• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Are you proud to tell the world about your WLS?

LeahMellyMoo

Hi, I was interested to hear what everyones experiences and opinions are in telling people they have had WLS. I was very young when I had my RNY and have been very selective in whom I told, mainly because I thought I would receive many negative opinions to my decision to have it.

12 years later only my close family and friends know about my surgery and I have still kept it from my work colleagues. This gets ever more difficult but I don't want to spend my time explaining myself or more importantly defending myself either. Lots of people I know what been very sucessful with Slimming World and I think they would look upon what I did as cheating.

To myself I feel very proud of what I've done and loved the person my WLS has helped me become, I'm just not sure I'm ready to share that with the world.

Leah

Hi, I was interested to hear what everyones experiences and opinions are in telling people they have had WLS. I was very young when I had my RNY and have been very selective in whom I told, mainly because I thought I would receive many negative opinions to my decision to have it.

12 years later only my close family and friends know about my surgery and I have still kept it from my work colleagues. This gets ever more difficult but I don't want to spend my time explaining myself or more importantly defending myself either. Lots of people I know what been very sucessful with Slimming World and I think they would look upon what I did as cheating.

To myself I feel very proud of what I've done and loved the person my WLS has helped me become, I'm just not sure I'm ready to share that with the world.

Leah

I'm 9 months out and the only people that know are my mam, dad, husband and cousin (and I only told them just before the op because I had too). I haven't told another soul! I told people I was having a hernia operation. I guess I didn't tell people because I feel so embarrassed that I couldnt just control myself. I still can't control myself now .... But that's a different story ?

I had my by pass on tuesday this week and everyone knows, family, friends and everyone from work and i've had nothing but support. xxx

Tules

I kind of tell everyone.... somehow not worried about it, but maybe I should be cautious?

OMG. What if I put the weight on and people say.....Oh dear.

kimw

Hi
I tell everyone strangers, people I know, everyone, I have no idea why I say I think it because I'm so proud of myself for recognising I needed help and then doing something positive about it. I told a lady in Asda today as I had to take a bra back I had over estimated the size I need, so needed a smaller one, when I said I had lost more weight than I thought, she said oh how have you done it and straight away I said surgery. Maybe when the novelty wears off I won't tell people anymore but 8 weeks out from surgery I'm still on a high.
Kim x

siana58

Told no one apart from close family, but blurted it out to the woman (stranger) sitting next to me at hairdresser s the other day. Just can't be bothered with having to justify myself

los in it

Ionly told my little sister, a friend, my best friend and my manager for the first 18 months when I started on wanting WLS then a week before the surgery itself I told the rest of my family then the rest of my work mates ....and they have been brilliant I have been very lucky some of my fb friends and I say that because I dont really see them as much as others I see on fb
I find myself wanting to tell people because without WLS I wouldnt be where I am now its just such an amazing gift and I dont really have anything to hid and I cant be arsed to make up a tale that I will have to remember and then keep adding to, why bother if people judge just remember your doing this for you tjhose who judge were probably judging you already! I say blow them and you get on with starting your new healthy, smaller, happier,life leave them behind in your wake!!

Crystalrainbow

Oh so true Los ...... if peeps are going to judge they probably were already LOL
Like Kim I guess i'm just so proud too..... hub loves nothing more than ordering 1 plate of food and explaining why to the waitress..... lol I say 'oh don't say anything' BUT I still always can hear him gloating LOL it just goes to show just how proud he is too...... some days, when I see large obese women I even feel I want to sneak over and say 'hey I know the answer' of course I don't ........but honestly I wish someone had told me LOL life's too short and I missed a hell of a lot of it :) loud and proud ladies LOL x x x

los in it

I'm the same life is so much better now I'm that much smaller I want to tell any big people I see " you don't have to live your life this way go and change it and this is how I did it" but like you I don't if someone did it to me I might have been so upset and stuffed my face but I'm so so grateful for it and how much it has done and is still doing for me

Jay.A.M

I guess it is just subjected to everyone's own individual preference of whether they want to say anything or not. Some people are just generally very private whereas others are not. It is also not right to imply that if a person doesn't wish to tell the whole world then they are not grateful for the surgery. Prior to being big I've always been a quite private person anyway. I've only told people who I think it would concern (my mum, my husband and my sister). As for everyone else I personally wouldn't tell them not because I fear them judging me at all (though some may but I don't care) but because I don't deem it important nor relevant for them to know. If on the other hand there was another obese person desperately in need of help then I would share my experience with them because in such a case it does become relevant for them to know. When the time does come and people start asking about my weightloss i intend to simply respond to them by saying 'I've cut out alot of junk and am now watching what I eat' which is actually true.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that everyone is different and though we have all embarked on this wls journey it will not synchronise our personalities and lives so everyone is still different and their reasons for telling or not telling is also different.

Jay.A.M

I just read back over my message and it may have come across in a harsher way then intend so please don't be offended and take from it the actual message itself and not the way it comes across.

Crystalrainbow

I not sure there is a right or wrong here, as you say we all have different ways and that's fine :) good luck with your wl journey xx x

Melons1809

Jay, I too have only told a few people. They think everyone will guess anyway, but either way at the moment I am keeping to myself. It would be lovely to think I could be so proud that I don't care who knows. Keep your updates coming as they keep me going. x

Pollyann

Leah

I told my family and close friends only, but now I've had my operation if anyone asks me about my weight loss I would tell them as I don't feel the need to lie as its my life and I did this to become healthier :)

kurstywursty

I was very secretive to begin with. But. Felt deceitful when everyone was asking about my weight loss particularly one really big colleague. She burst out crying when I told her. But. THe other day I was speaking g to a colleague who as ask g about my weight. I thought she knew. But her response was 'you big cheat' I could have slapped her and find myself justifying the work WLS patients have to put in to be successful

Yvessa

I have told everyone and never had a negative reaction to my face, and I'm quite happy to get on my soapbox about it.