• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Banding on NHS in the North West

Hi Charliegirl
I'm so pleased that you are finally getting somewhere!!!!

:girlpower::girlpower:

Perseverance does pay off in the end. I know:):):):).
Keep us updated, I know that you said you aren't ringing the PCT but if you don't know the date of their next meeting I would give hem a ring to find out, that way you could find out their decision that date instead of waiting and not knowing.

take care
Katrina xxx

the way I see it Linda is that yes this forum is great and there are some tremendously positive supportive people here but at the end of the day it comes down to the individual and whether they have the chutzpah for the fight or they are going to roll over and play dead at the first obstacle. You have chutzpah by the bucketload which is why you're going to succeed and make this happen.

Ah thanks so much for those comments if I can be of help to anyone either just morale support or finding out answers I hope people will get in touch...it does help so much when people are not against you even my friend who was putting me off at first now understands my reasons and my determination and is supporting me and even looking into doing something about her weight....we have to keep positive.... ((hugs))

Hi Charliegirl
I'm so pleased that you are finally getting somewhere!!!!

:girlpower::girlpower:

Perseverance does pay off in the end. I know:):):):).
Keep us updated, I know that you said you aren't ringing the PCT but if you don't know the date of their next meeting I would give hem a ring to find out, that way you could find out their decision that date instead of waiting and not knowing.

take care
Katrina xxx

Girl power indeed lol....we know what we want and we wont stop till we get it lol....xx

I have been in work today and no one in there knows anything about my referral or my desire to have banding so it came as quite a shock to have one of my colleaques who I dont work with very often say she had a dream about me last night and in it I was finishing work to go into hospital for an operation! I nearly fell through the floor!! She said we were all wishing you good luck and off you went! How very spooky is that lol.....I hope its a good omen...... night night folks I am off to bed two days off coming up and I am so looking forward to some rest.... xx

How spooky!! Fingers crossed your colleagues dream comes true for you nice and quickly Linda xx

definate omen Linda :) I firmly believe in dreams, and this ones going to come true!

Hi Shelbell and Alliecat, I sure hope it comes true, told her to go asleep and dream some more lol.......it sure gave me a positive spin xx

Hi Charliegirl,
I too have asked my gp for a band, and my god so quick, he rung the PCT (or receptionist did) on 1st July, and the lady who deals with the funding was on holiday, so had to wait a week, and up here in scunthorpe they have there meetings once a month.
Then last thursday 10th july my Gp receptionist again rung me and asked me to go in and see my doctor.... and im just waiting now for an appointment from Hull, we tried to book it online for choose n stay but they needed to write a refferal letter to hull... so sitting and waiting really..........i just cant believe how long it didnt take, surely something must go wrong lolllll

Hi Charliegirl,
I too have asked my gp for a band, and my god so quick, he rung the PCT (or receptionist did) on 1st July, and the lady who deals with the funding was on holiday, so had to wait a week, and up here in scunthorpe they have there meetings once a month.
Then last thursday 10th july my Gp receptionist again rung me and asked me to go in and see my doctor.... and im just waiting now for an appointment from Hull, we tried to book it online for choose n stay but they needed to write a refferal letter to hull... so sitting and waiting really..........i just cant believe how long it didnt take, surely something must go wrong lolllll

Hi Debi you need to think positive, have they confirmed your funding its not clear from your post? Its amazing how things change from area to area, def post code lottary.....and remember if your PCT is covered by the 18 week rule (check BOPSA) you will have to have your appointment within 18 weeks of your GP's referral! Keep us posted....well done...((Hugs))

Hi Linda,

How are things going? Any news for us?

Debi, sounds promising! Some areas seem to move extremely quickly.

Hi Linda,

How are things going? Any news for us?

Debi, sounds promising! Some areas seem to move extremely quickly.

Hi Shelbell have done an update on another thread (not sure how I am suppose to answer etc on this new to forums) but I should have my appointment for Hope bariatric clinic mid august got the pot to piddle in and the forms for blood tests which are being done by my GP on tuesday so the results will be ready when I go. I have researched and found my terrible headaches and migraines could be as a result of the weight gain (another stick to beat the PCT with) Whilst I think they will probably say I am not heavy enough (I do meet the criteria) I have lots of other things to back up my request and I certainly wont take things laying down I will always fight for what I believe in and I think I am an ideal candidate. I eat healthy just too much.....keep me posted how things are going for you....if you want to email direct for a better chat you can catch me on [email protected] wait to see less of you if you know what I mean.....lol... xx

I recently requested my GP refer me for gastric banding on the NHS. This he did just over a week ago. I have searched everywhere for information as to what happens when that letter is sent. Prior to the letter being sent I spoke to the GP's secretary about the reasons I wanted this surgery and she told me depending on what he put in his letter she could add on any points that he had left out. I felt reassured by this but having seen the very brief letter that she has sent my heart sank.

