• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band on the run!

Wd hunni sounds like your going great guns :) my hunger kicked in towards the end of mushys lol like you am (still) working on sheer determination lol x x x

Thank you Crystal Rainbow.. Annoyingly I'm not losing any weight but it's def falling off my face and bazookers! I know it will happen coz I know I'm not cheating by over eating, nor am I under eating, so eventually it HAS to reflect on those pesky scales... Right??

It's frustrating isn't it juicy Lucy! I've not lost either! I believe I'm not eating enough so trying to increase calories. Xx

Well a couple of lb this week makes it 11lb altogether from day of surgery three weeks ago. (i had no pre-op diet).

I have religiously been following a 1000-1300 calorie diet- which is the way I lost two stone a few years ago- I have a folder and some diet diary sheets I made up, that I fill in every day. I google the food, the weight and each item comes up instantly, without joining any group or paying any company.

So, although I have no restriction, the band is most definitely giving me back the mojo I couldnt seem to find to get back on this train.

I say I have no restriction but I did have a horrid experience the other day with reflux. It was the first time in my life and frankly, it scared the beejeezus out of me. The soft mushed up trout I was eating felt like it was expanding in my chest. I now realise it wasnt food (which is what I thought was stuck), but acid. I took a gaviscon tablet and it went almost immediately. Truly horrible sensation tho :(

Yesterday my "dietician" called. This is the first time anyone has been in touch to tell me what to eat. She emailed me a whole sheet of facts for week 1-4 and 5, and there on after.
Great -except Im just starting week four! Thank goodness for this site, eh?
Not really much good to hear what you SHOULD have been eating for the past three weeks.

So this 20-20-20 thing sounds a bit tricky! lol I will look a bit strange at a dinner party! Not to mention all my food will be stone cold! Ive seen it mentioned here but never heard of it and what you are expected to do. Does everyone really practice this?

I can understand eating slowly. I thought I was (especially since the reflux incident which totally taught me to be cautious and concentrate on the job in hand when eating).

Sigh. I guess I will get used to 20:20:20 but it doesnt mean I like it lol

For those, like me, who didnt know what it was. This is how you are supposed to eat with a band: A thumb nail of food, chew it twenty times, leave twenty seconds, then finish your plate after twenty minutes. Put it away. Throw it away. Just finish.

I have my fill on 6th June. Until then its will power all the way!
But that's cool. I can do it.

It says in this new info that I can expect to not lose ANY weight until the band gets adjusted to its optimum level. SO... 11lb in three weeks actually feels like I have achieved something.
Yaay for me!! :D

Yay Lucy wd hunni :) fantastic loss x x x try logging your intake on myfitnesspal, its free and so easy :) save doing sheets and it logs your output too if ya want. 20 20 20 takes practice, and it will certainly come into play once you've had a fill lol good luck with it................... give it ago, it becomes normal after a while lol x x x

Yes, 20,20,20 all the way, I thought that was the advice everyone got, it's on loads of web info I've looked at, plus books I've read advocate it. My surgeon Mr Super explained it all on my first consultation, and again after my op. It is also on all my, THG booklets. I am trying hard with it as I don't want to be unwell!

Hey Hun

Well done on the 11 lbs :D

Healthier weight sent me an egg timer the other day which is 30 seconds for Inbetween bites ! Imagine that at a dinner party lol xx

Hey! Are you there? What's happening with you? Guessing your busy back working... Hope all is well. x
Missing your banter.

Hi Lola
Ah yeah thank you, Im still hanging in here. Im working 18 hour days as wedding season is now in full swing. Im reading the posts but not much time to post!
I am sticking to my calories, and trying really hard to eat slowly.
Ive had a nasty experience of a teeeeeeny bit of ham getting stuck. I only had one slic, but I kinda got distracted and I forgot to chew properly I think. It came back up and really bloody hurt. It scared me and knocked me for six the whole day as I felt bruised. Not pleasant at all!
I have put back my band fill a week as it fell on a day that I just cant afford to be feeling rough. So now Im in on 16th I think.
Have you had yours yet? :)
x

Yes, I got 3ml put in, already had 1ml, so I had 4ml. Felt it right away, very gurgly noises, wee bit water coming back up and heavy feeling in my chest, I got 1ml taken back out, much better! Nurse thinks I have a very sensitive band, so that would be fine just now. Had a bit of a blip before my fill, eating rubbish & very down : ( However, back on track, all together I've lost 24lbs & I feel fab! : )
Glad to hear you're okay, I knew you'd be busy with your baking. Let us know how you go... x

Just got back from my very first band fill.
I have mixed emotions as I have been presuming this would be the start of a new chapter.. But I'm told I'm 20 weeks away from feeling any restriction! Waaaaaaaaah!

The dietician weighed me in at less than half a stone loss (rubbish). She also spent most of the session justifying my being contacted three weeks after surgery with a week one diet sheet lol.

No matter, the nurse then followed up with a confirmation of my 15lb weight loss (thank you) and explained my eating habits more successfully in a way I understood.

It's a long and winding road this band malarkey!

On the plus side the nurse who actually filled the band said it was a good strong port and that, contrary to what the surgeon told me, it had a small amount in it. This means that I'm now on 5ml and the next session in a month may well give me a little restriction. We shall have to see.
I dont think she would have given me 3ml if she had known there was 2ml in it already!

Liquid today and tmrw, then mushies.
And then I start chew chew chewing like a masticating machine lol

I'm not so sure that you'll need to wait 20 weeks for restriction! You'll notice a difference with this fill. My provider recommends 3 days liquid & 3 mushy. It's more than most but always results in a good weeks loss!

Go girl :) 15lb woohooo ....... hope the fill starts to help with the hunger pangs :) but till then enjoy your fluids and mushys again lol ding ding round 2 :) gl x x x x

To all of you sporting a band, I had my first fill yesterday.

They told me a few interesting things- namely WHY we eat so slowly, and WHY that works.. and understanding the importance of why we have to do it to succeed.

Its because when we chew chew chew, and swallow, the food chugs up and down loads of times, up and down the gullet, and stimulates lots of nerve endings. When those nerve endings are stimulated, they send a message to the brain that you are full.

If you eat fast, they dont get to stimulate the many nerve endings enough- it doesnt register.

If you eat food too mushy, it doesnt stimulate ENOUGH of the nerve endings, again, not giving you enough satiation.

That is why slow eating, and crunchy foods work best for banders.
Now I know that, in simple terms, I shall be more vigilant!

Im on mushies today and tomorrow.. but after that its mastication, mastication, mastication!

In fact, if you Google "Mastication".. there will be a little photo of me!! :D

Back