• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone waiting at Whittington for bypass?

FatGirlsDoDiet

Hi I am with Mr Sufi and had all the tests so far- my appointment to see Mr Sufi is in October and I wander what happens next? How can I check if the funding has been approved (Mr Sufi said that they apply straight away)? Any other advice? Thanks:)

Hi there. I am at Whittington & with mr sufi.
I started my journey 17 months ago & should have had surgery sometime in end of the winter to early spring this yr but due to complecations with the funding I had a big nervous hold up! :confused:
Thankfuly my funding was agreed & awarded to me last week the 4th august :party0048: which still as not sunk in.
I like u have had all my test. I was told now I have my funding my next appt will be to see if I'm fit for surgery & go on waiting list.
While on list I will have the liver shrinking diet to help keep me occupied..
Nice meeting you, it's nice to have someone to chat with when your almost at same stages & same hospitals.
I originally was at same stage as some other Whittington peeps who had their surgeries all quite close together in the spring this yr.
I'm sure u will meet some of them, they are very lovely helpful friends.
What test have you had?
Chat again soon.
Hugs x

Hi Diana Thanks for your reply- I really can't wait to get over and done with this! I had numerous blood tests, bike ride, sleep study, MRI, counselling with eating disorder unit. I was supposed to see Mr Sufi tomorrow but my appointment has been moved to October. The wait ( and Weight) is killing me. Thanks for your support and speak to you soon!

Maria

Hello Maria . I know exactly how u feel regarding wanting to get there!
You will be there soon, October is not so far away, you've come this far just the last hurdle to get to.
I bet once we get to the appt where we are checked for fitness (pre op) it will just be so quick.
When did you start your journey Maria.
Do you live far from the Whittington.
Are all ur family ok with you having this op?
Mine don't even know yet other than my hubbie & kids that is. I always said I wld tell them when I got funding, I've. Still not got around to telling anyone yet! Lol
Chat soon x

Last edited:
Hi Diana soooooo pleased you finally got your funding best of luck with the rest of your weightloss journey xxx

Hi Lisa. Thank you for your lovely post. Like I said before it just does not feel real yet !

I'm down ur way for a weeks holiday from tomorrow.
Not sure if u remember but my mother used to go to Herne bay right from a young 12 yr old my dad also had been there when he was young.
When they married they holidayed at swalecliff all the time. They then eventually had a family & so I had lots of holidays at swalecliff along with 2 brothers & 2 sisters.
I then married had a young family & moved to in 1989 when my husband worked for richborough power station until it closed which
is wen we moved back to Essex.
My parents have had 3 static caravans over the last 26 yrs. We have a beautiful caravan it's like home from home :) .
We go to hernebay/swalecliffe tomorrow after my pump refil at hospital.
My parents do not know about this wls journey yet! I really don't want to scare them due to them losing my brother aged 32 yrs due to lack of care at hospital.
I may try to say some about my journey while away..
Thank u again for the lovely reply xxx
Take care xxc

Last edited:
Congrats Dianne for getting ur funding hun, u have waited so long am so pleased ur turn will soon be here xx

Hi Maria i am a whitt patient and had my op March 2nd with Mr Sufi, ur app has been moved as he is away till Sept.
When it comes to the funding Lorna his secretary will do the funding application, but when it happens depends on which pct u are. I am Enfield and they would not even look at my funding till all the tests had been done.
You can call Lorna and ask her if ur funding app has been sent off yet and if not when will it be.
The wait is usually 3/4 months from the time u r put on the waiting list. I was told that they Whit are now inundated with applications for wls now, hence appointments taking longer.
Do u know if u meet ur pct criteria, as i see ur bmi is 39.9, some pct`s are more lenient than others, my pct Enfield are not one of the lenient ones lol.

If u want to know anything or u want to chat then feel free to pm me at any time, take care Luv Roch xx

Diana, it must be so hard for you to even think of telling your parents after your tragic loss, i hope the right words come out at the right time for you. Enjoy your hols!!! xxx

Hi Lisa . Still not found the courage to tell my parents yet ! :( I so excited at getting my recent funding & can't wait to let some family know; just don't know how? Any thoughts wld be appreciated ?
Enjoying my hols so far even though the heavens opened early yesterday. It stayed nice for the carnival though ..
My pain killers have just kicked in so I can now start to slowly move then take my little dog out for a walk along the beach which we both love :) .
Hope ur well. Chat soon.
Hugs xxx

