• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

bypass in brussels anyone??

lizzie0310

Hi all, im thinking of settling on WLS Group for bypass and going to brussels for the op because of the cost....anyone have any experiences of this company/brussels/bypass theyd like to share....its a scary road to go down on your own!

liz x

I went to Belgium through them for a band. It wasn't put in the right place so I needed a new operation when it didn't work.

Why there? Are you willing to go there for your 5 week check-up, your 3 month check-up, your 8 month check-up, and the 1 year check-up, plus the annual check-ups after. Suppose they need to keep you in as a inpatient in any of those check-ups. If you have to go privately, stay in the UK.

thanks for all your replies, i really appreciate it x

Why there? Are you willing to go there for your 5 week check-up, your 3 month check-up, your 8 month check-up, and the 1 year check-up, plus the annual check-ups after. Suppose they need to keep you in as a inpatient in any of those check-ups. If you have to go privately, stay in the UK.

i decided on brussels purely for the price and WLS group as they felt right to me after looking at so many places. i never thought about all the aftercare visits to be honest and thats quite a scary thing! need to keep thinking on it and keep researching, thanks for that little eye opener.
ps OMG AT YOUR WEIGHT LOSS AND ON YOUR OWN TOO!! WELL DONE YOU!!! IM SO IMPRESSED AND INSPIRED, so much so i might give it a try myself, what do you makeup your 1800 cals from in a day? im such an emotional eater its hard to control myself but if i could i think id be sorted! would love to hear more about your journey x

Hi there again...

I read that you are an emotional eater...this will still be there after the surgery, so you need to address these issues before you undergo any WLS.

The emotional eating thing can cause failure of the surgery to work long term.

I saw a therapist to help me deal with emotions over a 10 week course. I have it 99 percent under control, as now if I think I need to turn to food I find something else or have a cup of tea instead.

As for money, you get what you pay for in this world, if you are seeking this surgery privately, get the very best care you can even it it costs a little more.

Your health and well being is not worth a bargain bucket surgery abroad just for the sake of saving a few bob.

You want to be here for your kids, to give them more of you so please then invest in the best and get all your emotional issues sorted before you go under the knife. That way you will be better placed to succeed.

I wish you luck on your journey and in the meantime while you are thinking and mulling it over, see your GP again and find out if you could get funding...the waiting times you have been given are the longest wait scenario. It might be quicker.

Hi Liz

With WLS Group if you have your op abroad you still get UK aftercare. I have just double checked on their website but it might be worth checking with them that this is the case.

Good luck x

thanks caz, im definatley going to see my GP again, she was very helpful. Ive spoken to the WLS group and brussels surgery is £1000 cheaper than uk but i would still need to get flights myself so thats another 300+ so in reality its only a difference give or take of 600. im not going to let the cost be a factor because of this now. i was told the main reason people go there is to escape the MRSA here! one of my friends had a sleeve done here last jan and she contracted C-DIFF and was very ill. and youre right about my head, it def needs sorting for the emotional eating and wls group do this as part of the aftercare. the next consultation apps are in march so ive time to think about it more. thanks for your help x

Hi Liz

With WLS Group if you have your op abroad you still get UK aftercare. I have just double checked on their website but it might be worth checking with them that this is the case.

Good luck x

thanks for that, i just rang them and your right, the aftercare is all in the uk and its all included in the inital cost for 3 years. it seems like the perfect package. im seriously thinking about sigining up for the next consultation date in march. thanks for your help mazza x

Hi
Yes the aftercare is definitely in the UK, you will see Wendy. The clinics are located at London Newcastle Glasgow Dublin Leeds Cardiff Sheffield Belfast Birmingham Preston.

Please make sure you seriously think about the travelling after surgery. I was bad enough travelling from Rochdale to Carlisle in a car after sugery, never mind anything more than that!

Rx

Hi
Yes the aftercare is definitely in the UK, you will see Wendy. The clinics are located at London Newcastle Glasgow Dublin Leeds Cardiff Sheffield Belfast Birmingham Preston.

Please make sure you seriously think about the travelling after surgery. I was bad enough travelling from Rochdale to Carlisle in a car after sugery, never mind anything more than that!

Rx

thanks for that rose, i can only imagine the state i would be in after a bypass, i mean its a pretty big op, so id imagine id still be pretty sore and uncomfortable afterwards. your in hosp for 3 days then OOT the door and home for a taxi, 1 hour 40 min plane ride, then car for 40 mins......OUCH!!

how was the whole process for you?

Have you thought about the NHS? Yes, you have to wait a little longer but at least they will be there afterwards if you need them.

I had mine done at Charing Cross Hospital in London and the team there actually do it privately as well. I highly recomend them. Here is a link to their site if you wish to check it out.

Obesity Surgery | Bariatric Surgery | Weight Management | Our Team

The surgeon that did my op doesnt do it privately but the other surgeons at Charing Cross do.

Back