• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Day 5 and feeling better

Babynurse

Day two post op pain

Hi, well I'm now day 2 post banding and although I'm moving around more whilst at home, I'm in a lot of discomfort around my port site. Also getting wind pain so having peppermint tea and the occasional swig of gripe water - horrid!

I assume the pain is to be expected but I'm hopefully going to see my GP later today before the surgery closes for Easter.

I'm having fluids throughout the day, occasional warm drink, fruit smoothies and yogurt but taking it very slowly.

Any help in these early days would be great.

Still being pre op i'm not going to be much help i'm afraid... but good luck & i'm sure your soreness will be just a memory by the time i join you on the losers bench next week xx

9 days sleeved post op
The best advice I can give is that it gets more manageable, each day I wake up stronger and in less pain!
The pain for me was extenuating - take as much pain relieve as you need. Best ones for me are the Voltarol dispersible.
As I type this I'm in the surgery waiting for a top up of pain meds to see me through back to work next week.

Hi Hunni your doing just great :) the pain is to be expected and gets easier by the day. The first few nights i slept propped up to save pulling my tum too much. During day i also sat with cushions propping me, take your pain meds to help, which will help with the wind pain too...... of course its good to get moving but don't forget you've just had major surgery so rest also needed :) i was 4 weeks post op before i started to feel back to some-sort of normal and fully normal by 8 weeks..... of course everyone is different lol listen to your body would be my best advise :) give yourself what you need, plenty of fluids, i found warm ones the best. I was recommended mint tea by other here, but when i spoke to the nurse about a week post op she recommended no mint tea .... because it frees the wind BUT the wind had nowhere to escape lol so i just chewed windeze and was much better after a few days although one night i was in sheer pain with wind, only pain meds and hot water bottle helped. keep moving if you can........ fluids important to help with healing also helps bith the bm's :) everyday u will feel better and better.......... its just a matter of time x x x keep posting the company will help too x x x

Thanks for the messages, the pain seems to have gone into my lower back so my husband has just collected a prescription from my GP for medication that will help with spasms and wind. Is Actimel any good to take? I've only had a yogurt this morning, tried some smoothie but didn't feel good so stopped taking it. I'm sure I'll feel better when this wind pain goes.

Not sure on the Actimel hunni. Are you on just fluids to start with? i don't do dairy due to a slight intolerance , so i stuck to hot NAS squash which went down really well :)

My provider advises yogurt watered down on the liquid / 1st stage. Personally i dont rate actimel but if you do get it go sugar free. I take probiotics on capsules cuz they're much stronger & you can open the capsules to avoid swallowing a capsule at this stage

image-4282382600.jpg

Hi, I'm awake at 4am again for the 2nd time. Strange this wind pain - it's in the side of my nose! Must be where the sinus cavities are. My GP gave me some Kolanticon Gel oral suspension which helps with muscle spasm and wind. Apparently it brings together all the small bubbles of gas to form a large bubble which can be expelled. Better warn the family!!

I'm going to try the warm squash today and have put milk with my yogurt. Read somewhere about having milk fortified with Marvel to increase the protein.

Just going back to bed now - I'll update later.

Could you chew a windeze? It shifted mine, my pain was in my left shoulder and it was awful. The port area is always a little more painful as the incision is larger and the port is stitched to a muscle.
You are doing really well and I promise this wind pain will move and you will feel great really soon. It is horrible to suffer with x

ugh hunni hope your feeling a little brighter this morning :) i remember being up thru the night with wind............. everything thru the wee hours always seems soooo much worse too. Sending over some virtual hugs x x x get some windeze it helped me too one after every meal and one before bed lol a couple of days i was right.......... oh and don't forget the hot bot on your back :) I don't think all the sipping of fluids helps much either cos your taking in wind all the time too, i started off drinking from a sippy bottle but am sure it made matters worse. Trust me it does get easier soon x x x

I think you're right about the sippy bottle Crystalrainbow, so I'm just going to have a glass of squash, water etc instead. I'm having a chicken cup a soup just now first one so I'll see how I cope with it.

Fluids should be just fine hunni just take it slowly sip sip sip :) I was straight on sloppy foods from hospital............. but all hospitals have different advise, so as long as you follow their guidelines you'll be grand :) x x x

I find rocking back n forth works for my wind makes me burp a Goodun I also prefer warm liquids but am alternating between them and and water

Thank goodness - I feel I have turned a corner! Last night the pain in my left shoulder was so bad I was crying out in pain. My husband wanted to take me to Urgent Care but I told him they couldn't do anything. Anyway, I managed to prop myself up with pillows and even moved onto my left side which had been painful previously.

My husband is such a great support and he has even stopped smoking since Friday. He is also losing weight so everything is looking good.

Easter Sunday but no chocolate here!! Happy Easter everyone x:)

Happy Easter! Glad you are feeling a lot better. I've been following your journey so far. Looking forward to joining you post op on Friday!

Pleased to hear hunni :) it will get better and better daily. Just remember this day and compare next weekend it will be even better!!! To begin with i really regretted having the op because of the pain and discomfort, the daily merry go round of meds, fluids, preparing food, sieving and whizzing ugh it was a nightmare BUT everyday it got better and better and now 9 weeks on i wouldn't change it for the world :) Hubby is bound to be worried too, i managed to hide my fears from him because i didn't need him wishing i'd not had surgery as well as my own regrets lol x x x x x x have a fantastic Easter Sunday enjoy some sunshine :)

I know I am lucky and I appreciate him so much. We are both second time around and have been together 19 years with one 15 year old son. I also have two older boys who live with their partners. My husband has spent all morning cleaning the house to keep him busy and hopefully not crave the nicotine. The pain has returned in my left shoulder so I have a warm pack on and hopefully a chemist will be open to buy some windeze as this is the only thing I haven't tried. If I didn't have this shoulder pain, I'd say I was 95% back to normal.

Just a question about work - how long would anyone recommend I be off work? I am a hospital based midwife so can be very busy so thinking I might just have an extra week off and go back the beginning of May.

LOL me and hubby also second-time a rounders lol hes just the same..... does everything for me given the chance lol :) we gave up using champix from the gp that was fantastic and stopped all cravings, although it made me sick towards the end of the course. deffo try the windeze i always carry some with me now just in case :) Regarding work if you can get the time off without problems.... i would........ i am a complete wimp and really didn't feel right until 4 weeks but some go back after a week or 2. If you have to go back before your back on solids just take it easy as the low cals will leave u tired. I think you'll know quite quick how your doing.......... x

Back