• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BANDERS UNITE ! Get to know each other chatter !

Hi all! I thought I should join in here too as I am getting banded on 8th May! So excited and need all the advice you can all give me!

Was your dietician Pam at THG CC? I told her I was trying to go low carb and was calorie counting on MFP but she said to eat the protein first but not to cut out carbs completely as I needed a balanced diet not an Atkins type one as this is for the rest of my life. She also said to try and not get hung up on the calorie counting but to let the band work for me and go with the right band food rather than low calorie stuff as that that is what I have paid the £6k for. When the band is working for me then that is what will restrict the calorie intake (I agree with Mazza in the fact that we have to cut our calories). Otherwise if we are not letting the band work and just calorie counting why did we have it in the first place, we could calorie count without the band. I think it it a case of balance, we have to keep an eye on our calorie intake and try not to go for high calorie food but in theory we should be eating a lot smaller portions with not so much snacking so that is how our calories will be cut down. Saying that though I still use MFP now and again just to make sure I am not going over 1200 cals. It's certainly a lot harder than I thought it would ever be. The scenic route is definately the one I seem to be taking!!!

Whoever said this was easy was lying!

It's not cheating at all. That sort of implies that there are good foods & bad foods which means a whole heap of guilt involved. But food is food....its a source of energy which just needs controlling a bit if you want to become calorie deficient. I am NEVER NEVER EVER going to feel guilty about food again. EVER! At the very least my band has given me control over my food choices. It's saved my life....truly.

Amen Mrs pill :)

100% agree MrsP, that's definitely the difference for me now too!

Hear - Hear Mrs P - I agree .

Hello everyone , hope all is well with you all - Have a lovely weekend - Julie xx

hello cc , how r u x

Hi Cc, hope ur ok Xx

Yes I'm fine. Apologies... my brain seems to be all over the lace these days. :( How are you two?

Hi CC

I get what your provider is saying about calorie counting BUT to lose weight you have to find the optimum calorie intake / usage to keep losing. Its very easy to go over (or under) if you dont monitor what you eat in some way.

When you have found this balance, you 'should' lose weight. If your not thats the time to speak again to your dietician - as your aftercare has run out would you consider buying some more aftercare?

Under eating wont help you to lose long term, 800 cals is very low for a taller girl like yourself. My losing level was 1200 cals and I'm maintaining at around 1400. Dont get me wrong sometimes I go way over - I'm human! but I then pull it back by cutting back afterwards.

I am resigned to the fact that I can never over eat again (physicaly that is :cry: although sometimes I long to) but also that I will have to eat this way for ever to stay as I am.

Whoever said this was easy!!! xxx

Hi Mazz,

I went back to the guidelines my providers gave me and I'm somewhat ashamed to admit, I haven't been following the rules 100% like I think have. I@m amazed at mind's ability to pain things completely different to what is actual. In fact it's scary. I'm naturally pessimistic (as is probably evident by the way I post :eek:) but even this scares.

Anyway ... I need to go back to basics, and then let it become a habit. For instance yesterday I was fine, but still ate when I wasn't hungry - I've gained 1lbs but I know I continually went over my calories. I bought a small 'CC' plate to manage my food portions ... I had small plates already, but this plate seemed the perfect size rather than the saucers I was using. Any how I was satisfied after the one plate. I was happy about that.

As for buying more aftercare ... do you know of where I'm able to do that? As my providers don't ... I've asked as I knew I'd still be on my journey 2+ years on given my very very slow approach at the beginning :(

I think my providers take other banders on. I'm with Spire. I get the choice of aftercare or not but I have to pay around £400 for the year. ...for fills,defills,dietician advice and weighins and nurse time and psychologist support if needed. I don't get surgeon support for that but I don't think(touch wood) I'll need it.

The rules definitely work CC. We can all be ostriches at times but if you take your head out of the sand its all positive!! Unfortunately my head was at the bottom of a wine glass last weekend and it shows in my weightloss of only 1lb. Not too terrible though and I had a great time. At least I can still live my life eh!

I think my providers take other banders on. I'm with Spire. I get the choice of aftercare or not but I have to pay around £400 for the year. ...for fills,defills,dietician advice and weighins and nurse time and psychologist support if needed. I don't get surgeon support for that but I don't think(touch wood) I'll need it.

The rules definitely work CC. We can all be ostriches at times but if you take your head out of the sand its all positive!! Unfortunately my head was at the bottom of a wine glass last weekend and it shows in my weightloss of only 1lb. Not too terrible though and I had a great time. At least I can still live my life eh!

