope all go's well for u .

Yep mine is the same problem, I was very small before I got pregnant with my first, put on a lot of weight 6 stone, then lost it all quite quickly. I had to have an emergency c-section with him and then elective with the others

Hi all,
I had my NHS tummy tuck & hernia repair last Wednesday 11th Feb, i went in on the 10th & had the op on the 11th at 1.30pm, I was at the Queen Victoria Hospital in East Grinstead & the hospital & staff were all great i felt thoroughly looked after.

On the morning of the op the surgeon came down to the ward to see me he asked me several questions then he proceeded to draw on me with a black marker pen.
A short while later the anaesthetist came round to talk about what will happen in theatre & then the discharge coordinator came to check some details with me for when i went home.
At this point i was told i would be in hospital until Monday.

At 1.15pm on Wed the theatre staff came & got me we went to the theatre where i had a catheter put in the back of my hand & a rather handsome chap joked with me and asked 'if i came here often' to which i replied 'well i don't make a habit of it' & the next thing i woke up in recovery.
I was wide awake no sickness & i wasn't tired at all, i was also expecting to be sore but i was fine.So was taken back to the ward at 4.14pm.
My husband & eldest daughter came to see me at 6pm & jokingly asked if i had my op as i looked so well.
I didn't sleep for the first 2 nights it's not that easy to sleep when the nurses are rattling around, bringing your tablets & checking blood pressure & drains all night.
FRiday morning doctors arrived as normal about 8.15am they checked my blood pressure & drains & said i could go home.
I called hubby & he came & got me at 11.30am, was pleased to be home but found it very frustrating not being able to do anything.
Saturday the brusing started to come out & my tummy muscles are very tight but i feel no pain from the wound which is from hip to hip.
Slept for 7 hrs last night which was great.

Well it's been 4 days since my op, i was sent home Friday & i feel fab. I've have had no pain or discomfort at all since the op apart from my back but when you are arched over like an old woman it's understandable that you will ache after a while.

I slept on my side for the first time this morning after waking at 6.45 & having my pain killers ( which i do recommend you take on time even if you feel of, the pain can catch up with you all though this hasn't happened to me) i decided to go back to bed for a while & lying on my side was comfortable & a relief especially for my bottom as it's now has the feeling back in it.
Decided this afternoon to have a bath, just a few inches to kneel in so the dressings wouldn't get wet i found it was just enough to shave my legs etc & i even managed to lean over the bath afterwards to wash my hair.
I really didn't think i would be doing all this so soon. i honestly don't feel like i've had a operation.

Well done to you and glad you are feeling well! You must get some pics on!
Bubbles... how long did the process take from beginning to TT?

Hi I went to my GP to ask what weight was realistic to get down to as I didn't know how much the excess skin weighed. He didn't answer my question but went on to say I wouldn't be able to have it done on the NHS. I thought it was going to be a non starter and didn't think he was doing anything about it. A feww weeks later I had a call to say they had been given the funding and I would be receiving a letter to see the consultant. After reading the NHS web site I thought this was just a part of a process to lead to a 'no'. I went saw the consultant on Thursday and they are definitely going to do it. I was told within six weeks. Because of work commitments they have agreed to do the op in the summer. I am still in shock.

The consultant was lovely and really put me at ease. He even indicated they would look at the possibility of doing the tops of my legs at a latter date!!!!!!!!!

I have lost eight stone and think from being a size 26 without the stomach I will be a 10 (I am fitting into quite a few 10s!!!!

Does anyone know how much the excess skin

im getting mine at weekend

hey bubbles and everyone else, so good to hear about your progress and you sound great. Im so glad ive read your post as im due to go into hospital on friday and op on sat. Im so anxious about it, but you have put me at ease a bit.

The reason i was referred is because 12 years ago i got a massive cyst removed (weighed 5.5 lbs) as well as my right ovary because it was so badly damaged. I had always had a swollen looking tummy but just thought that was the way i was 'built', but one morning i woke with terrible pains and was rushed to hospital where they scanned me and found this cyst. I was left with terrible scarring but have never really done much about it, altho it has annoyed me for years. After having my daughter a year after my cyst was removed, my tummy got a bit worse, but the scarring was the worst bit. so i went to dr in oct and asked if something could be done about it, she told me she would refer me to the plastic surgeon but not to get my hopes up. Then i got appt for week before xmas and he had a look and told me there and then i was eligible for tt. I was shocked to say the least.
I then got a call saying i had provisional booking for 27th feb then a letter confirming this. Ive to call at 2pm friday to see if bed available then if so make my way there for 7pm then the op will be first thing on sat morning.

I will keep you all posted on my progress. My hubby has taken a week off work to look after me (bless). Not sure how long will be off work for, but hoping to get back asap. Ive been told im not allowed to lift or do fitness for 6 weeks. I will find this quite frustrating as i work in a gym and enjoy my training - but i will do as im told.

xx

Back