• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band vs Bypass

Hi Rosejohnson, well i am not very experienced as have not had surgery yet but it really depends on lots of different things.
The band is a very successful tool and there are so many people here on the site who have lost so much weight on the site and they lives are changed forever.
The same goes for a bypass both are amazing wls tools and i think one can not say which op is better as it very much depends on your personal situation and what you want out of ur surgery.
The Bospa site will give you all the info you need on both surgerys .
Am sure there will be plenty of experienced Mm crew along soon.
Take care x

BOSPA - The British Obesity Surgery Patient Association

1) your weight
2) if you have any health problems
3) the kind of eater you are
4) the speed you want to lose weight

Last edited:
New Roch is right, there is no right or wrong answer here, neither is better or worse. What counts is which procedure is deemed by the medicos as being the best option for you.

I was not given a choice, at 400lbs with a BMI hovering around 60 and diabetes coupled with high Blood pressure the only option for me was a bypass.

In many ways I like the discipline that goes along with the bypass. It's forever and you do have to be more careful about what you eat forever. I like that. I basically have low self discipline and zero will power, that's why I allowed myself to get the size of a semi detached, so I would find myself slipping back into my old ways with the band.

That doesn't mean I think the band is less effective, but it would be for me. There are some here who have done fantastically well with it and continue to do so.

So take the advice of your medical team they will know what's best for you. Good luck with your choice xx

Your weight management team at hospital will help you decide on the best way forward for you personally. I think I was given advice to opt for a bypass due to my starting weight. However, because I was worried about malabsorbtion a bit, the fact I would be away from the kids longer..also the fact we couldn't quite stretch to the cost of a bypass.. that's why I went for the band. Also one of the advisors on the medical team had lost 14 stone in a year with a band, that's not typical of band results I know but it made me realise losing all my weight was possible with a band.
You have to put the work in yourself as well whatever option you go for.

As the others have said there is no wrong or right answer.
Either can be effective its dependant on you as a person.
Your eating habits,weight,co morbidities, current illnesses, personal willpower etc all count in the choice of which procedure you take.

I was offered both the band and the bypass but having researched both I knew that I dont have the willpower to achieve the weight loss I want with the band.
I opted for the bypass and after discussing it with the surgeon he agreed.

My advise is look at both options, research them both, find out how you eat eg. big meals, or a snacker(grazing)and then when you go to your appointment keep an open mind to the surgeon and his advice. He knows the ops but you know how you eat and yourself/willpower

Good luck :D

it personl for everyone as to what is best i was offered both pushed towards bypass went with band lol i have made it work for and its worked well you need to research and decid what feels right for you x

Like a lot of others here I went to my surgeon asking for a band. At that point I hadn't really thought it through properly and it soon became apparent that with my high BMI, eating habits and co-morbity illnesses a band wouldn't have been the right option.

I too needed something that was going to be for the rest of my life and I couldn't cheat at so was bypassed in the end. Had a four month wait from start to finish so it wasn't too bad.

At the end of the day the ultimate decision is different for each person and depends on a whole host of other factors like your BMI, eating habits, your health etc etc. Best chat it through with a surgeon.

Can you not start the ball rolling with the NHS so that you can chat with a surgeon about this that is going to give you impartial advice (I would be worrying that a private clinic is going to try and push you for the most expensive option), then once you have that advice if you still decide the weight is too long then go private?

Thanks SO much for the replies!

You are all totally right of course, there is no one size fits all, and it's nice to hear people's opinions.

In my head I am trying to work out whether to try and stretch for a bypass or not, or whether a band would be enough. I can't really afford a bypass, but deep down I think it's better for me.

I have loved reading about your journeys, I just wish I had found this forum sooner.

Rx

neither is best, whats best is finding out which op "is best for you", if your a snacker/ grazer and love sweet foods then banding isnt such a good idea, i chose a band because it suits my eating habbits as i was a huge portion eater, your surgeon will help you decide whats right for you.

good luck

liz x

Rose, research the gastric sleeve.Its cheaper,there is no rerouting of the intestine so no malabsorbtion probs.Cuts out the part of the stomach that triggers hunger.Its fairly new here I think,and not many surgeons do it.Some peeps have to do a 2 stage op were they have the sleeve one year and a bypass or duodenal switch the next.Others just have the sleeve.

I had the sleeve done in May 2007. I wanted a bypass originally but that was unsuitable for me because I had gastric ulcers. I saw the sleeve as a sort of "permanent band" with no need for ongoing fills and unfills, no chewing meat until it's liquid etc. After the op you are left with about 20% of the stomach that you originally had and very few hunger pangs (the bit of the stomach that makes the hunger hormone is removed). They have also cut away the portion of stomach that stretches most easily, so you don't have that worry as I think you do with the bypass. Basically your new sleeve stomach is about the size of a large sausage, and after 2 years, maybe the size of a large banana - then that should be it. I went on to have the 2nd part (switch) in May this year and my surgeon took a look at my sleeve while he was in there and said it was still nice and small.
So yes, it's a good op in many ways as an alternative to the band, but if you do want to go on and have part 2 it becomes probably the most expensive wls surgery.

Thanks SO much for the replies!

You are all totally right of course, there is no one size fits all, and it's nice to hear people's opinions.

In my head I am trying to work out whether to try and stretch for a bypass or not, or whether a band would be enough. I can't really afford a bypass, but deep down I think it's better for me.

I have loved reading about your journeys, I just wish I had found this forum sooner.

Rx

My eating habits meant I would be more suited for a bypass.

But if money has anything to do with it in the long run a bypass could work out cheaper for me. I was concerned that, because I am going private, if I needed a replacement band in the future for any reason then it would be my responsibility to pay out again. Two bands would cost more than one bypass.

Plus I mentioned it to my doctor, and he said if there was any problems with my bypass in the future, the NHS would have to treat me. But the only surgery I could have for a band on the NHS is a "removal" but they would not replace it.

If I was you I would speak to the pro's first who will advise whats best for you then work out the money side of things later :)

xxx

i'd researched it a bit before referral and felt that a bypass would suit me more because of how much i have to lose and that because my health is deteriorating i wanted a slightly faster result initially.
My surgeon agreed with me and also pointed out that due to my food weaknesses (sugary and rich foods) that i would benefit from the potential of "dumping syndrome" which would deter me from trying to eat such things.
As the others have said, which surgery is best for anyone is down to their personal/individual issues and the bariatric surgeons are the best source of advice about this.

Definitely research all you can about all options (bypass,sleeve and band). When you speak with your surgeon he will advise you which op he thinks will work for you but it will only work if you have been honest with the surgeon about your eating habits. Don't go in there and say you don't like sweet stuff if you do or that you don't eat loads if you do.Honesty will get you the best results. Don't worry about what the surgeon thinks he's heard it all before and he would.nt have a job if we did'nt overeat or ate the wrong foods would he? I chose to have the band because I was too scared to have the bypass. I wanted the least invasive op and the fact that I ate big portions and needed to reduce my portion sizes. Good luck with decisionxx

Back