• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Do I have to inject myself after the sleeve?

Mrs Noodles

Hi

I've been reading on here that a few people have had to inject themselves post op to prevent clots? Is this normal as I don't think I could actually do it on myself as I have a fear of needles! :eek:

Depends on your provider hun but most do ask you to take anti embolism injections for a week or more as well as to wear TEDS (anti embolism stockings) at the same time. Personally I was six weeks as I. Have problems in the past. Don't worry hun the nurses will show you how to do it and you don't have to handle the needle or measure anything out as it comes in the form of a ready to use epi pen... You don't even see the needle unless you go looking for it.

I didn't have a sleeve but I had to inject for a week, but I only wore the stockings for a day, each provider is different and has different rules, best to ask.

Thanks very much for the reassuring replies. An epi pen doesn't sound too bad I suppose.

I had the sleeve and two weeks of injections post op. They are tiny and don't hurt, just a very tiny sting. I did bruise with them though. I couldn't wear stockings as my legs were too big, hence getting an extra week of injections. I hate needles too, but after the nurse showed me, I did it without trouble. x

Thaanks Pooh 71, I have to admit it was something I had never considered until reading it on here. I'll just have a man up! lol

Gosh I'm glad I'm on this site, not just very sure if I knew about these injections, oh well I do now. Can't says I'll be looking forward to injecting myself but I guess after being sliced and diced it should be a breeze...... Thank you, this place is invaluable x

Maybe your surgeon won't insist on them? fingers crossed for you!

How exciting having your sleeve in January, I'd like mine then, just need to pluck up the courage and book it.

Thaanks Pooh 71, I have to admit it was something I had never considered until reading it on here. I'll just have a man up! lol

Haha, you'll be fine. The first one was the worst because I was like you, really scared. But when I did it, I thought what was all the stress for! The following ones were then fine. You also have to think 'I'd rather do this than get a blood clot!'

I'm really not sure if he told me about them or not. I went into my consultation sure I was having the band but after a long chat he thought I might be better suited to the sleeve so my head was in a bit of a state when I left, that and my memory us a bit rubbish!

What's holding you back booking - are you still deciding on what surgery?

can't decide

Yeah I can't decide between wrap and the sleeve but leaning more towards the sleeve. Current bmi is 37.7.

My OH is also holding me back and that is the reason I didn't go ahead 14 months ago. I love him to bits so I listened to his concerns but now I'm heavier than ever.

It's so difficult trying to please everyone. I guess the reason that I am hardly telling anyone is because it's more enough for my head to deal with without others doubting attitudes and off course concerns. I guess i am lucky as my husband has seem me loose weight so may times before and then putting it all back on, that it was him that kind off suggested it.

Do you think if you just booked it and told him 'look that it, its done' that he might come around?

I'm kinda hoping that's the case. He's asked me to approach my GP first but I know I won't get referred due to my low BMI. He know's what it means to me, I think he's just worried.

Ah yes the financing - ironically we are using money that we had saved for an extension ( that only really I wanted) but instead of making something bigger we're gonna make something smaller ;)

I do feel really guilty about the money though and I think I will have to battle that one with my conscious for a while.

I did go to my gp as well and even though my bmi (at 45) qualified I was too healthy otherwise (a good thing I know) but it is a lot of money we are talking about!!

It's still worth approaching your GP. I have learnt that every NHS trust have different rules for wls

Bmi Healthcare in Aberdeen. I live about 30 miles away from it. The was slightly cheaper options but it would have meant traveling hours and I wasn't keen on being too far from home, the kids & husband, just for ease and well complication if any

I been looking at them and using the bmi healthcare card to fund it but I think they ask for 5% of the outstanding balance which is a bit steep for me at the moment.

Back