• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BANDERS UNITE ! Get to know each other chatter !

Probably have to take it from the amount you have I imagine. I know what you mean about not making it too complicated. That's why I'm using the piddle sticks to show me how well I am doing with intake. I think my fitness pal might be good though to help with the amounts if you have an account going.
Could take a lot of the faffing out of it all x

My shake powder is 8g per serving so I am going to have one of those and just be careful not to add too many carbs with my customising!!
Do the keto sticks take a while to show a strong result or is it immediate if you have a day with the right carbs?
I was wondering how long it takes for ketosis to kick in and register (long time since I used them)

It could. I just checked the babybel light cheese and myfitnesspal said 0 carbs and the carb book 0.2 per 100 g. Either way good on the carbs. I could get to like this:D.

tranquil x

Cool! I haven't been in crazy ketosis just yet but i can tweak what I've been doing without feeling too deprived.
I do love the food on it which helps no end doesn't it?
I might have an emergency bowl of drained tuna with a blob of mayo ready in the fridge today to dip into when I feel nibbly. That way I know even if I am nibbly I am not racking up little carbs here and there without noticing!

Do the keto sticks take a while to show a strong result or is it immediate if you have a day with the right carbs?
I was wondering how long it takes for ketosis to kick in and register (long time since I used them)

I was just trying to look this up - and it does not say or I have not spotted it - but I would imagine a few days to give the body time to adjust.

tranquil x

Good idea with the tuna. It also says keep hard boiled eggs for a protein snack. I am lucky that eggs are not a problem but I know that they do not suit everyone. Going to do my omelette now.

tranquil x

Thanks TB! Just having my shake with a teaspoon of coconut in :) YUM
I do like the shakes because it feeds my icecream beast nicely so If I can cut back the rest of the day successfully I would like to keep having them...plus they fill me up all morning!
I will keep persevering with the sticks then as that makes sense that it would be cummulative right at the start.
I think I will weigh myself when I can see the results are really strong on the tests as I do go up and down a lot with fluid and I want to give this a fair start!
Interestingly though, I feel good in myself and my clothes feel looser.

Excellent Neen. I just had my omelette. It was very tasty. I usually put in skimmed milk but left that out. Made it with two babybel light cheeses sliced on top and I feel very full.

I will keep trying to be as carb light as I can. It will not be a full blown induction - for example I have been having a banana at lunchtime and I will keep those until I use them up. I like a yoghurt for a snack but you are meant to steer clear of dairy. As long as I can break the carb craving I developed over the last couple of weeks that will be a result plus getting the feeling of restriction back. I have not done much today - but it is so nice to just be sitting doing nothing:D. Just found out I can ride my bike in the park as long as I don't speed - as if, I will be lucky if I can stay on it:rolleyes:. Going to check helmets on halfords site.

tranquil x

Lol OK Speedy!! ehehe
No jumpin off ramps and over lines of parked cars either!!
Luckily I seem OK with eggs again! It is really filling stuff isn't it?
I saw some carb block tablets I might give a try. I do like my atkins bars for treats etc and love my shakes..
Fruit wise I enjoy strawberries and raspberries and they are both low carb..pretty much any berry fruit is.
Weird that kiwis are high carb!
The lists are in the book anyway so future groceries can be tweaked!
I think you could have greek yogurt unsweetened and add your own splenda and whatever flavours later on. The fuller fat ones have less carbs as you know.

Not sure..maybe check on myfitness pal for which is best carb wise..it's going to be so creamy and yummy it will be more satisfying for a moderate portion.
The Atkins is a lot easier with a band as well! Don't need so much and what I do have is filling for so much longer.
Just got to make sure I use my emergency tuna bowl from now on!

TB and Neen, you are making me seriously consider Atkins again - sounds yummy!

Hiya Mel! I am doing it because I'm hoping it's something I can just do as normal eating without counting anything unless I really bork it up. I am sooooooo fed up of totting everything up..I think it makes me feel hungrier.
I definately advocate counting cals/carbs to get you back on track and mindful but I have always just wanted to feel at ease around food and take it or leave it x
The Atkins style suits me better as I don't feel good at all on carbs and sugar (much as I adore them- they hate me and have made me uber wobbly) and as long as I can have something sweet and creamy now and then , I can cope OK.
Luckily I really like the atkins bars (some are great) and shakes I make..I don't even mind that they cost a bit more..I'm looking at it as a personal tax on goodies...they are NOT for all the time so I must learn to be economical with them and make them last...not buy sugary chocs and goodies dirt cheap from the supermarket..I don't want it to be easier to get fatter again!

I love all meats, fish and poultry so it's good for me. I have learned to love veg again and was always a salad fan. Might try some quorn as well - there are some great varieties out there. I am hoping this will help while I have the long wait for my next fill.

tranquil x

Sounds like a plan actually, I might investigate further. Especially as my fill has been cancelled again! Not delayed by much admittedly but I keep psyching myself up for it only for it not to happen. Will now be the 19th May so a week today (should have been Monday). So far the 35 pounds I've lost has been on willpower alone which has sadly dwindled somewhat in recent weeks but then again if I had fantastic willpower I wouldn't have needed the band! I might treat myself to some of the yummy sounding protein shake off Ebay, especially as after the fill I'll be on liquids for a day or two.

For me as well I have a terrible history of diabetes on the paternal side of the family and my mom got it very late in life. I feel I dodged a bullet not getting it pre op on top of all the other problems I have so I owe it to myself to try and avoid anything that may induce it. I have been re-reading a lot of the Atkins book today and the theory behind it is interesting. I am looking forward to reading the new Atkins book to see how it compares.

I know a lot of people are not fans because of risks around increased cholesterol etc. I did this for a few months before my op and lost quite a bit - but put back on some under the stress of fighting to get my op - so it is something I know suits me. The band is a great tool to help along the way.

tranquil x

My parents both have type 2 diabetes too so I'm quite the ticking time bomb!
It does say about cholesterol going down in the new book, insulin resistance is the bigger problem apparently. Sugar combined with fat and refined carbs is what is the deadly thing..fats and even cholesterol alone without the sugar and refined carbs is not so bad as we think.
Well you can see from the book as you read x

My paternal grandmother died the year I was born due to her diabetes and my father never has anything with sugar. I have never ever seen him eat chocolate or any kind of sweets and he was very strict about us having sugary things when we were kids. I had not realised how bad diabetes could be until I started visiting my folks after they went back home and met the relatives. It was scary. Still not scary enough to make me do something about my weight. When my mom was diagnosed and had to have tablets as well as inject herself everyday that made me think and that was when I decided I needed to do something.

tranquil x

Back