• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Day of surgery and your other half?

Jen1961

Is on her way!
Please can anyone advice what is the protocol regarding your other half on the day of your surgery?

Like everyone else I have been asked to go into hospital the afternoon prior to my surgery scheduled for the following day. Now my husband has said he will be coming into hospital on the day of my surgery so he will be there when I come out of surgery but Im not sure this will be acceptable to the ward staff and if I actually want him there all day anyway :sigh:!!

I know all hospitals will have different visiting policies but what's the general feel and what have any post oppers experienced please?

:confused:

Firstly it would be best to ask the hospital wether he will be allowed to stay, then if he is allowed you can decide what you prefer.

My surgeon insisted that I stayed in recovery for 2 hours (no visitors there) and then 24hrs on HDU limited visiting and that was in a private hospital so unsure what NHS might do.

I was very tired and not really up to visitors. My husband came with my little girl about 6pm - I went into surgery at 1230, 2 hour op- he only stayed 20 mins and that was enough.

Hope that helps, but do what you feel is right for you:):)

The ward told my hubby to call in the afternoon to see how I was following my morning surgery, and at that point they let him know if I was up for visitors. There were no exceptions made to visiting hours for him though, even though they were 3-4pm and 7-8pm and it was a 60 mile round trip for him!
Best to speak to the ward on admission.
xXx

Thanks for posting this! Why is it that people keep asking relevant questions that I need to know but just don't think of for myself? It will be an 80 mile round trip for my hubby. I have actually been on the web site for Derby hospital, and they have all the visiting times for the wards and departments, and other bits of useful info as well, for both patients and visitors. Maybe your hospital has it's own website too??

Thanks for your posts ladies. I will speak to my ward to see what their policy is and I'm sure it will be best for just a quick visit following my procedure just to put his mind at rest I'm ok. I know I won't be in any state to want to have a lengthy visit.

My surgical team telephoned my hubby to let him know that everything had gone ok. Perhaps they would do this for you once they have finished their theatre list and this way he would know that things are ok and then be able to come up a visiting time as normal and give you some time to come round. The first day following your surgery you are not really up to many visitors as you are in and out of sleepy mode for quite some time. :D I woke up a few times to people stood at the bottom of my bed, one of which was my surgeon who said "Hello, welcome to the land of the living, how ya doing?" Bless him. :D

im going to ban my wife from visiting me it's a 140 mile round trip there no point driving all that way to see me if im not up for it im going in on the afternoon b4 and out by 3 days later

They let my husband stay with me right into the theatre prep room, then he was told which ward I would be taken to, and was allowed to sit in the day room to wait for me - after he came back from grabbing a little lunch for himself. So he was allowed all day basically from 7 am til about 8.30 at night. :)

My wife is a nurse, so she cannot abide hospitals!! If I had had a prolonged stay, I had arranged for one of my staff to bring her, but as it was I left home at 6:00AM on the Thursday morning and was back home by 2:30PM next day.

The evening after surgery I was drifting in and out of it, so would not have been much for the sparkling repartee and wit, and was up and dressed ready to go home by 10:00 next morning.

So unless your significant other has some driving need to be there, I would suggest leaving them at home unless you are going to be in for a while. Both I and my wife were much the happier that way.

HTH

Chris

My hospital had unrestricted visiting so as I went in the evening before surgery, my hubby stayed with me until 10pm & I asked him not to come in the next morning as I needed to hold myself together & also I was second on the list. The HDU nurse rang him when I came out of theatre & he & my son & daughter came at 6pm but after 1 hour I could not keep my eyes open so they left to let me rest. Next day I was fully awake so he stayed all day & I came home the next morning. :) But ... all hospitals are different as are people. Good luck for tomorrow, Jen honey xxx :):):)

I think i would do same as twinkle ask him to stay as late as possible day before then miss surgery day and come next day :) it's 140 mile round trip so really don't think fair for him to come to see me snoring (again) plus will be in hdu overnight xx

Back