• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Banding on NHS in the North West

charliegirl

I recently requested my GP refer me for gastric banding on the NHS. This he did just over a week ago. I have searched everywhere for information as to what happens when that letter is sent. Prior to the letter being sent I spoke to the GP's secretary about the reasons I wanted this surgery and she told me depending on what he put in his letter she could add on any points that he had left out. I felt reassured by this but having seen the very brief letter that she has sent my heart sank.

I have today spoken directly to the PCT office and she has given me some valuable information that I want to pass on.

Depending on what is in the letter it goes to one of two places for action. If there is enough information from a clinical point of view it goes direct to the PCT panel and they sit every two weeks. If the information is a bit vague, they do not dismiss it but they go through your medical records and research further as to why it would be beneficial. This can take 8-10 weeks to complete.

You can send a letter from yourself, stating the reasons you are requesting the surgery and how you feel you would benefit from it. That has to go to the commissioning panel. (the ones that take longer to decide).

I know whatever happens I have a long road ahead of me and feel that despite the fact I have tried WW and Slimmingworld to no avail I need to do something positive now to stop the weight increase I am currently getting. There is no guarantee that I will get the banding on the NHS and once I have sent off my letter with my reasons on I need to knuckle down and stop eating.... :(

Good luck Charliegirl, just take it one day at a time and see what happens. Write a long detailed letter giving all the reasons why you want the op to support your application and hopefully that will sway the panel for you x

Thanks Aliscat, I have already done the letter and its in an envelope ready to post. Found some more help by searching commissioning panel documents, it explains what they do and the whole appeals process, where you get a chance to meet the panel as well. Feel a bit more positive with that. I just think when you call these places up they should be a bit more helpful, the woman was very off hand and I had to drag the information out of her....

Its great that you are being so proactive Charliegirl, you obviously have the right attitude for all this.

It sounds like you may get a decision very quickly then, depending on which route the PCT takes. Either way its not really a long wait.

Just keep the end in sight and remember your reasons for doing this, it can be easy to lose your perspective along the way!

Thanks Shelbell, its reassuring to know they dont just take the GP's letter but dig further to get the whole picture. Think it would save time though if the GP had put a lot more information into the letter in the first place. At least I now know either 2 weeks or 10. I feel if it was a request for a different type of operation the woman at the PCT might have been more helpful. Yet again it's the attitude that some have that if you eat less the weight falls off, and I know that just does not happen in some cases....thanks for the support will keep you posted...

Hi Charlie girl.....

Great to see you are being assertive, and I imagine alot of people will find your info very helpful...

Oraying and thinking of you all the best

Mandy

Thanks Mandy, I don't feel confident though, I know I would be in an appeal situation. I want to put a face to the request instead of being a piece of paper with a few lines on from the GP. Will keep everyone posted and update with any further info I can find.

Thanks for the support

Hi Charliegirl
I was referred by my GP to a PS for a Tummy Tuck on the 24/5/8, I gave him a letter from me to give him to and he also applied to the PCT for funding and also sent a copy of my letter to them, I saw my PS on the 6/6/8 who then said I need this operation on medical grounds due to continuous infections inbetween the folds of my apron flap also my abd muscles are extremly weakend due to 3 casaerians sections. I then rang my PCT and asked when their next meeting is, ours meet monthly, they met on 19/6/8 and needed more info so decided to wait 3mths but I was so distraught I rang the PCT and asked them what they needed to make a decision, they wanted conformation my from my GP saying that my infections aren't a one off. I rang my GP's secretary that same day and my GP faxed another letter stating this as did I stating what the mediacl benefits of having the surgery would be the PCT said a decision would be made 23/6/8.
the PCT rang me and yes I have got full funding, I have also got a date for my op which is 9/9/8 which in all has only taken 16weeks for my GP referral which brings me into the 18wk ruling
www.18weeks.nhs.uk
I hope you aren't waiting too long and I hope that your area is in the 18wk ruling
Take care
Katrina xx

Hi trinaweena

Wow I am so pleased for you, you must be very happy now. Thanks for your message I have looked at the link you provided and my NHS is within the 18 week rule. I feel very down today, I want to ask the woman at the PCT more information but felt rushed by her. I wanted to clarify the criteria as it said 30-40 bmi with something like hypertension but some say its 35 (I am 35.6). I know there is nothing else to do but wait but it is extremely hard. :(

Hi Charliegirl,
I would give the PCT a ring back, she is there to help. My PCT lady was brilliant and some days I rang her upto 4 times a day asking quesions and she did't seem to mind a bit.
The waiting drives you mad, do you know when their next meeting is?
If youu haven't sent any letters to support your claim then send some in, it says on the PCT guidelines that your own personnal letters to them don't count but they DO as my 4 letters proved it plus a very supportive GP.
I really hope you have good news soon, fingers crossed and toes crossed for you,
Take care and let me know how you get on
Karina xxx

Hi Trinaweena

I have just got off the phone to the PCT much nicer lady but she could not answer any questions, kept saying she did not know. I asked when the next meeting was, she did not know. She did say however, that they may only look at 10 referrals that time as they get so many and may leave the others to the next meeting. Asked her the criteria (just to confirm what I already knew) she said she did not know. She could, however, tell me that Chorley hospital are applying to have the right to carry out the op as in my area there are no hospitals that do it. She said it was on the increase. I warned her I would be recalling on many occasions and she laughed, a friendly laugh mind you.....thanks again for the support I feel like crying today, I have been stuck in the house for three days due to a migraine and now I dont want to go out, I have to go to work at 6pm and I really dont want to be there amongst the stick think ones who think if your fat and over 40 there is no hope....:(

OH Charilegirl..... I knwo just how you feel about feelign down, I am very much on a bumpy rollercoaster at the moment!!!!!!!!!! never seems to end.......

Please try to be patient, we are all here with you and supporting you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Mandy, do you want to tell me about your roller coaster ride, I know you have probably covered it on here but I am only newish to the site. I would like to be able to offer my support to you and anyone else that needs it, albeit I am down now I wont be for ever......

Just on my way to work, I have black jeans and a short sleeved top on and I am sweating like mad already. When I get into work the heating will be on to keep warm the skinny ones in there. I cannot breath I feel so hot due to the extra weight I carry, I wish with all my heart I could stop eating....

Hi Charliegirl
Please don't give up, I know how you feel and it's not nice.
Be strong and I'm sure everything will work out just great for you.
I don't understand how this woman does not know when the next PCT meeting is when she works there, I'd try again on tuesday/wednesday, keep bugging them.You can go on your local PCT's website and they should have a list up of their next meetings or maybe wait until tomorrow and have alook then with it been a new month. I hope this helps. Just because your not a skinny person does not mean your not a beautiful person which you are, So chin up,be strong and think postive.
Take care Karina xxx

Thank you so much for your support, I will call them again. I have been sat in work feeling very miserable, they are all talking about a night out they had on saturday and I was unable to go due to migraine but to be honest I probably would not of gone due to being over weight and nothing fitting. Having a really down day maybe tomorrow will be better. Linda x

After a few hours sleep I am feeling a lot more positive. If they say no I wont go away I will keep on pestering them. Guess my roller coaster is on the way.... :)

just take it all one day at a time, tis the only way:)

Back