• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Biggest loser

I love the biggest loser. I always watch it and cry cause I'm the same weight as several of them. I have friends who say, see, you could just exercise and lose weight. You don't have to do surgery..... Of course, they don't get it. I almost applied to be on there, but couldn't take that much time off work. I will be watching this year in a totally different frame of mind.

When I was losing before, I used to ride my recumbent bike while I watched and I could go much further.... Maybe I'll try that again!

Biggest Loser huge weight losses at first weigh in

btw, I heard that the first weigh in is not always exactly 7 days after their first weigh in, because:

1. Their starting weights from which all their future weight losses are compared were taken at HOME with their family -- this is probably a few days before the programme begins (the TV company and researchers have to travel up and down the country / all over the UK and Ireland).

3. There might actually be 10 days between their initial weigh in and their first weigh in on the Biggest Loser scales in the studio.

Any contestant who is sharp has an extra few days to start guzzling loads of water / low carbing BEFORE they reach the venue, to shift 10 lbs of glycogen before the programme starts (altho choosing to lose all your glycogen immediately before the show would make attempting the first 5K / 3 mile jog extremely difficult! -- altho for all those who did not do that before reaching "fat camp" they will lose their glycogen stores v.v.v. quickly and also be exercising without glycogen stores from about Day 2 onwards anyway !!!).

I know the biggest loss (of the formerly 32 stone man) of just over 2 stone (was it 2 stone 2 lbs or 2 stone 3 lbs?) looks unbelievable but ....

** Back in mid-2008 i did a VLCD and i did it 100% properly (to start with!) because I had never done one before. After 3 days I had lost 16 lbs (of pure glycogen and water) and after 7 days the scales said I had lost 21 lbs (one and a half stone).

** Therefore I am sure it is technically possible for a man of 32 stone (10 stone above where I was when I started the VLCD) to lose a small amount of fat, plus LOADS of glycogen and water totalling approx 30 lbs.

Obviously for me the VLCD only led to temporary loss followed by the usual, predictable "regain" and not long term change, and I do wonder whether this show promotes "healthy" change or even more fixation (for everyone of all weights -- WLS peeps and non WLS peeps) on extreme crash dieting / mad frantic exercising?

I love this show! I actually applied to be on it. But, chickened out. Lol So sad about Angie.

Sharonimo said:
btw, I heard that the first weigh in is not always exactly 7 days after their first weigh in, because:

1. Their starting weights from which all their future weight losses are compared were taken at HOME with their family -- this is probably a few days before the programme begins (the TV company and researchers have to travel up and down the country / all over the UK and Ireland).

3. There might actually be 10 days between their initial weigh in and their first weigh in on the Biggest Loser scales in the studio.

Any contestant who is sharp has an extra few days to start guzzling loads of water / low carbing BEFORE they reach the venue, to shift 10 lbs of glycogen before the programme starts (altho choosing to lose all your glycogen immediately before the show would make attempting the first 5K / 3 mile jog extremely difficult! -- altho for all those who did not do that before reaching "fat camp" they will lose their glycogen stores v.v.v. quickly and also be exercising without glycogen stores from about Day 2 onwards anyway !!!).

I know the biggest loss (of the formerly 32 stone man) of just over 2 stone (was it 2 stone 2 lbs or 2 stone 3 lbs?) looks unbelievable but ....

** Back in mid-2008 i did a VLCD and i did it 100% properly (to start with!) because I had never done one before. After 3 days I had lost 16 lbs (of pure glycogen and water) and after 7 days the scales said I had lost 21 lbs (one and a half stone).

** Therefore I am sure it is technically possible for a man of 32 stone (10 stone above where I was when I started the VLCD) to lose a small amount of fat, plus LOADS of glycogen and water totalling approx 30 lbs.

Obviously for me the VLCD only led to temporary loss followed by the usual, predictable "regain" and not long term change, and I do wonder whether this show promotes "healthy" change or even more fixation (for everyone of all weights -- WLS peeps and non WLS peeps) on extreme crash dieting / mad frantic exercising?

It's so true all wat uv wrote thanks for sharing it deffo don't promote healthy change and I wonder how many ppl keep it up wen they r bk home? X

Newmelani said:
When I was losing before, I used to ride my recumbent bike while I watched and I could go much further.... Maybe I'll try that again!

That's a great idea x

Newmelani said:
I love the biggest loser. I always watch it and cry cause I'm the same weight as several of them. I have friends who say, see, you could just exercise and lose weight. You don't have to do surgery..... Of course, they don't get it. I almost applied to be on there, but couldn't take that much time off work. I will be watching this year in a totally different frame of mind.

I was always much heavier than most of them at a weight of almost 25 stone it's nice to wat h it this yr not being that weight but still makes me cry cus I can feel there pain and relate to how they must feel xx

Miss hungry said:
Mmmm I do watch the program as I love to watch weightloss stuff, however there are some things that really bug me.
Why do the women have to wear those awful tops showing their tummys?
Surely this is crash dieting?
Why do aliminate them so fast? #can't they all do a month first?
Making them do a 5k run right at the start seems very unfair, they are not used to doing exercise, and then get shouted at by the trainers for stopping.
Also, the trainers have got no idea how it feels to be carrying so much extra weight and should ease them in slowly, like some one else said..making them work out till they puke or faint can't be good for you!
Having said all that, I will keep watching!

Totally agree it would make sense for them all to do a month first at least they would all then receive the help the so desperately need, them tops r vile wat a shame for the women having to wear them im sure a tshirt would b much better.... And yes they should break them in gradually that must of been a killer that run x

Laura b said:
Totally agree it would make sense for them all to do a month first at least they would all then receive the help the so desperately need, them tops r vile wat a shame for the women having to wear them im sure a tshirt would b much better.... And yes they should break them in gradually that must of been a killer that run x

I agree that those tops are vile and a bit cruel, BUT, if someone had videoed me wearing one of those at 13 or 14 stone, the reality check would've probably made me do something a lot sooner than hitting 23.5stone!
xXx

so they humiliate them, torture them, then send them home to put it all back on! :confused:

Louanne79 said:
I agree that those tops are vile and a bit cruel, BUT, if someone had videoed me wearing one of those at 13 or 14 stone, the reality check would've probably made me do something a lot sooner than hitting 23.5stone!
xXx

Yea that's true xx

The Chopster said:
I'm not keen on the uk version but live the US one. Does anyone know when the new series of that starts? Did anyone see the show on Sky One last night called Obese - a year to change my life or something. The woman on it lost 9 stones in a year and was running 5k when about 16 stone. The American guy on it was absolutely gorgeous ;)

Today, the us version starts today :)

I an in tears watching this week episode!!! :'(

miserable said:
I an in tears watching this week episode!!! :'(

Iv missed a bit as was getting me Jim jams on and was ob here lol gonna watch it now xx

They were telling them their body age and life expectancy....

I love Davina

Fat fighters is far better !! they treat them as humans and give tips for at home to.

Last edited:
miserable said:
They were telling them their body age and life expectancy....

Aww I seen the old women's one :-( shame but I'm sure it's the shock they need x

Back