• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Feel a bit of a fraud for being here now...

Hi Gerry,

I have read thru your thread and as a newbie bandster in Surrey would like to say hello.

I had mine Tuesday at Ashford, and I am at home recovering.

I am a diabetic and found the pre-op diet reasonably ok. It was weird being able to have sugar. But missed meat and cheese. I think they can adapt a diet to suit medical needs.

I lost 12lbs on it, and a further 6lbs already, so it's definitely worth all the pain and hard work.

I applied for funding on April 4th this year and had operation on 14th October. I'd say that was quick but I am very grateful to a very proactive doctor.

If you need to chat with someone local...I am here.

We can swap emails if that makes it easier...:)

cazbandy - Great to hear from you. Will send you my email addy in a PM (if I can work out how). I'm having my op at Charring Cross. Not sure when yet though.

Homer, thanks for the encouragement. It really means a lot to know others are behind me.

I keep meaning to weigh myself when I get up in the morning, but it's also the 'wrong time of the month' as I'm all bloated anyway, so will wait for a few days (by which time I hope I may loose more) and then do it. My watch is continually spinning round my wrist (already had five links removed, so will have to tighten it on the adjuster for now, then when I loose more still, will have to go and have more links taken out. The scales may not have moved (or at least they hadn't much when I weighed myself the other day) but, I can certainly see the difference in silly places like my wrists, fingers and even my face. I can't believe I am still going strong on it. No snacks at all. Each shake is keeping me going for six hours, so I have one when I get up at 7am, then another at 1pm and my dinner at 7pm. I honestly don't want anything else. I've kept a written record of what I used to eat, plus my transition onto this self imposed diet where I was 'using up' things I'd bought but gradually changing onto more healthy foods, and finally changing over to the two shakes and one meal a day with no snacks. I totted it all up earlier, I was having well over 2000 calories a day ! OMG how bad is that. Now it's less than half that and I don't feel hungry, giddy, no low blood sugar, and I have much more energy. I just wish the joint pain would go too but I know I'm stuck with that one, but the way I feel now, it's like being on a space hopper.

Someone said to me the other day that if I can loose weight like this, I won't need the bypass, but I think I do, because I know in the past diets have failed. This could too and I know for the sake of my other health problems, I can't let it get this bad again.

I feel on top of the world at the moment. :D

Gerry, sounds like you are doing well:D

But I know what you mean about long term success, I have lost weight many times before but it has always crept back on.

Now I have a tool in place that will a) stop me shoving so much food in my body and b) if I work with it, will keep the weight off.

It was this time last week I was under the knife, and already I cannot believe what a difference it has made, not just physically but emotionally. I no longer feel a prisoner to food.

I am bored right now, being at home with not much I can do but instead of turning to food, I am turning to the pavement - I love to go out and walk now.

I wish you every luck with whatever you decide - your decision is only right for you.

I decided to give my body the respect it so rightly deserves and have not done in years. This is my body - and it will be treated with love from now on.

I have added you to my buddy list and look forward to keeping in touch.:D

Thanks cazbandy, I did try to see if I could PM you, but you don't seem to have that option available yet. I think you have to make a certain number of posts before you get it. Really would rather not put my email addy on here or I'll get spammed.

Just thought I was going to have a bit of a failure on my diet. Had my first shake for breakfast, and have had a couple of cups of tea with skimmed milk. Due to have my second shake shortly but was feeling cold and hungry and was looking at other stuff thinking "shall I.....shan't I". Made myself another cup of tea to warm me up and tide me over for a while, and will have another shake shortly. Scales still haven't moved but still going to persevere with it. It's getting more difficult now but I really don't want to give up. I know I'll be so disappointed. Need to stay focused.

I still want to go for the bypass. I know at the moment that I could so easily give up if I wanted to, but with the bypass it's not so easy to do that.

Hi there Gerry,

Yeah I dont think I have hit the post count yet but here is my email address, [email protected] you can email me.

I am out at a friends tonight, taking a mini chicken dinner with me....LOL. But will get back in touch with you soon if you email me.:D

Hi there Gerry,

Yeah I dont think I have hit the post count yet but here is my email address, Expose Email you can email me.

