• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Feel a bit of a fraud for being here now...

Thanks Lizzie (and everyone). I know I will never be free of the HMS, it's far too advanced now and was made worse by many operations when I was a child that have done irreprable (sp?) damage. However, loosing the weight has given me back that little bit of energy I needed just to try.

Has to be said, I really paid for my exertions last night, as I was in a lot of pain when I went to bed, but at least I had a smile on my face.

It was strange seeing things in the shops and looking down at them instead of looking up and not having to ask other people to reach them for me. Only thing was, obviously I knew I needed to be careful about falling over and watching my step, but no one else did, hence I got barged into several times. Oh well, every plan has it's drawbacks. Still glad I done it though. Having a rest at home today.

Thanks again for the congrats peeps :D

When I went to see the Consultant/Dietician & Psychiatrist at my last appointment, the Consultant said I would hear from them in the New Year with a date for surgery. Now I've had another appointment to go and see the consultant next Friday. Has anyone got any idea what this appointment could be for? I've tried ringing the hospital, but continually get passed from pillar to post. I've left messages which are not answered. If it's simply for a weigh in or something, I'd rather get that done at my GP's as being disabled, hubby has to take a day off work to take me to the hospital, I'll have to arrange someone else to get the kids from school etc. It's a bit of a nightmare. If it's necessary then fine and I'm happy to go, but no one seems to be able to tell me what this is all about.

How many times did you see the consultant before your op?

Did you have any other appointments? If so what were they for?

Many thanks.

Ring again and ask to speak to the consultant's secretary. If you keep getting nowhere then contact the PALS (Patient Advise & Liason Service) officer at the hospital and explain the situation to them - if you contact them they have a duty to respond to your call.

All the very best

Agree with the above post was going to say the same thing...let us know how you get on and dont worry it might be good news...xx

Many thanks. Asked for the consultant's secretary, and got put through to goodness knows how many other departments (5 calls, not one of them getting through to the right person). Eventually called the clinic, and was then put through to the nurse who deals with the Bariatric surgery and she said that this appointment is to see the surgeon, so it is important that I attend.

Just a pain in the bum that it's in the afternoon and there will be no disabled bays so will have to pay the extortionate rates to park. Grrrrrr. Oh well, all in a good cause I guess.

Have just been to our local hospital with my brother (who has a disabled badge) and even though there were no disabled spaces he didn't have to pay the parking fee because of his badge - try checking when you arrive, you could be pleasantly surprised.

Have just been to our local hospital with my brother (who has a disabled badge) and even though there were no disabled spaces he didn't have to pay the parking fee because of his badge - try checking when you arrive, you could be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks Helen,

Unfortunately there weren't any regular bays either. Hubby had to park in another private car park with no concessions for disabled badge holders :sigh: £13 last time !!!

Gerry just been reading about your shopping trip, thats fantastic, i bet you fell exilerated and wanted to shout from the roof tops what you had achieved, keep up the good work, the rewards are showing already and good luck with your appointments to see the surgeonxxx

Thanks helen144

I do feel really good about what I achieved this week, but have told hubby not to expect it this week. Time of the month has put paid to that and I am back in bed feeling pretty awful and barely able to get around the house under my own steam. Ho hum. Hopefully things will be better next week.

Thanks Helen,

Unfortunately there weren't any regular bays either. Hubby had to park in another private car park with no concessions for disabled badge holders :sigh: £13 last time !!!

Bummer:(

Hi Gerry. i have just read your whole post, and you have had a tough time of it. i hope that seeing the surgeon is the last step for you and that you get an operation date. i went to my drs last week, and because he was all for it i thought that was it, but then i have always been a bit naive, its amazing what we all have to go through, if i broke my leg they wouldnt leave me waiting would they?! i look forward to reading the rest of your story and well done on the weightloss already. Bridie X

Hi Gerry. i have just read your whole post, and you have had a tough time of it. i hope that seeing the surgeon is the last step for you and that you get an operation date. i went to my drs last week, and because he was all for it i thought that was it, but then i have always been a bit naive, its amazing what we all have to go through, if i broke my leg they wouldnt leave me waiting would they?! i look forward to reading the rest of your story and well done on the weightloss already. Bridie X

Hi Bridie,

Many thanks for taking the trouble to read through my whole post. Hope it didn't bore you too much!

I'm feeling more positive now, as I've been to the group meeting and seen others who have had the operation, and seen the consultant, dietician and psychiatrist, and this forthcoming appointment is to see the surgeon himself. The Bariatric nurse said it was for him to decide if he was willing to operate on me. However, since he's under the consultant, and the consultant has given me the go ahead, I don't forsee any problems, but you never know.

I think if I have any worries at all, it's more to do with parking at the hospital than seeing the man himself :8855:.

I'm hoping that my other health problems may ease up after having the surgery too.

