• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

All booked and now on that road of no return

countrywench

I have my surgery booked on 5th April 2016 in the Spire Southampton , my surgeon will be Dr Byrne .
I saved like a demon and self funded as I could not get anywhere through the NHS and my knees are now so painful I am fast becoming disabled .
I booked my surgery through National Obesity Surgery Centre . At a price of £6,000 .
I am 5ft 9 and currently weigh 25st .
I am now following the most strictest diet I have ever laid eyes on and 2 days in I am not feeling well so will have to call the support team this morning .
It says ..
Do not deviate from the list
4 eggs
2 portions of 4oz chicken , fish or quorn
Leafy greens only
A large bag of salad leaves
1/2 cucumber
Black tea /coffee
2 litres of water
Bovril or oxo
Thin soup or knorr stock cubes
Sugar free jelly
Sugar free squash
3 pieces of fruit , not bananas

I've woken this morning with the most awful headache and generally don't feel well ..( I don't tend to get headaches at all ) I know my body is adjusting and it must be like a withdrawal stage while I get used to not having fats and sugars ?
But I have a physical job and I'm worried about this , as I get something I can only describe as a crash , my body starts to feel odd and then I get the shakes and my speech can become slurred or it's an effort to think about speaking if that makes sense .. Then I usually have to eat ASAP , this is somethings that's happened to me for as long as I can remember
I was tested for diabetes about 6 months ago so I know it's not that ..
I know I have to shrink my liver back before the op but wow , I need to be able to function ?
With another 8 days to go , it seems like the highest mountain in the world .
Mindy

Yep, sounds like carb withdrawal!

Stick with it, drink plenty of water and it will pass x

Hang in there Mindy :) this horrible ughhhhh will pass in a couple of days.... drink plenty of water hun...... welcome to a fab friendly site hunni, this will be the best thing you ever done..... trust me :) i had my band fitted over 2 years ago, my start weight was just over 23 stone, i was disabled...... i barely could walk 300 steps a day...........now i can potter all day long with the dog, i have become a new woman :) look down the line, see that glimmer of light and go for it :) be prepared for a fight, nothing isn't that easy...... but soooooooooo worth the effort :) wishing you all the very best....any questions, any time feel free to ask x x x

Hi crystal ..
Was it your knees that were also the problem ?
I cannot stand in queues or walk more than maybe 50yrds without my knees just tiring and almost locking and so painful ..
I know my weight is the main issue with this and this is why I have to take this path now . It's my own fault and I only have myself to blame ..
osteoarthritis in both knees now grrrrr ..

Yep, sounds like carb withdrawal!

Stick with it, drink plenty of water and it will pass x

Feeling a lot better this evening .. Headache passed mid afternoon and I got one dose of the shakes . I ate a small teaspoon of peanut butter ( the consultant said it was OK as long as it was a small amount ) and the shakes passed within 5 mins ..
I hopefully won't have to use the peanut butter as my body adjusts to no carbs .
It's deff a withdrawal and would be so easy to give in to your body calling .. But I feel focused

I would like to quit peeing so much though ! 6 times in the night Good job I woke up

Today at work I felt sluggish most of the morning but this evening I feel brighter with no headache ..
Our lovely customers are so sweet to us and today the Easter treats came through the door
First a hoard of Lindt choc bunnies arrived , all wrapped in gold with cute little multi coloured collars . I sniffed them
Then another customer came in with a huge box of maltesers .. I rattled them and listened to them rolling around calling my name like a lovers whisper
But I gave my share to my work mate who has children so they can munch on them and enjoy ..
Discovered I am pleasantly surprised with Quorn chicken chunks . Very tasty ! Mixed in a huge bag of Italian salad leaves with a little salt and vinegar ..
So 2 days into the pre op diet and taking it minute by minute at the moment ..
Being at work is deff a good thing as it distracts me ..
I've chosen not to share anything with customers at this time , only my work mates and boss know due to the time I will have to have off ..
I feel like it's my story and it's mine to share when I want to and not have it gossiped about and maybe ridiculed .
I think writing this diary will help to get all thoughts and feelings out , good or bad ..
Hers to another day