I have today spoken directly to the PCT office and she has given me some valuable information that I want to pass on.

Depending on what is in the letter it goes to one of two places for action. If there is enough information from a clinical point of view it goes direct to the PCT panel and they sit every two weeks. If the information is a bit vague, they do not dismiss it but they go through your medical records and research further as to why it would be beneficial. This can take 8-10 weeks to complete.

You can send a letter from yourself, stating the reasons you are requesting the surgery and how you feel you would benefit from it. That has to go to the commissioning panel. (the ones that take longer to decide).

I know whatever happens I have a long road ahead of me and feel that despite the fact I have tried WW and Slimmingworld to no avail I need to do something positive now to stop the weight increase I am currently getting. There is no guarantee that I will get the banding on the NHS and once I have sent off my letter with my reasons on I need to knuckle down and stop eating.... :(
Hi I went to my GP in Bury Manchester just after xmas. My funding was approved by Feb and I had my op done at manchester Royal Infirmary at the end of May. The process was alot quicker than i expected. I'm sure you will hear soon and keep positive x

Hi I went to my GP in Bury Manchester just after xmas. My funding was approved by Feb and I had my op done at manchester Royal Infirmary at the end of May. The process was alot quicker than i expected. I'm sure you will hear soon and keep positive x

Thanks Tammy, I am feeling a bit down today, I can manage better at home its when I go to work and look like a sack of spuds in what I wear. It does not help the majority of woman I work with are all very competitive and want to be the thinnest in the room. I smile and get on with it but its tough at times. Tell me more about your referral, did you have any underlying health problems etc. Did you have to attend the bariatric clinic in Hope at all? Sorry so many questions I feel the need to clutch at straws today...

hiya peeps,

well yes funding has been approved, i have no idea how these things work, doc sent a referral letter to hull, now ive just got to sit back and weight, its been 10 days now..........

hiya peeps,

well yes funding has been approved, i have no idea how these things work, doc sent a referral letter to hull, now ive just got to sit back and weight, its been 10 days now..........

If your anything like me you will be very inpatient lol.....I feel everyday takes an enternity......not sure if that was a pun in your message (weight/wait) if not it shows whats on your mind right now lol....Linda x

Debi and Linda - your time will come. It is very frustrating when you are waiting and you see others going for their ops - because of the nature of the forum with new members joining all the time, that is just the nature of the beast and has happened to us all so I can really sympathise. However, your times will come and we will all be there supporting you and advising you just as you will already be helping other forum 'lurkers' by letting them know about your progress along the way. Stick with it ladies, it will be well worth the wait x

Hi Alliecat what a lovely profile photo you have......I am not feeling as positive today I know it will return though so not too worried. Have started collecting my wee in the large pot for hope hospital and would you believe I normally go every five minutes and I have been once since breakfast......I have been ironing so now very thirsty so drinking more....its always the way when you want something....lol...Linda x

Hi charliegirl,
I hope you are feeling better today.
Have you found out the date when the PCT meeting will be in August, then at least you can know on the day what their decision is?????
I notice debi71 lives in my area which is in Hull, it seems that the PCT here seem alot fairer than most areas. congratulations Deb on your funding I'm having my FTT on the 9th sept on the NHS.
Your funding will be approved, if not at first then you know that you can appeal.
Chin up misses and be strong, we are all here for you xxxxxxx
Take care
Trina xxxxx

Hi charliegirl,
I hope you are feeling better today.
Have you found out the date when the PCT meeting will be in August, then at least you can know on the day what their decision is?????
I notice debi71 lives in my area which is in Hull, it seems that the PCT here seem alot fairer than most areas. congratulations Deb on your funding I'm having my FTT on the 9th sept on the NHS.
Your funding will be approved, if not at first then you know that you can appeal.
Chin up misses and be strong, we are all here for you xxxxxxx
Take care
Trina xxxxx

Hi trina

I am sure I will be back to my usual positive self in a day or two. Throwing myself into cleaning the house to take my mind of things. I suppose once I have seen Dr New at Hope I will have a much better idea of what is going to happen and if not a banding option what they are prepared to do for me. Yet another so called "friend" said "I hope your not getting your hopes up"....I nearly started crying when I was explaining how it makes me feel but refused to let him know it had got to me. Saying that years ago when I weighed a mere 8st 10lb and put on a few pound taking me up to 9st he said it did not suit me and to lose it again!!! I am 5'7" by the way......luckily I dont speak to him very often....Linda x

Back