Hi Lisa . Still not found the courage to tell my parents yet ! :( I so excited at getting my recent funding & can't wait to let some family know; just don't know how? Any thoughts wld be appreciated ?
Enjoying my hols so far even though the heavens opened early yesterday. It stayed nice for the carnival though ..
My pain killers have just kicked in so I can now start to slowly move then take my little dog out for a walk along the beach which we both love :) .
Hope ur well. Chat soon.
Hugs xxx

We went to the carnival! Was standing at the start of the bandstand, was sooooo pleased the rain stayed away they put so much effort into it, finished the evening with fish n chips by neptunes arm they were scrumptious! Hope you enjoyed your walk with your dog i often walk along pass the field at swalecliffe, mitch(my dog) loves it!! Take care xxx

Hi Diana & Roch Thanks for your messages. I am under Camden (I live in Hampstead) and apparently they are not too bad with funding. I have emailed Lorna on friday and will chase it if I don't hear from her in a week or so (I know it is a holiday time). I had all my tests and next appointment with Mr Sufi is in October. Unfortunately, My BMI has gone up since I was pregnant- now no baby but the weight is not shifting either :-(

It is so great to read all your stories and experiences - it certainly helps. Thanks again. Maria xxx

Hey,
I had my op at the Whit in February and was also under Camden (despite living in Brent!!). I was given an answer in two days........give Lorna a call on Monday and see!! I fully expected to fight as my BMI was 41.1 but had not problems. Obviously there's no guarantees and things may have changed in the last 9 months but I'm sure you'll be fine!!!

Good luck!!!

Thank you!!!

Congrats Dianne for getting ur funding hun, u have waited so long am so pleased ur turn will soon be here xx

Hi Maria i am a whitt patient and had my op March 2nd with Mr Sufi, ur app has been moved as he is away till Sept.
When it comes to the funding Lorna his secretary will do the funding application, but when it happens depends on which pct u are. I am Enfield and they would not even look at my funding till all the tests had been done.
You can call Lorna and ask her if ur funding app has been sent off yet and if not when will it be.
The wait is usually 3/4 months from the time u r put on the waiting list. I was told that they Whit are now inundated with applications for wls now, hence appointments taking longer.
Do u know if u meet ur pct criteria, as i see ur bmi is 39.9, some pct`s are more lenient than others, my pct Enfield are not one of the lenient ones lol.

If u want to know anything or u want to chat then feel free to pm me at any time, take care Luv Roch xx
Dear Roch
Thank you for your advice- I have kicked some a*s and Lorna finally replied appologising that they have not applied for funding etc. Hopefully that will be all in place soon. Question for you: what happens next- I had all the tests and if the funding is approved before I see Mr Sufi next, will I be able to get the date for the op? Thanks again and Good luck! Maria x

Hi Girls I read someone 's post yesterday about putting the weight on between the 1st appointment and the operation date. I just got funding and waiting to see Mr Sufi in October but I have put some more weight on (about 5 kilos). The main reason was that I was pregnant. do you think that this will set me back? Diana aka purplefluffything- how are you doing? have you been put on the waiting list? when do you expect to have op?

Hey. Congrats on getting your funding!!!

I would work on losing any weight you put on after your initial appointment. Whilst you probably have a proper excuse for it, its not worth the delay!!! I would also say keep on calling for those cancellations!!! The sooner you have your pre-med appointment the sooner you're ready for your op!! Its a scary time but also a very exciting time!!!

Good luck!!!!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hmmmmmmmm I had my last appointment with Heath on about the 17th I think, and had my date by the 23rd of December. However, I was a bit naughty and called a few times to make sure everything was in place and managed to talk to Monica who sets the appointments. I then had my date set for the 19th of February which was perfect for me as it meant I could go and have a fab xmas, mad drunken birthday before starting my pre-op diet!!

Have you tried to get a cancellation for your appointment with Sufi?

Waiting List!!!!

Great news!!! On Monday I had my appointment with Mr Sufi's registrar and he has put me on the waiting list!!! Does anyone know how long can this take? when do you get a date? He also asked me to get an appointment with Kirsten but the earliest one available was middle of Feb 2011! Do you think that I should contact her to see if she can see me earlier? I just cannot wait to get it over and done with! I would love to have it done around Christmas as I am not busy that time of the year and could afford to take time off.

Congrats!! What an exciting day!! Keep calling for those cancellations!! Do you have the number for the appointments line?? They probably knew my voice by the end!!!

Back