Have you checked out the NICE guidelines for your area to see if there are likely to be any 'postcode lottery' hurdles for you to jump? I hope you are in one of the 'good' areas. I'm pretty lucky in some respects, although as you may have read at the start of my thread, my GP initially told me that the PCT wouldn't entertain me unless I'd done 6 months (I think) of weight management. I had to check out the qualifications of those running it and it turned out that because I'm disabled, the people running it had no idea of how to handle someone with my health concerns, so I had to write everything down and put it in a letter to go before the PCT. The lady at the PCT was really nice and I was over the moon when she phoned me to say I'd been approved :D. Don't give up and keep reading on this forum as you will pick up some great tips.

Thanks again for your reply.

Had my appointment with the surgeon today. Unfortunately things are not going as smoothly as I hoped.

First off, blood pressure was through the roof, which was a surprise to me as I felt fine when I went in there. I've now been told to go back on tablets to control that (after a doc in A & E told me to stop taking them). Weight is down again (the only good point).

Saw the surgeon and he has said that first off I will have to spend a night in hospital to have a sleep test. Not too fussed about that.

The part I am bothered about is that I've now been told I have to have another operation before the bypass to insert an IVC Filter (that's an Inferior Vena Cava Filter) as I am at high risk of a Pulmonary Embolism (laymans terms means a blood clot which could be fatal). Can understand that they only have my best interests at heart, but it all came as a bit of a shock and was fighting back the tears when I came out (which didn't do much to help lower my blood pressure).

Aparently I should be getting my main op in February. Think I need to let all this sink in a bit for now. Apologies if I am a bit distant in the meantime.

Has anyone else had to have this done, who can give me some information on the operation itself? I was told I will be awake :eek:. Really worried about this now.

Hi Gerry,

Huge huge hugs for you chuck :hug99:

I can't help with the op sorry, but there are a few nurses on here, Helen and Ollie, who might be able to.

If you are awake, I would imagine you'll be given something like a pre-med to keep you calm and so you'll have very little memory of it afterwards.

It's good that they are getting you sorted before the op, this way you have the best chance for recovery. I know it all seems like delays now, but they sound important.

Take it easy, try and get your BP back down.

Shel x

Hi Gerry sorry to hear of yr delay but at least you know they are taking care of you. My friend had a IVC filter only a few months ago it was done under slight sedation and through femoral vein. They passed a little catheter into the vein and then inserted the filter. This was her second one as she suffers with DVT and her anticoagulants dont do the job. the first one she had fitted was done through her jugular vein. she has then gone on to have surgery after both insertions.
HTH
carole

Hi Gerry
omg your having a real tough time at the minute, i suppose you will just have to take one thing at a time and eventually im sure you will get there.
Now im not completley clear as to why you need the catheter is it bcos of your high blood pressure and weight?, are you unable to take anticoagulant drugs such as Warfarin? have you ever had a blood clot in the past? Is there a stong family history of such problems?

The inferior vena cava is the main vessel that leads blood back to the heart, they insert the catheter (under sedation) vis the femoral artery in the groin , it is not a painful procedure and is usually quite quick, the catheter opens up the vessel basically to allow the blood to flow easier through it thus preventing the formation of clots that may break up and get stuck in smaller vessels within the body.

It is not something that i know lots about so sorry i cant help too much, i do know that some hypermobility disorders also effect the vessels and other structures with in the body such a s the aorta (the main artery leaving the heart) is your hypermobility disorder this type, bcos this may also be a factor in why they are wanting to perform the procedure?

Do you get pains in your legs when walking? (intermittent claudication I think its called)

Make sure when you see your dr you get them to fuuly explain why you need this procdure.

I hope this has helped a little, I suggest you make an appointment with you GP to go throught things in more detail with youxxx

Hope you feel better soon hon

Helen
xxxxxx

Hi there Jerry, I've just spent the last hour reading about your journey. I'm sorry that you have to go through such traumatic times but it seems at last there is light at the end of the tunnel.

My experience with wls has spanned ten years. I had what was called 'stomach stapling' done ten years ago and it never worked, I probably lost only a stone or so but was treated so badly by all the medical staff it gave me a phobia and I never returned even once for checkups since that time. However I was lucky enough to be referred for a revision and had a gastric bypass done 11 days ago and I'm feeling great and so so different to the first one.

You'll get there and you have the support of every one on the forum and it will be well worth all the fighting you have had to do to get there.

Alia xxx

Thanks for the replies. I've kind of got used to the idea of the IVC filter now and not panicking so much about it. I guess it's just another step towards the ultimate goal and is there to help keep me alive.

Am getting quite fed up with my weight loss (lack of) at the moment, as despite still being on Slim-Fast, I'm still not loosing anything. I know I really need to exercise, so I must get on and deal with that and try to devise some kind of exercise routine that I can do daily. Walking is going to be the best thing for me I think. Must also learn to say no to food I know I don't need and eat then end up wishing I hadn't afterwards. Must drink more too.

Makes matters worse that I have a male friend who is steadily loosing 1 - 2lb a week and looks great, although he is doing sit ups and using an exercise bike and doing so well. And there is me doing naff all except having meal replacement shakes and loosing nothing :(.

Must try harder.

Back