Doing a diary will help big time :) i told everyone right out but these days i only tell who i must or those or really interested with my weight...... i becomes normal eventually, and folk soon forget :) Remember today and how amazing you were to pass up on all the Easter treats..... it takes willpower, trust me your going to need it :) but remember this day and remember you CAN DO IT :)

I had a multitude of problems along with the knees..... ME too which the weight didn't help either....... i will be honest and say my knees went thru a real bad period after losing alot but i came thru the other side and fingers crossed they are much better....... i still have the pain and injections to help but its soooo much easier without the weight on them....... the days of throwing myself on the toilet are long gone....... i think back a few years ago, i had to have an aid by the toilet !!! One down side........SHOES lol i go thru them like mad now but when i see the miles i walk its no wonder...... you wont regret this hunni..... grasp this opportunity ....get as much off in the early months, its hard going further down the line BUT i figure i'm fighting the fight every 'normal' person has to now.... good luck sweetheart :)

Hello and welcome!
Hope all is going well once you get over the "crash" it does get a little easier! Also like you I found logging it down really helpful giving me a chance to stop and reflect as doing the LSD can be a bit of a head job and reminds you you can and have done day whatever only xx days left
I wish you all the luck in the world keep us posted

It's a start to a better life and one where you'll change dramatically just keep your focus and you'll be fine......X

Woken for work, yawnnnn !
Feeling so incredibly weak , just want to roll over and go back to sleep ..
Motivation is going to come hard today , but at least I am at work 8am - 6pm so hopefully it will take my mind off it ..
Will make myself a couple of hard boiled eggs at work with an apple , then I have quorn and a large bag of salad leaves for lunch , a few cups of Bovril also ..

Last edited:
Hi there,

So pleased to hear your post as I am also doing the pre op diet at the moment, have osteoarthritis in both knees and I'm having my surgery on the 7th April at Birmingham Spire with Mr Super. I'm having the band too.
I'm doing the surgery box diet. Basically shakes and soups. Not easy though. We are off for a day out with my little girl. Just packed delicious picnic for her...but I know it will be worth it. My surgeon said if my liver was too big he may not operate!! So I know I must stick with it...can't wait for Easter to come and go...too much temptation!!

All the very best with your surgery. Would love to have a surgery buddy if that's ok?

Hi blossom !
We do indeed have the same problems and near enough the same surgery date !
I'm a little more awake now I've eaten the egg ( I boil them in the work kettle :bliss: ) and had a large black coffee , this morning I didn't even think I would have the strength to get in the shower , but once the initial pain of my knees calmed down it was fine though a little shaky .
I take a high base Cocodomal 50/500 and also Tramadol twice a day to just get through the normal day , these pills make me feel as though I'm hungry and Tramadol can make you feel woozy and light headed .

My BMI is 51 , what BMI are you ? It's ok if your not ready to share that yet ..
I know nothing about the box diet ? I'd be interested to hear about it !

I did weigh myself this morning , I know I shouldn't but I need the pat on the back :D.. my scales tell me I've lost 6.5lbs in the last 3 days:eek:
It's such a beautiful day out there and I would love to be pottering around the garden :flirt2:
Mindy
Xxx

Hi Mind,

It's called the weight to go surgery box. Anyone can order it but I'm having it as part of my package with healthier weight. Basically you get all the food you need for a week before surgery and four weeks after surgery.

My bmi is 40. I'm 16 stone 10 and a shorty at 5 ft 4!!

I'm only 37 and just want a brighter future this body has got to last!!

It's a struggle with the hubbies food around and my daughters treats but I'm determined I need to make a change.

It will be great to have someone to share the journey with.

Next challenge...getting through Easter!! We can do it x x

Happy friday girls :) just remember the temptation of this weekend is always around ...every day there is bound to be a temptation..... once you've found a way to say no your well on the path to the new you :)

Hope you all have a wonderful Easter weekend...... filled with plenty of ummmmm salad leaves or shakes lol and tons of happy times too....... am pottering in my garden its blooming lovely :) x x x x x

Thanks Crystal,

My little girl wanted to go to the fish and chip shop today for good Friday. It was tough. But as you rightly say there's always going to be temptation around, food in the cupboards, supermarkets etc...

