• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

December 2015 Surgeries

Thanks summer, how are u doing on the liquids over Xmas? I'm going to try and make some soup with the turkey and veg lol xx

Oooh that sounds delicious! I've got no appetite whatsoever so I'm doing okay on liquids. However, I'm still feeling ill so not looking forward to today, I really hope once I start eating solids that all this dizziness and nausea goes away! I think I'll be having a lamb and veg soup that my mum made yesterday, so that'll be nice. Are you feeling any better?

Oooh that sounds delicious! I've got no appetite whatsoever so I'm doing okay on liquids. However, I'm still feeling ill so not looking forward to today, I really hope once I start eating solids that all this dizziness and nausea goes away! I think I'll be having a lamb and veg soup that my mum made yesterday, so that'll be nice. Are you feeling any better?

I'm feeling a lot better when I'm sat or lay still but once I begin to move then I feel like I've done 10 rounds with Mike Tyson! Haha, just glad to be going home, I've had no appetite either which is good, only had 4 spoons of clear soup yesterday and that's all the food I've had since my op Monday! Can't wait to see the numbers on the scales going down haha xx

Merry Christmas everyone, so pleased you are on the mend caz and have made it home for Xmas xxx

I'm feeling a lot better when I'm sat or lay still but once I begin to move then I feel like I've done 10 rounds with Mike Tyson! Haha, just glad to be going home, I've had no appetite either which is good, only had 4 spoons of clear soup yesterday and that's all the food I've had since my op Monday! Can't wait to see the numbers on the scales going down haha xx

Don't weigh just yet... They've given you lots of fluid through iv and chances are it hasn't all come out of the system yet. Glad you're due home! X

Hope everyone one had a good Christmas. I survived cooking for 14 even had a bit of purée Christmas dinner, everyone laughed at my small portion, my 18 month old granddaughters dinner was larger than mine and I couldn't finish it. So today not so many only 8 to feed today. Have a good day all xx

Feeling so much more better now than I did a couple of days ago thAnk god! Getting bored of soup already what's everyone else having to eat I need some inspiration haha xx

I had two or three different flavours on the go and used to get Covent Garden soups pass them through the sieve along with making my own. I also made vegetable based nutribullet shakes again passing them through a sieve. It will go quicker than you think stick with it

Feeling so much more better now than I did a couple of days ago thAnk god! Getting bored of soup already what's everyone else having to eat I need some inspiration haha xx

Custard.. Nesquick (aka hot chocolate).. Sugar free Jelly... Tea... .. I also started yoghurt.

Also how much are u all having portion wise? I'm worried I'm having too much? I'm having a latter for breakfast, a mug size strained soup for dinner and the same for tea, is this too much? Aargh heads all in a muddle lol xx

I was told 3 meals and 2 snacks
Breakfast milky yogurt
Mid morning milky drink
Lunch sieved soup
Mid afternoon runny no added sugar custard
Dinner sieved soup

I had a cup rather than a mug as it hurt to drink too much in one sitting.

Thanks guys much appreciated, think I've got more questions now I'm post op than I did when I was pre op lol xx

Caz - this is the first six weeks after bypass:

Weeks 1 & 2: 150ml simple fluids (ie water, NAS squash, tea and coffee, options hot choc) sipped over an hour, for 16 hours per day. Nothing else.

Weeks 3 & 4: Thicker fluids(absolutely no bits or lumps). Dilute Weetabix (just one biscuit) for example. Thickening up slowly as the days progress to loose mash potato.

Weeks 5 & 6: Puree stage, again thickening through to soft normal foods like scrambled eggs.

Week 6 onwards: Transit back to solid food. The goal is three small mainly protein meals a day, and three small snacks.

Always remember the pouch is the size of an egg which dictates portion size at all times and that capacity includes saliva. In the first weeks it is critical not to take on board to much too fast as the stitching needs to heal. Yes, it is alarming how small the capacity is which can lead to feeling that we cannot 'get food down' but it is actually how it will be for life - takes some getting used to, but that is the tool we have been given to work with. Nine months to a year from now you will be eating most things just not much of it. And it goes without saying that fats and sugars need to be avoided as they make us very unwell indeed.

You have doing well Caz - welcome to the Losers' Bench. So excited for you xxxxxx

My hospital are so different they had is on mashed potato and puréed fish the day after surgery!! I hope this hasn't affected my pouch :(

Thank u LGG much appreciated, just looking forward to being able to have something proper like mash and gravy something better than plain soup lol xx

I actually think the liquid stage is better than pureed I think it was easier choice wise.

Back