I am out at a friends tonight, taking a mini chicken dinner with me....LOL. But will get back in touch with you soon if you email me.:D

Have done so cazbandy

I'm feeling happy, weighed myself today and have lost another pound.....yay me !!

Well done Gerry :)

Thanks ladies. It's great to have all the support on here.

Still sticking to my diet, although the scales haven't moved over the weekend, but not giving up.

Seeing the consultant on Friday. Really want to see if I can shift 2lb before then, that will be a whole stone lost since last April (pathetic really but better than nowt, and at least I have found the write up I done at the time to show them.

I think my only worry is that they are going to say I should try more dieting before going for the bypass, as I have no categorical proof of what I've tried in the past. That really would bring me down with a major bump, as I know personally what I've tried, but have no way of proving it.

Oh well, guess I'll find out on Friday.

Don't worry about it. A stone is not pathetic, it's fantastic. Friday will be fine.

Hi Gerry I think you have done great, good luck for friday I know how nerve racking it can be, we put every obstacle we can think of in the way and really we just dont know what anyone is going say until they say it....hope you lose your other 2lb as well...xx

Have done so cazbandy

I'm feeling happy, weighed myself today and have lost another pound.....yay me !!

Well done Gerry. Hope by Friday you'll lose that 2lbs you wanted. Good luck

Thanks everyone. WhenApril, I mean April 07, not April this year (see what I mean by pathetic ? :().

Had a rotten weekend. Hubby was in a foul mood and everything he said was negative. I was getting so depressed by it that in the end I thought I would go nuts if I didn't get away from him. I toyed with the idea of grabbing the car keys and driving off for an hour or so, but I know he'd have followed me. In the end I decided on a chocolate fix and scoffed a kit-kat. It didn't make me feel any better, in fact it made me feel worse :break_diet:

Back to my Slimfast shakes again this morning, but I feel like I'm going to crack. I was feeling so great, but it's really put a damper on things and I just want to eat normal food for a change. I know I have my dinner, and that's normal food, but I just feel like I want to eat 'properly' again. If it hadn't been for this past weekend being so damn miserable I think I'd have still been feeling great. Not trying to lay the blame at his feet, but it's just left me feeling so low and so hungry. :cry:

So sorry to hear your feeling bit crap!!!!!!! I know it is disheartning when someone is in a foul mood.......esp a loved one...... thinkin gof you hunny.... keep taking one day at a time

There is probably not one person on here that can't relate to using food to comfort emotions. We have all done it, and done worse than a single candy bar! Part of why people seek the surgical options for weight loss is that "diets" are temporary. And we begin to think it is the reason we are unhappy, if I could just eat normally, etc. However, with WLS you are physically compelled (to a point) to be more diet-like at least in the beginning. Just start fresh and celebrate how well you have done so far. Don't worry about Friday, it will go well. Just be honest & detailed about your journey so far. Good luck & keep us posted.

Thanks ladies :). Pleased to report hubby is out of his bad mood now, although I did end up with another kit-kat passing my lips last night :(. I don't want to end up having that every night as I feel so proud that I go all day without snacks.

Was a bit miffed this morning when I chatted to my friend who had her bypass in January. She's done well and lost eight and a half stone and is down from 23.5 stone to 15 stone. Anyway, I told her I was on the Slim Fast diet trying to show willing by loosing a few pounds up front, and she said I should be careful as Slim Fast causes heart attacks. Personally I think it's a load of old cobblers and I don't know where she's got that informtion from. I Googled it, and can't find any connection between Slim Fast and Heart attack anywhere. Anyhow, I'm not going to take any notice.

Wooooo hooooo !!!!!

I don't even care that hubby is back in his bad mood again (well I do really, but trying not to let it get to me so much).....I finally lost those 2lbs I wanted to shift before Friday :bliss:. That makes me down a whole stone from my heaviest weight in April last year. Terrible really to think it's taken me 18 months to loose a stone, although 6lb of it has been since I put myself on my healthy eating diet, then onto Slim Fast which I've been doing for two weeks.

Anyway, I'm a happy bunny. This is the longest I have ever managed to stick to any kind of diet, and the only time I've ever had this kind of result. Just hope they don't say I can't have the surgery.

Last edited:
well done Gerry x now stop worrying that they'll refuse the surgery!

Back