I'm really nervous about the surgery but I'm looking forward to having a new friend (my band) to help me get this weight off!

Here's to new beginnings ladies!!

Happy Easter all x x x

mmmmmmmm yummy :) once you thru the pre op and the early days (take advantage of that honeymoon period) your still be able to indulge .......... i have fish n chips, just smaller........ thats one good thing ...we can still have a little of what we fancy now and again :)

The Easter weekend doesn't bother me to be honest . My hubby is at work all weekend and my kids are grown and flown so I have the house to myself ! Yeahhh :giggle:
So I don't have anything tempting in the house at all
My hubby and I completely emptied the whole freezer out the other day and threw everything tempting away . ( wonder what the cat food tastes like :D)
Working all day tomorrow as well so that keeps me very occupied .

Today I again had to have a spoon of peanut butter and also had to have a banana , the crash I was having was making me shake very badly , but it passed just as quickly
day by day , minute by minute ..
Mindy
Xx

Hi Blossom
Will have a look at that diet later , sounds interesting .
How is it making you feel in yourself ?
I bet it's hard having a youngster in the house as they will have all the yummy food and it can be so tempting bless you ..
We just need to remember that this bit is only for a few days more and then our life will change for the better ..
Mindy
Xxx

Hi Mindy,

I'm enjoying it because it's taking all the work out of it for me. The shakes are fine and the soups are tasty.
It came with my band package but it's available to anyone. I've got it mainly for post op as the food comes in pouches so I can fling them in my work bag without having questions from colleagues!! I'm keeping the surgery just to close friends.

I'm feeling strangely a bit emotional tonight...but not sure whether that's just linked to the diet or just feeling a bit overwhelmed about the whole thing.

I berm on a diet since I was a teenager. I've lost 6 stones on three different occasions but I just can't seem to keep it off. My knees play a tune when I'm walking. My hips ache all the time. I suppose I'm just frustrated that I'm having to go to such extremes as surgery to get myself sorted.

Anyway grumble over.

In a nutshell the surgery box is great if you want to have it all ready for you for ease. Takes out all the weighing/guess work.

Sorry for the moan. I'm usually very upbeat!...honest!!

Hey we all need a moment to let loose and let it all out ! Otherwise it would fester and get worse ..
I was 12 stone up to the time I got pregnant with my eldest so 28 years ago . I piled a massive 5st on during pregnancy and that didn't change after giving birth .. Then I yo yo diet for the rest of my life . At one point I joined slimming world at 20st and lost 5 st , I was geared up and so motivated but then they changed the class consultant :(
I found she was rude and not very supportive , one week I weighed in and lost 1.5lbs and she looked up and said ' not a good loss this week eh ? I expected more at your size ' .

I never went back to class , I was crushed to the bone by that one comment , and sat and ate for a week , everything I could cram into my mouth I did . I ate 3 tubs of ice cream during a film .. So I guess it was at that moment , that one off cuff comment , that I gave up ..
I love food , I love eating , a family meal with all my siblings and offsprings is heaven to me , but I can still do those things , but it will be a bit differently ..
At a family meal we are forever tasting each other's plates , so I will just sit there and have a small piece of everyone's yeahhhh !
I'm actually reading more info on carbohydrates , I was pretty ignorant on them and I didn't realise that although they give you a spike in energy , they also cause the huge drop and that they release a feel good hormone , dopamine , which is a reward signal ..
I watched Embarassing Bodies last , it was about a 35st woman who had a huge hernia and a huge growth on her leg .. She had to get 3st off before they would operate on the growth, which she did and then went on to have a gastric sleeve and her hernia fixed .. The program was so interesting and I learned a lot about carbohydrates and how they work ..

I guess trying to understand how your body works and feeds and needs is a good lesson to learn . Eat to live , not live to eat ?

Mindy
Xxxx

Back