Hi, well I've just had my last dieticians appointment :mad: ..... it was a phone call at 8:30am which was all of 3 minutes long :mad: :mad:. I thought I was going to Dolan Park today ... my appointment was made, so when this other girl called I was like "I've got an appointment later today so why the phone call" apparently the dietician is sick and I should have received an email to tell me that the appointment was cancelled ... I did not :mad:. So I had a really poxy phone call with some female telling me my aftercare was up and she couldn't help the other dietician being off sick. :mad: So not impressed with THG. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Anyway ..... MrsPill - can you give me the details so I can contact Spire? Thanks :cry:

Wls group do aftercare only too

Yes I'm fine. Apologies... my brain seems to be all over the lace these days. :( How are you two?

Hi Mazz,

I went back to the guidelines my providers gave me and I'm somewhat ashamed to admit, I haven't been following the rules 100% like I think have. I@m amazed at mind's ability to pain things completely different to what is actual. In fact it's scary. I'm naturally pessimistic (as is probably evident by the way I post :eek:) but even this scares.

Anyway ... I need to go back to basics, and then let it become a habit. For instance yesterday I was fine, but still ate when I wasn't hungry - I've gained 1lbs but I know I continually went over my calories. I bought a small 'CC' plate to manage my food portions ... I had small plates already, but this plate seemed the perfect size rather than the saucers I was using. Any how I was satisfied after the one plate. I was happy about that.

As for buying more aftercare ... do you know of where I'm able to do that? As my providers don't ... I've asked as I knew I'd still be on my journey 2+ years on given my very very slow approach at the beginning :(

Good on you girl!

I think you will find most providers offer an aftercare only package - mine included. There is a clinic based in Brum so might suit you! xx

Aftercare Only Service for Gastric Band, Bypass or Sleeve Patients | Weight Loss Surgery Group

Hello everyone, nice to see some new faces.
I've not been around for a while now and am ashamed to say I have put on a stone since xmas :( not following the rules, not exercising and eating what I can when I can due to another horrendous house move.
Long story.... needless to say I'm quite glad I kept my pschologist appointment now as it's come round and I need it more than ever!!
If anyone has a spare injection of motivation going I'd love a shot :)
Hope you're all well, I'll be honest I've not had chance to read back far just a week or so, but will catch up over the weekend.
Rache xx

Welcome back Rache. Regain your focus and follow the rules and it will drop off again :grouphugg:

2 years today I had my op and I've lost 5 stone in total. I will be dropped from my provider this month :( and am so glad I kept my psychologists appointment, roll on the 28th as I really need the help right now.
Will do my stats in the morning.
I hope everyone is doing well xxx

Rache said:
2 years today I had my op and I've lost 5 stone in total. I will be dropped from my provider this month :( and am so glad I kept my psychologists appointment, roll on the 28th as I really need the help right now.
Will do my stats in the morning.
I hope everyone is doing well xxx

Welcome back!i was chatting to my provider this week.....went for what I thought would be my final fill as onto shifting my last stone....they pointed out that over time the fat around the band (visceral fat) would still change and so even to maintain I'd still find I'd want tiny top ups periodically...that in itself got me home and googling visceral fat.....interesting topic in itself! So just wondered even though you've lost lots is a top up required to kick back into gear?

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Fingers crossed Jo, though I've heard mine won't do any more than 5 fills unless exceptional circumstances.

Hope you're all having a lovely bank holiday, it's a much needed day off for me so enjoying doing things in my own time. Have made a huge lasagne for tea which I will portion and put half in the freezer when it's cooked, served with salad it'll be just right for tea tonight.... yum yum.

I don't have problems with any foods, so long as I take small enough bites and chew lots I'm fine. I don't know if this is a good thing or bad sometimes, I wish sometimes I couldn't eat certain things, but then at other times it's great that my diet isn't completely restricted. I would like ever so slightly more restriction back again, it's nice to be able to down a pint glass of squash again, before two gulps and I was done, I don't like the return of feeling hungry though.
Hey on a positive it's stable, my weight, so I must be doing something right for it not to be rising.

I'm going to start walking again, since moving I've not walked, swum or cycled!! I'm very bad.... well I say not done any I have occasionally, but not with any regularity and I want to start again.
I've decided to start with walking as my arm hurts too much to control my bike (I'm waiting on an op)
I'm just over 3 miles from work now so will drive to work one day and walk back then the next day walk to work then drive back with the aim being to walk there and back eventually, until I can cycle again. So come on sunshine let's be having you again so I can kick start my booty shaking again :)

Happy Monday everyone xx

Back