• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dolan Park 13th September Banded

HAVING MY FIRST FILL TODAY SINCE OPERATION

I've read my Email from THG about my appointment today - no food for 4 hours before and no drink 1 hour before. Other than that I don't know what to expect ! How painful is it ? - Do I get any diet advice ? Can my hubby come in with me ? Will I be ok to go to work tomorrow ? - I'd like to know the answers to these questions before I go but if not I'll defo update on my return in order to help others xx

Who is the appointment with? I used to see the dietician before the nurse for the band adjustment. The dietician talks through how you are progressing, what you are eating, and how hungry you are feeling to decide upon the level of fill you may need. It's generally a very quick in and out with the nurse. Teeny prick of a needle ... Easier than taking blood or injection at dentist for example ... Then the saline is in your port. You are generally then asked to sit in the waiting room and sip both a hot and cold drink to make sure you are not over restricted. If you are, do say something and they can remove a teeny bit of saline. You don't want to suffer from being overfilled ... As that does not speed up the weight loss. Once you say you are ok, you can go. Hubby really will not need to be in the room with you, but you could always ask if you want ... Liquids to follow ... How long for, will depend on how much of a fill you have been given... Then back to work! A band fill should really not affect you, apart from helping you feel fuller for longer xxx have a great day :)

Thanks flutterby for your quick response - now I know exactly what to expect - the reason I wanted hubby there is if I speak with a dietician - the reason being he does all the cooking and I thought it would be good if he heard the guidelines first hand. Thanks again for the response x

1ST FILL COMPLETE

It appears I already had 3mls not 2ml in my band as stated on my notes - when I had my band fitted. The nurse has now taken me up to 5 and said I should receive another fill in about 4 weeks . She said it is more common to either stay the same or even gain weight in weeks 3 and 4 because of the calories increase from liquid to mush. She also said to be prepared that I still may not lose the weight I want until I hit the SWEET SPOT - which may be around the 7ml stage.

Anyhow the actual procedure took seconds and I felt absolutely no pain. She said I still have quite s bit of swelling which may just Br congelled blood which they will try and disperse next time.

I'm now on liquids for 3 days and the mush for 3 days - who knows maybe it will kick start my loss . :)

Pleased all went well...looking forward to a progress update next weekend x

Do you want to describe in detail your experience of first fill? Just so that we know what to expect. Or is flutterby's description above nearly the same as yours?

My first fill was very easy and painless it's not half as bad as you expect and takes 2 seconds , jumped on couch lay flat ,tense tummy like doing a sit up ,found port inserted tiny needle almost painless as they only go in the top layer of skin ,measured how much was in there put 2 mls in done , it really was as simple and painless as that and I'm a big chicken hope this helps xx

Flutterby and Snack - was spot on - I took my Hubby just in case I couldn't drive ! There was absolutely no need totally painless :). The first 10 mins was spent discussing how normal it is for banders not to lose weight in week 3 and 4. Totally put my mind at rest.

The actual process consist of them feeling for the port and then injecting a very fine needle - from that they can tell how much was in and then they just made up the difference. Went into the waiting room had a glass of water and then a drinking chocolate and then went home. Simples :)

Love your diary updates ;)
Hope you doing well and weight running off ya now ;)
I'm getting my band on the 8th December and can't wait even after reading the diaries of other bander's
I think my mind is in the right place ;)
Xxx love all you guys and your honesty xxx

Dimples70 said:
Flutterby and Snack - was spot on - I took my Hubby just in case I couldn't drive ! There was absolutely no need totally painless :). The first 10 mins was spent discussing how normal it is for banders not to lose weight in week 3 and 4. Totally put my mind at rest.

The actual process consist of them feeling for the port and then injecting a very fine needle - from that they can tell how much was in and then they just made up the difference. Went into the waiting room had a glass of water and then a drinking chocolate and then went home. Simples :)

It's great reading this Dimples! I am on 2 nd week of sloppies and feel at the moment I can eat a lot still! Not as much as pre op but still getting hungry! Awaiting dietician to arrange a call as first appointment I'm away! Having first fill on 10th November! Am getting frustrated as scales aren't moving a great deal but I know I need to await my fill! Feel week 3-4 ur in limbo land really! Living on cottage pie lol and porridge! Lol :)

Last edited:
SAS1 said:
I'm dying for cottage pie :) My ops tomorrow thank goodness! Found the Pre op diet so hard this week, been hungry everyday. Sooo looking forward to my little band buddy tomorrow and the cottage pie stage :) x

Good luck ur be fine! Your be on the losers bench before u know it :)

Thanks for this - what a fabulous thread. I'm due my first fill on the 7th Dec and was worried about how it would be. My worries have now gone. Hope your fill is having the desired effect x

really enjoyed reading this, the ups and the downs so thankyou. Its given so much information that only a post-bander could give to a pre-bander. im going in for my op on 29th December with DR SIDERGSSON at DOLAN PARK. hope i find someone whos op is near mine like you did, great to share with someone else at the same stage. Relly hope you keep updating would be great to know how ur getting on.

Back